2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 door locks freezing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So...18N03, isn't this the 'fix' that a number of posters has had performed with no successful outcome ? Do we know, or have an idea, of whether the issue is mechanical or electrical, or both ? I know that I am repeating myself from previous posts...

Old 12-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
In January of 2018 I woke up at Marriott hotel in Omaha...15 degrees and 6 inches of snow and it was still coming down. Opened the truck to grab the snow brush and the drivers door would not latch. Drove it 6 miles to a Ford dealer (one hand holding the door closed. The other on the steering wheel). 3 hours later I have a new latch.

1 week ago I received the latter on the FSA for my doors and the next day the drivers door happened again. This past weekend (19 degrees outside) drivers door and rear passenger door won't latch.

I hit the locks and was able to get the rear door to latch after several tries.

Drivers door I could latch if I used my key to manually lock the door.

Appointment set for the 19th to get fixed. I checked the parts department, had them pull the parts for this "fix", they put my name on them and set aside for my appointment.

One dealership I called could not see the truck until January 8th and stated this is a problem overwhelming Ford right now.

On cold mornings I'm not even going to try the drivers door...I'm just going to enter the truck from the passenger side*.

*Another major benefit to the front bench seat!!!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
So, based on your one experience of using your key it sounds like linkages within the door is the issue ( that ant latch replacement faoling). My 2019 is on order, I would think that, in an effort to cut down on dealer service visits, Ford would install the parts that they best think at this time is the ‘fix’...did you get any indication of what kind of parts they pulled for your job ??

Old 12-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
So, based on your one experience of using your key it sounds like linkages within the door is the issue ( that ant latch replacement faoling). My 2019 is on order, I would think that, in an effort to cut down on dealer service visits, Ford would install the parts that they best think at this time is the ‘fix’...did you get any indication of what kind of parts they pulled for your job ??
Couple items to share here:

1. When I used the key on the drivers door the mechanism was pretty tough to turn...almost to the point I thought I might snap the key off. This latch was definitely frozen up. I drove to my eye doctor this morning...parked that side of the truck in the sun for 45 minutes..even though it wasn't over 32 degrees my latches finally started working normal again. If I can make it tomorrow morning (supposed to get down to 25 degrees tonight) then the rest of the weather between tomorrow and my appointment is above freezing so I should be OK.

2. I did see the work/fix instructions for this FSA. I stated to install the seal kit and use foam. When the parts counter worker came back with the parts in his hand he showed them to me and there are some plastic looking seals about 5 x 5 (inches) that look like they fit over the mechanism. I believe the foam sealant is used to seal these seals and spray anywhere else the repair person believes water could come in. They also listed grease and the possible replacement of the cables if those were bent or not working correctly on the FSA work instructions.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM
jwoodzx7r
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my truck back on Friday and then over the weekend the truck was in the freezing conditions for 2+ days (nights were below 20) and I'm happy to report that didn't experience a frozen latch at all. I checked them each morning and during the day. Hopefully this sticks and they dont come up again but I'm betting they do with some of the posts I've seen. My dealership was good enough to get the truck in and out in 2 days and there weren't any backorder issues that other posts have mentioned. They said they had done a few of these already so maybe they had the parts on hand already.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jwoodzx7r
I got my truck back on Friday and then over the weekend the truck was in the freezing conditions for 2+ days (nights were below 20) and I'm happy to report that didn't experience a frozen latch at all. I checked them each morning and during the day. Hopefully this sticks and they dont come up again but I'm betting they do with some of the posts I've seen. My dealership was good enough to get the truck in and out in 2 days and there weren't any backorder issues that other posts have mentioned. They said they had done a few of these already so maybe they had the parts on hand already.
Good to know. Maybe they have changed in how the technicians are performing the fix. Example, maybe they are using foam in places they were not in the earlier cases of locks still freezing.

When my drivers door lock froze in January 2018 I was told they used replacement parts to make this never happen again from the F150 frozen lock problem. So I don't know if my drivers door is suffering from a relapse of the same issue with improved parts or if they just took frozen parts out of my truck and gave me unfrozen new parts but not real long term fix. Tough to tell at this point.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am awaiting a call back from my dealer now. Oddly enough I had zero trouble with the door latches last winter.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Redrockerstl55---when you refer to cables, I assume mechanical cables that serve the same as the once-used rods?, not electrical cables...? one question I am wondering, this problem seems to be hit-and-miss, especially in light of the number of these doors that are out there...I'd be curious to know if those affected are frequently at the carwash more than those who are not experiencing the problem...a quick poll??

Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Yes...I was referring to the mechanical cables. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
I'd be curious to know if those affected are frequently at the carwash more than those who are not experiencing the problem...a quick poll??

Boom...poll created!!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Guys...I'm sure there are a ton of people following this thread or subscribed to it...I created a poll to help us understand how water may be impacting the locks/latches on our trucks.

Here is the link. Thanks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18352987

Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Tebpac
Trailering
My 2017 F250 is currently at the dealer for the frozen door locks. The first time it happened, 2 of the 4 doors would not unlock. Temps in the high 20's with heavy frost. The second time, 3 of the 4 were frozen. Was kind of shocked that when I called the dealer today, they had 3 of the 4 doors done after starting at 9:30 this AM. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tebpac
My 2017 F250 is currently at the dealer for the frozen door locks. The first time it happened, 2 of the 4 doors would not unlock. Temps in the high 20's with heavy frost. The second time, 3 of the 4 were frozen. Was kind of shocked that when I called the dealer today, they had 3 of the 4 doors done after starting at 9:30 this AM. Hopefully this will take care of it.
thats amazing. My dealer told me they needed my truck for 48 hours and I had an appointment and parts with my name on them.

I was told thr sealant needs time time to dry and that is why it took so long.

Make sure your service people are using sealant along with the recall/field service kit.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Tebpac
Trailering
I got the truck back after being in the shop for 2 days. Took them about a day and a quarter to do the freezing door notice work. Also had an oil change/ tire rotation so I received the call at noon on the second day. The gentleman at the front desk said that they take a while to do and they did use sealant etc. I could smell the sealant in the cab. I was stupid though. Today I went outside to start my car I drive to work and should have tried the locks because we had some ice rain last night that coated the cars. Next time I guess. I'll report back when I try them again.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM
gerrys5l
New User
Angry 2016 f150 King Ranch

frozen door latches for 3 straight years now and getting worse . dealership had my truck in 5 different times told me all kinds of stories about checking for bent rods and greased up latches all 5 times. 3 years later doors are worse than ever and now they just completed 18n03 . broke one of my handles 2 weeks to get the part apparently ??? we will see if it worked but im not optimistic.all my door exterior panels are soaked with oil now .

Quick Reply: 2018 door locks freezing