Rare?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
C0TF-13A805-F .. P/S Horn Ring / Obsolete

1959/60 F100/600 Custom Cab w/18" diameter steering wheel / 1959/60 C500/1100 Custom Cab & F700/1100 Custom Cab w/20" diameter steering wheel.
So the power steering is most likely a dealer add on and the kit came with a new horn ring? Also interesting.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Pobo
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
So the power steering is most likely a dealer add on and the kit came with a new horn ring? Also interesting.
Thanks Again! So, is there a way to check/verify if everything matches up and original? Is the frame and engine serialized to match the vin plate?? Also, is there a reliable appraisal online?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
There should be a vin number stamped on the frame. Usually on the passenger side, under the cab. You can see mine in this picture.

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:48 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Not really any such thing as numbers matching on a Ford. You can use casting or part numbers to see if parts are consistent with the parts a certain year model would have had. Earlier flathead stuff had part or all of the serial number on the top of the transmission or bell housing but when you hear someone say they have a numbers matching Ford they are blowing smoke, they've been hanging out with too many chevy guys.
Even with the so-so repaint, that is still one rare truck IMO. I've only ever seen a handful of 50s Ford pickups with automatics and until now never one with power steering.
As far as appraisal, they are all over the place. Many of them unrealistically high. You best bet is just do research and see what trucks have been selling for. I always go to ebay first and look at sold listings. What people are asking means nothing.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Pobo
Junior User
Not really any such thing as numbers matching on a Ford. You can use casting or part numbers to see if parts are consistent with the parts a certain year model would have had. Earlier flathead stuff had part or all of the serial number on the top of the transmission or bell housing but when you hear someone say they have a numbers matching Ford they are blowing smoke, they've been hanging out with too many chevy guys.
Even with the so-so repaint, that is still one rare truck IMO. I've only ever seen a handful of 50s Ford pickups with automatics and until now never one with power steering.
As far as appraisal, they are all over the place. Many of them unrealistically high. You best bet is just do research and see what trucks have been selling for. I always go to ebay first and look at sold listings. What people are asking means nothing.
Thanks again! The appraisal is just curiosity, but to verify everything is original or I guess true to original is what Im after. Also, ND said the rear axle was a 'special order'. This thing seems extremely low geared - that might explain it?

Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Pobo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pobo
Thanks again! The appraisal is just curiosity, but to verify everything is original or I guess true to original is what Im after. Also, ND said the rear axle was a 'special order'. This thing seems extremely low geared - that might explain it?
So in y'alls opinion is this worth going all out for to restore? Ive always had old trucks and can do quite a bit, but body work, paint and the other arts cannot.

So far Ive got all zerks to take, new tie rods, tires, exhaust, shocks, gas tank (was crap), fuel pump, new carb, motor mounts, water pump, distrib/wires, a million dollars in rubber (strips/seals, etc). Have a new oil pump and pan gasket. Needs seat and chrime bumpers.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got mine appraised years ago for insurance reason,mine has been in the family since new,my uncle bought it and had the 4bbl installed before he even drove i off the lot,it is a 59 f100 short bed custom cab,it has chrome front and rear bumpers,grille,y block 292 3 spd on the column with overdrive,i have owned it for 35 years,yours is very rare,there would only be a few out there if theres even any,enjoy it,i would leave it like it is,but thats just my option,

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Pobo
Junior User
Originally Posted by sawmaned
i got mine appraised years ago for insurance reason,mine has been in the family since new,my uncle bought it and had the 4bbl installed before he even drove i off the lot,it is a 59 f100 short bed custom cab,it has chrome front and rear bumpers,grille,y block 292 3 spd on the column with overdrive,i have owned it for 35 years,yours is very rare,there would only be a few out there if theres even any,enjoy it,i would leave it like it is,but thats just my option,

Thanks! I wouldnt change it - just want to make it as original as possible. Its just doing the body/paint etc. is more than I started out wanting to do. If it is one of a kind I think I should though.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:25 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Being rather a minimalist, I wouldn't do anything unless it needed it. That is a very nice truck just like it is. Even doing your own labor you can get 2-3 times what a car will be worth into a full restoration.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Pobo
Junior User
Being rather a minimalist, I wouldn't do anything unless it needed it. That is a very nice truck just like it is. Even doing your own labor you can get 2-3 times what a car will be worth into a full restoration.
Thanks again! Im a mech.engineer but a so-so auto mechannic - prob. why I like it so much! At work would Never use the shotgun approach, but working on old trucks just blast away....

Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 AM
Joshua1960
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very clean truck you have there! That's one of the most original and rare trucks I've seen in quite some time. Your paint code that wasn't listed earlier would be Torch Red, I believe.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Pobo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Joshua1960
Very clean truck you have there! That's one of the most original and rare trucks I've seen in quite some time. Your paint code that wasn't listed earlier would be Torch Red, I believe.
Thank You Joshua! Appreciated. Mechanically speaking its going well so far. The dreaded seats are next - some great info on this site! Any idea of most-likely or probable original seat color/pattern/matl with the "torch red" color code? Also assuming this paint job prob is Not a direct match to that particular code.

Thanks Again!
P

Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
One little detail I would attend to if it was mine is the front bumper. I know it's just me but painting bumpers body color just screams sloppy body shop. It should be chrome but even painting it white and getting the frame stubs black would be a nice detail, IMO. You might take some fine steel wool to it and find a nice chrome bumper under the paint.
If you are into detail, you could hand paint the red back into the letters on the hubcaps and into the ribbed background on the hood emblems.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Pobo
Junior User
One little detail I would attend to if it was mine is the front bumper. I know it's just me but painting bumpers body color just screams sloppy body shop. It should be chrome but even painting it white and getting the frame stubs black would be a nice detail, IMO. You might take some fine steel wool to it and find a nice chrome bumper under the paint.
If you are into detail, you could hand paint the red back into the letters on the hubcaps and into the ribbed background on the hood emblems.
GMorning WB! Totally agree with the bumper comments - chrome front/back is on the list. For the reasons you say, but more importantly 'cause my friends yell "Wheres the Fire?!?" when I pull up.....

Also, have my wife recruited to do the hand painting you suggest. Is that straight-up white, or is there a correct color code to it?

Thanks!
P

Sorry think I misread your comment - wife is going to hand-paint the tailgate 'FORD' raised letters. Thats the color Im asking about. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I think there is a name and code for the white trim. It might be Colonial white or Wimbleton white, both have more of a cream color, not a bleached white.

Quick Reply: Rare?