Project Charlee the powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Project Charlee the powerstroke

Hello everyone!

I have spent the last few months reading thread after thread and putting together the list of mods and fixes I want and need to do with my truck. I have learned a whole lot so far and can't wait to make my truck into my dream vehicle. First step down that road... Round 1 of upgrades!!

So far, I have installed a 6637 intake. Thats it.

I have a set of Rosewood stage 1 injectors waiting for me at home (Tyler, Tx), which will be installed as soon as I finish the job I am working on right now (Athens, ME). I have also ordered/bought new glow plugs (ZD-11), fuel filter, oil filter, turbo boots, gauges (pyro, trans, boost, oil) and pod, and torquepro dongle thing.

I plan to get a TS-6 chip with custom tunes from someone, but that will be ordered when I get my PCM code. Exhaust is also on the to-do list... I have my eye on a 5" diamond eye... and corresponding sound proofing for the cab. Upgraded HPOP will also be on the list... once I get my mud truck project off the ground (pun intended).

Goals: Reliable DD that could tow a little on the side (2-3 times a year). A good fuel economy option on the chip is going to be a must. Oh, and it needs to be fun to drive.

I will install the injectors and glow plugs as soon as I get home, since I have to be at work the next morning. Is there anything else I will need to install the injectors? or any other "while I'm in there" items? (that is a slippery slope, I know.) I would like to order anything else I will need before I get home so I can get it all in and run into as few hiccups as possible.

Here goes nothing!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have a great lineup! nothing additional for the injectors. If you're shaky or nervous about it, swamps diesel and riffraff have great writeups about them. Intercooling and turbo upgrades may be good additions to your list. Just keep in mind the list never ends. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Thanks, Doug! I have spent a whole lot of time reading through some of the build threads on here and hope to have learned a little from their mistakes (Thanks guys!) I will definitely check the swamps and riffraff install instructions out. thanks for the suggestion!

I can't wait to get back to the truck so I can actually get something done on it... I have the itch to get my hands greasy lol

Old 09-13-2015, 10:04 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
If it were me, and it's not, I'd do the intercooler before Stage 1s. You are going to have a heck of a time with EGTs if you don't. Looking forward to seeing more of the project though!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:14 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
If you are hitting the mods hard I would put e fuel on the list. It gets rid of the leaky fuel bowl and give you piece of mind that your new expensive injectors won't run low on fuel. Looking forward to progress pics.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:26 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Without knowing too much history of your truck, I'd suggest replacing the valve cover gaskets and UVCH too while you're doing the injectors.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I forgot to mention the vc gaskets. I replaced the passenger side 2 months ago and have one for the drivers side that I'll install with the injectors.

The reason I'm doing injectors first is because the truck was making oil and she smoked like a freight train if she sat for two or three days (blue smoke). I will be installing the Pyro as soon as I get it from my buddy's house.. Shouldn't be more than two days without it.

As for e fuel, my bowl isn't actually leaking thank goodness (knock on wood).. I'll definitely get to it but that will probably come on round two with ic, up pipes, and maybe turbo... Funds allowing of course.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master

Only picture I have of the truck... I need to get some better ones.

I'm thinking oil from the ccv.. As suggested by someone on this site. There was a little on the intake side of the turbo too

Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master

Reason I had to jump ahead and do injectors first..

Old 09-14-2015, 09:13 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell

I'm thinking oil from the ccv.. As suggested by someone on this site. There was a little on the intake side of the turbo too
You might want to take a look at a new intake boot as well. Looks like yours is starting to come apart which is very common.

Riffraff Diesel 94-97 Turbo Intake Boot for Ford 7.3L

Old 09-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Sure why not lol

Old 09-14-2015, 12:12 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could just sell me the truck, lol!
I think you've got a good list going. I'd check the GPs and GPR if it were me, but maybe you're far enough south that you don't need them to work.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I have 8 new ZD 11 glow plugs going in when I put the injectors in. Gpr should be ok... But that's a easy repair to do later if needed.

As for selling, I guess everything has its price but I don't see myself getting rid of this rig... Ever... Lol

Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I'm almost home!!! That means I can finally start working on this thing.. I can not wait.

So here is the to-do list...

Stage 1 injectors (Rosewood)
8x ZD-11 Glow Plugs
New boot turbo intake and Y-boot (Riffraff)
GS Gauges (Trans temp, boost, pyro, fuel pressure)
Up Pipe doughnuts (Just to fix leak until I can pony up for bellowed pipes)
Horn (to pass inspection that is due lol)
New oil and filter/fuel filter
Visual inspection of UVCH and VC plugs
All clear headlights
Tailgate light bar
AND last but definitely not least.... Hydra chip with Swamps tunes

So yeah. oh and I have to be at work about 36 hours after I land... ha it's gonna be interesting

*cracks knuckles* Lets get this show on the road

Old 10-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Well..she runs! I got the new injectors installed, filters changed and glow plugs swapped, along with a new intake boot. It took about a good 3 heart wrenching minutes of cranking to start the truck (in 30 second spurts) and she runs like a dream! Drove about 3 hours, mostly highway, and not a hiccup the whole time.

As soon as I got home, my hydra was sitting there waiting for me so I just had to put her in... This is when it got interesting.

I threw some tunes on the chip and went outside to install. Turns out I've had a ts style chip in there this whole time! Whoever had this truck before me installed ats and then tucked the **** back behind the trim behind the e brake pedal... Also, the back half of that black plastic ecu cover is gone lol... Anyway, I plugged the hydra in and started her up in stock. I played with a couple of the idle tunes (whisper and high idle) and then the truck threw a cel and died... I sat there for a minute and cranked, started right up. Weird. Anyway, my buddy jumped in with me and we tried the 80 performance and 65 daily tunes. About half way through, the abs light came on. Also, my od off light flashed a couple times.

Is this normal? These are stock php generic tunes.. Will this happen when I get my gearhead and swaps tunes?? And most importantly, did I break something???

Quick Reply: Project Charlee the powerstroke