1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking for Rear View Camera Feedback and Experiences...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:47 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Looking for Rear View Camera Feedback and Experiences...

So I am actually getting a (small) allowance to upgrade my stock stereo that's not good for much any more besides the radio. I'm going to get a double-din touch screen so that I can hook up a backup camera that's been on my want-to-do list for years.

My budget does not allow getting an '08 tailgate with emblem camera so that's out. I would like to get something relatively discreet that isn't completely obnoxious. I'm not interested in bolting a big boxy camera to my tailgate but I'm open to any creative ideas out there. I'm also going to plug it into my head unit for the display.

If there was ever a creative bunch it's all of you guys on here. Are there any particular brands to look at/stay away from? Is there any good mounting idea besides the standard license plate frame camera? I'd like to see behind me (5 feet or so would be nice) as well as be able to back up under a hitch by myself (part of the reason my wife has ok'd the upgrade...she does not enjoy being my spotter for that). I'd like to get one that has the colored lines for distance but that's not a deal breaker if I can get something better without it.

Any good/bad ideas or experiences that would help me make the best educated decision would be appreciated.

I plan on purchasing a head unit from Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, or Sony. I haven't narrowed it down from there but those are the brands that have models that I think are the best esthetic fit for the dash and my tastes. All I know so far is that it will need to be about 6" and require some dash trimming.

Any comments or recommendations regarding anything with those 5 brands or their model's performance or installation is welcome also.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
If you are not dead set on the brand of stereo you mentioned, check out the VX7020 by Jensen.

Robot Check Robot Check

I installed this stereo a couple months ago and could not be happier with it. The GPS is key for me and the other features are nice too. I installed the following backup camera as well as the DVD bypass and everything is performing great.

Amazon.com : HDE E336 Waterproof Rear Vehicle Backup Camera With 170 degree Viewing Angle : Back Up Car Camera : Car Electronics Amazon.com : HDE E336 Waterproof Rear Vehicle Backup Camera With 170 degree Viewing Angle : Back Up Car Camera : Car Electronics

Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Thanks for the inputs.

Sous, where/how did you mount your camera?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used this one...
Robot Check
Mounted it here

And the screen shot

For the price this camera can't be beat. Although it was installed on Xmas eve. So longevity is a??? Would not recomend the head unit I installed, it's name says it all!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:14 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
milehi 350, that is one clean install! Did you do any measuring/guesstimation or just drill into the bumper and hope for the best?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my better half hold it where I thought would be best as I watched through the screen.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I was asked via private message to post some further information on how I installed the VX7020, so here it is.

I had to cut about 1/2" from the bezel of the dash piece, I believe it was only the top and bottom as you are looking at the dash. The additional parts I ordered are below which made the final product look great.

Wiring harness adapter
Robot Check Robot Check

DVD bypass
Robot Check Robot Check

Mounting kit
Robot Check Robot Check

Of course the VX7020 stereo and the camera were there too. I also ran some split wire loom all the way from the rear bumper up to the cab where the video/power cable entered. I did not splice into the reverse light for camera power for two reasons. The first was because I wanted it to work while my truck was in neutral because I have a stick shift. The second was because I didn't want to splice into the factory wiring harness at the tail light. So, I simply used the ignition on power source, I think it was the yellow wire, maybe red from the back of the stereo and now my camera works all the time. Although, I have to manually select "camera" input on the stereo to see it on the screen which does not bother me at all.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I am clueless as to how these things work. I mean, I know how digital cameras work, but I don't know where all the electronic parts are located in backup systems.

So here's my question. I recently rented a '14 Econoline van with the backup camera display in the rear view mirror. It was incredibly useful as I was able to quickly shift my view from the mirrors to the display. Looking down at the dash is idiotic in my mind. To me that's an either / or option, and at least in most cars I think it's actually dangerous.

Anyway, does that mirror accept a video input, or did Ford bury a video processor somewhere in the dash?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
This thread ran several months ago and has some good info/recommendations.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html

Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
here is the plate frame camera:

and the reverse screen. this id a pic from 6 foot away:

Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Not much to the electronics - the camera sends the video signal, the receiving unit puts the video signal on the display. The camera just needs to be waterproof - including the connector. Not all units focus on this. As mentioned above, avoid Pyle products. I like the Boyo I bought:

Old 02-13-2015, 04:14 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In case anyone is looking for a stand alone system that doesn't tie into a double din head unit, I got one of the $69 Peak wireless cameras from Menards for Christmas. It works great for what I really wanted it for...to see my damn hitch and quit having to get in and out of the truck ;-) Install was a breeze. It mounts to the license plate like the one pictured above, and you get the 12v + from either sides reverse light. I mounted the small wifi transmitter at the top of the tailgate jamb with the antenna pointed up. The monitor is wireless with only a 12v adaptor, which I promptly cut and tied into my 12v wires in my triple guage pod...mounted the monitor at the top corner of the windshield.

It is wireless so it is susceptible to TV interference depending on where you are. I see some interference from time to time but nothing that makes me want to wire one in full time, plus I still rock a singe DIN unit.

Just throwing that out there as a cheap & easy stand-alone option. Sorry no pics at the moment. The camera looks just like above, the monitor looks like a GPS unit.