6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P0471 & P1247 Blown Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:28 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 922 Likes on 331 Posts
P0471 & P1247 Blown Turbo?

Bad day for the 2011 yesterday. Pulling my TT home from a great weekend tailgate. Stopped at rest area for a bio break. While accelerating on the on-ramp back to highway speeds, I hear/feel a pop under the hood. Immediately pulled over, and did a quick visual inspection, didn't see anything obvious, nor was anything dripping. Proceeded back onto highway.

Torque Pro indicated a P0471 & P1247, however no CEL lit on the dash. Noticed turbo boost was zero/near zero, and power output was way down. All 4 EGT sensors indicating 1000-1200 degree temps the entire time. Was able to make it home at reduced speeds. Noticed an odor burning engine oil too.

Was afraid truck wouldn't restart, so took it directly to the dealer after dropping trailer at home. Seems as though this should be covered under the 100K engine warranty, and I am at 95K now, so the timing was good if it was going to happen.

While waiting for the official dealer diagnosis, anyone care to submit your theories?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Here are the details from the codes from the Motorcraft OBDII for your truck. Maybe an inlet tube? Or maybe a turbo? Hopefully covered under warranty.

P0471

Turbine Upstream Pressure Sensor Plausibility Checks

The turbine upstream pressure sensor has plausibility checks to make sure that the sensor is not stuck in a range. If the ambient pressure is above a threshold, the monitor determines if there is warm or cold weather based on engine coolant and environmental temperature. In the case of high altitude or cold weather, the engine off timer and difference between the engine coolant and environmental temperatures are compared to thresholds to determine if the pressure sensor may be frozen. At key-on the turbine upstream pressure sensor reading is compared with the ambient pressure sensor reading, if the difference is greater than a calibrated threshold an ambient offset error condition is flagged. If the sensor may be frozen, the engine is operated with reduced torque until the sensor is determined to be in a thawed state. Once thawed, the turbine upstream pressure sensor is compared with a modeled pressure under a calibrated window of engine speed and load. If the difference between the sensor and model is greater than a calibrated threshold, then a model offset error is present and a malfunction is detected. If an ambient offset error at start is present when the sensor is not frozen, then a malfunction is detected. If a model offset error is detected when the sensor is thawed, then a malfunction is detected. Model offset error detection is not conducted under high transient mass airflow conditions, or at high altitude.

Turbine Upstream Pressure Sensor Plausibility Check Operation:

DTCs

P006D– Barometric Pressure Turbocharger/Supercharger Inlet Pressure Correlation
P0471– Exhaust Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance

P1247

Functional Underboost Monitoring

The underboost monitor works in a similar fashion to the overboost monitor by comparing the desired vs. actual measured boost pressure while in a specific range of closed loop boost pressure operation. If the boost pressure governor deviation is greater than the calibrated threshold for 7 seconds, a fault is detected and the P-code is set. The closed loop monitoring window is defined as any inner torque above 50 nm, and any engine speed above 1500 rpm. The threshold limit is wider for the underbooost monitor due to transient boost system response, compensation for boost pressure lag, and short term (1-2 second) momentary torque truncation when air path torque is kept high, but fueling is limited for component protection. This diagnostic will detect a gross air path leak such as the turbo discharge or CAC discharge tube being blown off, major pre-turbo exhaust leaks, or a turbo stuck in the full open VGT position.

Overboost Monitor:

DTCs

P1247 - Turbocharger Boost Pressure Low
Monitor Execution

Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks for the feedback Larry! Reps sent.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:31 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Bad day for the 2011 yesterday. Pulling my TT home from a great weekend tailgate. Stopped at rest area for a bio break. While accelerating on the on-ramp back to highway speeds, I hear/feel a pop under the hood. Immediately pulled over, and did a quick visual inspection, didn't see anything obvious, nor was anything dripping. Proceeded back onto highway.

Torque Pro indicated a P0471 & P1247, however no CEL lit on the dash. Noticed turbo boost was zero/near zero, and power output was way down. All 4 EGT sensors indicating 1000-1200 degree temps the entire time. Was able to make it home at reduced speeds. Noticed an odor burning engine oil too.

Was afraid truck wouldn't restart, so took it directly to the dealer after dropping trailer at home. Seems as though this should be covered under the 100K engine warranty, and I am at 95K now, so the timing was good if it was going to happen.

While waiting for the official dealer diagnosis, anyone care to submit your theories?
Hi djousma,

This sounds like a job for your regional customer service manager; send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and the dealer's name.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Todd

Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have had my intake tube pop off on my 03 before leaving it gutless ( turbo side ) it was a easy fix, just put it back on and tighten clamp. hopefully that's all your is, mine also made a pop sound under hood

Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
So did you see a turbo boot failure when you pulled over?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:19 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by senix
So did you see a turbo boot failure when you pulled over?
No, and I looked specifically for that, because it had happened on my 2005 6.0L

Dealer did call me, and said that's what it was. Service writer "tech cleaned it up, and reinstalled it, we'll see if that does it, if it happens again, we should replace it",

I asked the service writer how much the part was, he said $165. I admonished him for not calling me prior to the tech reinstalling the old one. Told him for $165+ labor, I wanted a new one put on so that I am not coming back for this again.

One thing I was wondering, and maybe you guys know, the truck was in a month or so ago to replace plugged EGR cooler. Would they have had to disconnect this to do EGR cooler replacement?

Oh, and the icing on the cake, dealer also said it is not a warranty item. Does that sound right?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi djousma,

This sounds like a job for your regional customer service manager; send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and the dealer's name.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Todd

Thanks Todd, PM sent.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Turbo boots are not warranty. Wasn't on my 08 when I had to replace one.

to the best of my knowledge the turbo boots don't need to come off for the EGR.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks Scott.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been fighting the p0471 code for months now,it also throws map sensor code. Dealer has replaced map sensor and one other sensor to no avail.
Finally they have decided to replace turbo hopefully this will work,getting really sick of going to the dealer on my days off !

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Thanks Todd, PM sent.
You're welcome, djousma!

Originally Posted by OutlawII
I have been fighting the p0471 code for months now,it also throws map sensor code. Dealer has replaced map sensor and one other sensor to no avail.
Finally they have decided to replace turbo hopefully this will work,getting really sick of going to the dealer on my days off !
Good day OutlawII,

I'm going to look into this further on my end; please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 09-22-2015, 12:26 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Just picked the truck up. Work order says cold side cac tube blew apart. So, I don't know if it was the boot, or the plastic tube. looking under the hood both appear to be new. $360 later appears to be fixed.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:57 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it's what I found doing a search Did the CAC boot and tube fix your problem or did you have more issues after?