Bronco II Ford Bronco II

got a few ?'s about sus parts and a 302 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:26 PM
goinlowbII
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question got a few ?'s about sus parts and a 302 swap

sup all ... looking for some help i have 3 b II's 2-88's and a 89 and im looking to drop a 302 in my 89 and lower it but im having conflict between a few internet sites . i want to take my 4wd out and replace it with a 2wd front out of a ranger, my ? is will the brackets and i beams out of the 2wd bolt up to the 4wd x member and frame ? and is there difrence's between years ? .. Also my moter and tranny choise is a 5.0 H.O/and a c-4 out of my 88 gt that i have totaled last month it was carb converted with a few nice bolt on's ..the car ran 12.03's on moter and 11.30's @121 on a 100 shot of n.o.s. i just wanna fast b II to take out the s-10's in my area .. but what is the best and easyest way to drop the 302 in the b II , any advice on either subject im much thankfull for ...... btw great forum and site

Old 08-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Scooter29
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there goinlowbII and welcome to FTE!
You shouldn't have any problems converting to 2wd using the ranger parts. The only difference between years, is the 82-83 and the 92 and on.
The motor mounts you can get from Summit Racing, as well as the radiator. If you can, try to use the stock manifols from your 88. If not, you'll have to buy a set of conversion headers. Expensive!
Since you want to lower the BII, you only have 2 choices in this area. The left valve cover is going to hit the blower housing on the firewall. You'll either have to remove the housing all together (probably not a good choice in Pa.) or mount the engine a couple of inches forward. The second choice is best. You'll have to do some welding, but it'll be a great and clean conversion.
You'll be kicking some S-10, as well as Camaro Butt! Good luck buddy and have fun!
Talk with you later....

Old 08-23-2003, 01:15 AM
goinlowbII
Junior User

hey man thanx i been doing some other reading and im just gonna modify the heater box '' yeah it gets cold here " and i found a set of manifolds off a 5.0 explorer i can mostlikeley use . and two other things .. will i have to modify my driveshaft or is the c-4 about as long as my 5-speed and transfer case? and is the wireing fairly easy for the carbed 5.0 . like the starter wire and all that dummy light stuff ? again thanx.. this site rocks !!!

Old 08-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Scooter29
Elder User

With the transfer case out of the way, you'll need to locate a driveshaft from a 2wd or have one cut and balanced. If you can find one from a 2wd BII, you might be able to use some parts from it. I would check the auto salvage yards.
Yes, the Explorer manifolds should work for you. Good idea!
All the electricals should be ok. Since it's carbed, not much else to do. Make sure you don't snip any connections from the wires though. You may want to mark them as well until the conversion is done. That way, if you do have any problems, your mechanic can just look at it and tell you what needs to be done. You can take a few pictures of it as well.
You probably won't be satisfied with using the idiot lights and stock gauges anyways. You can get a good set for about 75 bucks. Oil Pressure-Voltmeter-Water Temperature. You may want to get a decent tachometer as well!
Talk with you later....

Old 08-23-2003, 01:37 AM
goinlowbII
Junior User

hey man thanx again .. if any of you got yahoo mes i got my user name posted in my profile thingy later on

Old 08-27-2003, 05:51 PM
BART M
Junior User

if you need help on converting it to 2wd holla at me, i can tell you what all has to be done. and for the 302 also.
btw for headers i personally like the hooker super comp long tubes. it gave mine a nice growl. and i would also take the c4s driveshaft and have it cut down to fit the b2, that way you know you have a driveshaft that is gonna be ok with it. and for the sdimes....ha. scooter got it right when he sed camaros. that b2 is gonna haul when you get it done...you and me might have to line em up one night.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey there BART M! Thanks for the info! I didn't know someone was making long tubes for the conversion. I've got to get out more often!! HEE HEE! Have you got a part number for us out here? Thanks.... Talk with you guys later....

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 PM
BART M
Junior User

ok through jegs part# 520-6802. they go for 329.99 and they are black. they work for the column shift, but you can mod the collector so itll work on floor shift AT. which is what had to be done to mine. they make it all the way back to almost the tranny x-member.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...06&prmenbr=361

Old 08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey BART M! Thank you sir! They're even $125.00 cheaper than the shorties! A little mod goes a long way! And thank you for the link! Talk with you later.....

Old 08-28-2003, 08:31 AM
goinlowbII
Junior User

ok .... i was looking around and im not shure but the 2wd ibeams look a little difrent in how they mount .. think id be better off just leaving the 4wd i beams in the front and gutting it..or am i just blind?............but yeah i need help.... lol .. thanx again if you all got yahoo or aol let me know and ill give you my s/n

Old 08-28-2003, 11:07 AM
BART M
Junior User

yeah, youve got a couple of ways to go on the 2wd swap.
1) keep it b2 sus. if you change from 4wd to 2wd B2 suspension then your gonn have to get the engine x-memeber for a 2wd B2 so the passenger side beam will bolt up correctly.
2)you can swap to ranger suspension, which the pass beam is a little longer than b2. in this case you can swap it to a ranger xmemeber
OR the ulitimate mod for it, only for fabricators....or just people who are cheap and lazy such as myself. get the front ranger suspension. driver side beam will bolt up. draglink will bolt up, coils, and radius arms will bolt up. youll need 2wd ranger spindles obvisously..............really and truely, you only need the ranger ibeams, spindles, and rotors, the rest of the stuff is the same for ranger/b2. ok what you do is bolt everything up except the pass beam, take all measurements..ie:from a designated point on the driver ibeam, then pull the pass ibeam in until the same measurement matches. you need to do it for in, front/back that way the wheel is centered. ok once youve got your place marked for where the ibeam is to bolt up, then you need to place "your new mount there, and weld/bolt and weld it in place. i used some 3"x3" box tubing that was a 1/4" think......i think, it might be 1/8. i can go into much greater detail, i just need you to ask me specific questions, cuz i can sit here and ramble about the whole week of work on it. what are the main problems, trust me if your having a problem ive already had it.

and just so noone thinks the mount wont last on there, im goin on my 4th year as a 2wd and the 306 jerks the front supension all over the place, when i get all in it. havent seen a problem yet.

also forgot, if you gut the front end...your stuck with a stock 2wd height b2, their are no drop beams for those style beams, what i gave you up there will allow you to have drop beams. and i would do the range sus, the ranger beams are about 150 bux cheaper than the b2 beams.
holla

Last edited by BART M; 08-28-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
goinlowbII
Junior User

aight .. how bout i just bring it to you and have you do all ths .. lol .. it dont sound too bad just alot of making shure stuff is in order and plum, id just be playing stupid to try and find a 2wd bronco II front in pa . im shure there is some but .... yeah few and far would the easy route be just to do the ranger engine x member and knock the one out the b II and just bolt and weld it .. and if so it does go in the same place . not moved front or back any ? i think thats about all ill need to know for the time being .

Old 08-28-2003, 02:00 PM
BART M
Junior User

yeah, in that case id probabaly tell you to look and see the differences in between em. if the rivets that go thru it to the coil towers look the same...then id line em up like that. i can tell you the diffs between them physically but not how they go in.......but i would say to line the x-member back up to the coil towers, surely if it wasnt 100% in the right place it would be so close it isnt funny. and yes id do the ranger one.....hence if you wanted to lower it more later then you can. ranger i beams are like 290 and they lower 3" and the B2 2wd beams are 450 and lower it 2".
i got about 2" out of the swap, 3" beams, 1" coils and the 306 pushed it down another inch. so 7" in the front

Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 PM
goinlowbII
Junior User

man you got a pic of this thing im kinda wonderen what its gonna look like ... i started some body work this afternoon .. started to take out that weird body and chucked the back seats and carpet for now ..but thanx alot again

Old 08-28-2003, 06:09 PM
BART M
Junior User

yeah heres some

Quick Reply: got a few ?'s about sus parts and a 302 swap