6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Tissues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Katie Isabel Hunt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLVED!

Alright this was crazy. Story below but right off the hop, I am guessing it was fuel pressure(I installed the blue spring kit) but it may have been the wiring harness at the vgt, oil temp or, oil switch(?)
So long story,
Only reason, from my reserch, for the 6.0 to go limp without a cel and a code is:
1. Fuel pressure
2.Over/Under Boost
3. EOT and ECT out of Delta

So logically, I get a fuel pressure guage from crappytire on their loan-a-tool program. Now I get home, unscrew the test port plug and of coarse, drop it. It's gone the way of the 6.0 feeding program cause I can't find it anywhere. Screw it, I'm going to get an answer from this truck if it kills me. Go to hook up the pressure guage and low and behold! The 2 fittings I need are MIA!
Now I'm quite upset at this point. So I go online and scour for the adapter plus fittings to replace the missing plug and, still do my pressure test. $40 and a 2 week wait???I don't think so! So back the guage goes to Crappytire with a rant to go along with it to the boys behind the counter...I'm down the $40 just in cabs at this point. I decided screw it and ordered the blue spring upgrade with gaskets regardless.
In the meantime I go looking online to find an Fing bolt to replace the bloody plug...to no avail outside of a 2-3week wait. Back out to the truck again for most of this aft(thankfully it was only 0C today) to search for the "eaten" plug. Low and behold(because I refused to rip apart the fan shroud), after 2 hours, I manage to get my arm inbetween the shroud and the pulleys to the only place I couldn't before, the crank pulley. Low and behold, right at the bottom against the engine there is my evasive friend. Another hour later trying to fit my fat fingers in there to swat it out I gave up and took the angle grinder to the shroud from below....hoping to god I don't hit the rad hose. Get about an inch cut out....enough for my fat fingers to reach in and use a hex key from the back to pinch that bugger out. Now straight back into the regulator you go my nasty little friend.
Now for the fight to get this spring installed, because I dont have a bucket to drop coolant, we're working around that hose now. After a fight shes in and back together.
Alright sweet. I have stuff apart and an EOT/ECT sensor...lets slam that into the oil. Rip out intake and degas to unplug sensors cause I sure as heck can't get thesocket in there with that in the way. Go to put the new one in...well...if the buggers at that part store hadn't given me the early 04 one instead of the late 04(I'm guessing is what happened). ~sigh~ put the old back in, looked over some chaffed spots to ensure no breaks, taped up and put everything back together.
I'm done at this point. I download Forscan in high hopes maybe it will read something torque doesn't. Start up the truck and Forscan won't read the ELM...awsome. This is how my luck is. Back to Torque and wait....wondering if I'm going to be pulling the turbo out at this point for inspection. Eyes closely on Torque readings and......nothing. Everythings right. Delta, vgt, map, baro ebp....everything is right. Tap peddle...then hold at 2000rpm...nothings wrong. Wait ten min....now it's definately in limp mode now....and nope, it's not. Go for a drive, cause it will definately go limp in 2 blocks.....but nothings wrong. Now I'm really pissed off. That spring shouldn't have fixed the limp mode. There must be a short.
Yet I have better throttle response. I scan for codes...nothing.
Now because I couldnt do the fuel pressure reading before or after I cant prove that the spring or gaskets were the issue but, with the lack of the 2nd injector code popping up, it must have been the fuel pressure.
Anyways, sorry for the long story. I thought I would share as there have been alot of people with similar issues and no posts about what they did to fix. I hope this helps someone....or maybe someone gets a laugh out of my horrid luck

Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 PM
ajsemtb
Senior User
Thank you and OMG! what a crazy ride. I'm glad you got it worked out though. Great write up and diagnostic info for the future!

Old 02-25-2018, 03:36 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
High EOT and High ECT by themselves can throw the truck into limp mode. It is possible that a low fuel tank level can also. Even low system voltage can throw it into a limp mode. Maybe even a few others. Codes and CEL's aren't always going to be there and most aftermarket code readers fall short of picking up all the codes (although Forscan is very good at reading all of the modules).

Originally Posted by Katie Isabel Hunt
...... right at the bottom against the engine there is my evasive friend. Another hour later trying to fit my fat fingers in there to swat it out I gave up and took the angle grinder to the shroud from below....hoping to god I don't hit the rad hose. Get about an inch cut out....enough for my fat fingers to reach in and use a hex key from the back to pinch that bugger out. Now straight back into the regulator you go my nasty little friend.

Alright sweet. I have stuff apart and an EOT/ECT sensor...lets slam that into the oil. Rip out intake and degas to unplug sensors cause I sure as heck can't get the socket in there with that in the way. Go to put the new one in...well...if the buggers at that part store hadn't given me the early 04 one instead of the late 04(I'm guessing is what happened). ~sigh~ put the old back in, looked over some chaffed spots to ensure no breaks, taped up and put everything back together.

...now it's definately in limp mode now....and nope, it's not. Go for a drive, cause it will definately go limp in 2 blocks.....but nothings wrong. Now I'm really pissed off. That spring shouldn't have fixed the limp mode. There must be a short.
The EOT and ECT are the same for all year models - 3C3Z-10884-AA. Sounds like you just were given the wrong part.

A flexible extension magnet and a flexible "pick up" are VERY useful tools if you don't have them already!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pick-Up-T...&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Too...SABEgKoIPD_BwE

Not sure why you didn't think low fuel pressure can cause a low power, but it can as mentioned a few posts ago. Hopefully you didn't damage any injectors due to low fuel pressure.

Lastly, a stubby 21mm wrench or a "cut-down" 21 mm deep socket will get the ECT sensor out w/ the least effort (no need to mess w/ anything other than the air intake and maybe the CAC tube).

Old 02-25-2018, 03:53 AM
kgburns
Senior User
After a month of pulling your hair out, you must be bald by now. Thanks for posting all your troubles and symptoms and even more thanks for keeping us informed of what finally fixed it.
Hope everything stays good for you now.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Katie Isabel Hunt
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
High EOT and High ECT by themselves can throw the truck into limp mode. It is possible that a low fuel tank level can also. Even low system voltage can throw it into a limp mode. Maybe even a few others. Codes and CEL's aren't always going to be there and most aftermarket code readers fall short of picking up all the codes (although Forscan is very good at reading all of the modules).
I didn't mention in this post that I had already checked temps, Batts, volts on FCIM as well as the harness and ref/ground/signal wires, because I already posted. The three I listed were my last to check before going ahead and blaming an injector. Low fuel was not on the list as I had just over 3/4 of a tank when the issue arised although, bad fuel was. I added fuel that morning and it was at about 1/3.

A flexible extension magnet and a flexible "pick up" are VERY useful tools if you don't have them already!
I only had access to an extention magnet, not flex. Its on my shopping list now!

Not sure why you didn't think low fuel pressure can cause a low power, but it can as mentioned a few posts ago. Hopefully you didn't damage any injectors due to low fuel pressure.
I didn't not think it caused low power. When it was brought up I then got schooled on the HEUI system operates. In this I also learned how the FMEM works in relation as well. I damn well hope I didn't damage any either but the truck has been parked since the issue started. How long it's been low, I don't know. Its not my truck. All I know is it was running fine and then bam, limp mode.

Lastly, a stubby 21mm wrench or a "cut-down" 21 mm deep socket will get the ECT sensor out w/ the least effort (no need to mess w/ anything other than the air intake and maybe the CAC tube).
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I was wondering how the heck to get the ECT off without removing the shroud. The sensor I was trying to get at was the EOT. I couldn't pull the harness away from the oil filter housing to fit the socket in there and couldn't undo the oil pressure switch without removing the intake to the turbo(fat fingers...small spaces...). Which wasn't all bad as I noticed some chaffing points I missed upon earlier inspection and was able to rewrap the wires
Thanks again Bismic. You helped tremendously in guiding me through troubleshooting the problem. Yahiko as well, thank you!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Katie Isabel Hunt
Junior User
AH the fuel prob. I forgot. I had initially ruled it out at first because the truck started fine and ran fine until it got to operating temperatures. I never had a problem starting or running until temps got up. I went to the egr system as the culprit with that info. I realized after a while that the truck was actually going into limp mode as soon as I put it into gear....load on the engine. I then dragged myself back to fuel pressure after our discussion Bismic. My rational afterwards was, the regulator was building adequete pressure to start and initially run but either one of the gaskets was dropping psi, or maybe the spring coped out, causing the pressure to drop below what it should, hence limp mode. I started to think maybe it's not temps but timed. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put the pressure gauge on the system to see. I definitly will be making a purchase for the adapter port to watch that. I started distrusting what torque was reading after I noticed that the fuel volume required was in around, 46,000,000,000,000 gph give or take a few trillion(yes that was the number)....which also should have been a sign that the truck was thirsty, lol.