2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Installed Remote Access

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:57 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gpf2ez
There in an Android app that I am using. You can also use the website. You have 5 functions: Lock / Unlock / Find / Start / Stop. All the find function does is honk the horn and flash the lights, pretty much what Panic does.

The app requires the Sim ID for the Sim that is included in the kit and also a pin which is setup by the dealer.

The yearly fee is $50 after a 3 day trial.
I didn't see how you could tell if the vehicle was locked? will the app tell you?
Also did you buy the one off e-bay or thru the dealer? if you don't mind me asking what did installation cost as well as the cost of the unit?

I only see one reasonably priced one on e-bay now.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 PM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hollapm
I didn't see how you could tell if the vehicle was locked? will the app tell you?
Also did you buy the one off e-bay or thru the dealer? if you don't mind me asking what did installation cost as well as the cost of the unit?

I only see one reasonably priced one on e-bay now.
Sorry it is hard to show in screen shots. When you press one of the options the phone will make a noise, vibrate and the icon will change color when it confirms the command.

I bought the kit on ebay from Fairway Ford. They are great to deal with. My dealer did the install for 1 hour of labor ($125 I think).

Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
what is the range of the phone remote start?
is it like Onstar in the GM where you can start from anywhere?

I loved having the ability to start my truck while I was still inside work, walk out to the parking garage, and have the truck warmed up and ready to go

Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 AM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Originally Posted by kylant

I loved having the ability to start my truck while I was still inside work, walk out to the parking garage, and have the truck warmed up and ready to go
It is a cellular module that is installed with a SIM card. I am not sure who the cell provider is but as long as the truck is in a service area you can start it from anywhere you have internet access.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kylant

As long as both the truck and the phone have a signal, then the range is unlimited.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 PM
spatel23
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the install is incredibly easy. Literally plug 2 wires into one box and find a place to mount them under the steering column.
I felt stupid for asking for install instructions after I opened the box and read the instructions.
Hardest part is getting a dealer on the phone to activate it and give you the PIN

Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
wec512
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reference your comment "Hardest part is getting a dealer on the phone to activate it and give you the PIN"..... I thought the truck needed to be taken to the dealer to get activated, thought they had to connect something to the truck to get the truck to recognize the new equipment - you comment leads me to believe the dealer can do it over the phone - is that true? If so, this is great news.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:18 AM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Originally Posted by wec512
Reference your comment "Hardest part is getting a dealer on the phone to activate it and give you the PIN"..... I thought the truck needed to be taken to the dealer to get activated, thought they had to connect something to the truck to get the truck to recognize the new equipment - you comment leads me to believe the dealer can do it over the phone - is that true? If so, this is great news.
This is correct. You can do a self install. The dealer needs the SIM ID to setup your account. They use your email and create a pin. I had mine installed by the dealer because my salesman cut me a deal when I bought the truck.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wec512
If the truck already has the factory remote start, then you don't need the dealer to connect anything.

If the truck does not have factory remote start, then yes the remote start function must be activated - either the dealer connects IDS and does it there, or there are instructions on this site to purchase an OBDII connector and get some software and do it yourself.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:26 AM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Thank you for clarifying Curtis. Sometimes I forget not everyone has that by default.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you confirm if your alarm goes off what types of notifications you get? My dealer is clueless and I simply want a two way alarm for my truck. If the app or the modal can send a alarm, text, email whatever it would be greate.

I don't trust people in my town. 10 years here and 8 attempts on my truck to date.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:42 AM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
Can you confirm if your alarm goes off what types of notifications you get? My dealer is clueless and I simply want a two way alarm for my truck. If the app or the modal can send a alarm, text, email whatever it would be greate.

I don't trust people in my town. 10 years here and 8 attempts on my truck to date.
I have been meaning to test that myself. There is an option in the app to specify alert recipients. I did not include a screenshot inside because it shows my cell number and email.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy

Yep. On the IPhone it's under Settings<Alert Recipients

Personally I like the text option because that always comes through faster than email, usually within 5 seconds of the alarm being triggered.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:00 AM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Yep. On the IPhone it's under Settings<Alert Recipients

Personally I like the text option because that always comes through faster than email, usually within 5 seconds of the alarm being triggered.
Curtis, have you had any false alarms?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM
wec512
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent info Curtis. I plan on adding the remote access option and it is nice to know I wont have to go to the dealer. I may be back to this thread for more advice when I get my truck.

Quick Reply: Installed Remote Access