Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo install and questions

Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Crazyotto1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Aftermarket stereo install and questions

Hello all,

I am looking into replacing the single din aftermarket radio with a 2dinaftermarket stereo. I have read a couple of posts about it but nothing thatreally helps me make a choice. I see some have a 7" screen and other thathave the 6.8" or a little smaller screen with a place to put a DVD or Cdin the top. Most of the 7" has a screen that slides down to get access tothe cd/dvd slot but does it have enough room to clear the other parts of thedash?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

2. I have been looking at Amazon, ebay and crutchfield about differentstyles of radios and whatnot but, it seems like everyone has some badexperiences with a lot of the radios that look pretty good. Are there anyrecommendations about what stereo's work and look good in our trucks?<o></o>

3. These are the things I think I would want in a nice 2din stereo.<o></o>

GPS<o></o>

Bluetooth for phone and radio that displays the contact list<o></o>

Reverse camera connection<o></o>

USB and aux port<o></o>

High def radio with RDS<o></o>

Can anyone recommend one?<o></o>

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and helping me decide.When I was younger it seemed so easy to get a decent radio but as times aregetting more techy, the bad comment seem to be everywhere and I'm not surewhere and what to spend my hard earned money on.<o></o>

Thanks, Crazyotto1<o></o>

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
This is a tough one right now - we are on the cusp of a whole new era in dash electronics. We think of stereos as music in the car, then tech hit and we think of hands-free adapter for the phone and a GPS. The next generation will be introduced very soon (maybe in time for Christmas, maybe not) - the App radio. They are already out there, but those versions are more for those that have to have the latest thing. There will be a wave of Android OS double-din aftermarket radios - with much more power than the current selection. They will likely run an automotive version of the OS, that accepts inputs from the car and its own sensors to augment the safe use of a touch screen in a moving vehicle.

With these new units:
  • You'll have the option of running Torque Pro or the like, if you install the OBDII adapter. You can monitor and log the sensors in your vehicle, give you the trouble codes, and I believe Torque will eventually command tests - like buzz and CCT (I think it can now, but I haven't tried to send a command from Torque).
  • Your head unit can BE the phone, or it can link with any device that allows itself to be linked to a candy-named OS.
  • CDs are dinosaurs. If you can find a unit without that jurassic hardware (avoid cassette and 8-track too), you would have more room in the unit for something useful. USB is popular in a car, but SD is smaller, locks in, and leaves nothing protruding from the dash. My head unit has a USB port that I've never even tested to see if it works in the 3 years I've had it, and the CD/DVD player has never had anything shoved in its mouth. The SD card in the head unit stores 8 gig - the equivalent of 11 CDs, but with no moving parts. MP3-up and I can fit over 1000 songs on there at a good quality sampling rate. I can fit a few episodes of Mythbusters on there, if I were so inclined.
  • Backup cam - those are staples now. How about a 2-channel DVR that has the backup cam and the dash cam? How about the back-of-the-trailer cam? Think big with an App radio.
  • GPS - snore, it's a given. Take it a step further: Google Earth Street View showing on your screen, from two blocks (city) to 1/2 mile (highway) ahead of your current position - so you know what to look for when you get there.
  • Weather/traffic/emergency alerts on your route - that pop over the radio, GPS, or whatever you're doing - or even turn the unit on to deliver the emergency alert. An emergency alert may be for a storm. Imagine a satellite animation popping up on your dash - showing a hail storm or tornado in your area.
  • How about a locator? There are products like RFID out there that signal when you are near it. If you tag something like your son's bicycle - your dash device can search for it (within 50-100 yards or so) as you just drive along and focus on the road.

That is the tiniest of list of things flying at our faces from the dashes of the very near future. If you want something now, you might want to go cheap - because you're gunna wanna replace it soon. If you have no desire to have a roam entertainment center in your dash, then might I suggest something Pioneer - they locked down the double-din touch screens pretty early in the game, and their sound quality has been superior.

Don't get your hopes up on a hands-free microphone. These trucks have something about the harmonics that just kill the effectiveness of most microphone systems.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 AM
ScaldedDog
Elder User
ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
Love my Kenwood, with Garmin nav. Making a 2 din unit fit is easy, so don't sweat that part.

Mark

Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I love my pioneer unit. I personally didn't go with Nav this time because of expense and I have a separate unit for it. But the blue tooth is a must. Very nice to go hands free on the phone. Especially when snow plowing or other stuff like that.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
I put this guy in my truck last year! Android unit has the whole nine yds with a good gps. Price was decent .

Smokie

Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 AM
schlepprock250
Guns Dont Kill People..
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Crazyotto1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the replies.
Tugly, you gave me a lot to think about and I will go with your advice of getting a cheaper one as I agree that it sounds like a lot of innovation is right around the corner. I like the look of the one in Smokies truck and it seems to have most of the features I'm looking for at the moment. Then I saw Schlepprock's system. Nice! It has everything I am looking for and more except the price. LOL I know to get all of these things in one unit is gonna be costly but I'm not sure that I want to drop that kind of coin on the truck that I only drive maybe 2 times a month.
We are also looking at a toy hauler which might make the cost worth it as we will then be traveling more with the vehicle in the future. I will have to bring thes 2 unit's to the table for the discussion with the wife as I would be in the dog house if I dropped that kind of change without her permission. LOL

Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i have been trying to figure out what to go with also. i don't need all the fancy high tech stuff, just an easy to use FM stereo, CD player, back up camera, and bluetooth system.
the big problem is there are so many out there i get lost trying to figure out what is good, what is crap, and what is going to give me a headache.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i have been trying to figure out what to go with also....
Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc... have good reputations (and prices reflect this). Avoid names with no or little recognition - or review stars next to the product online. I'm partial to Pioneer because of value (quality for the price), but there are some very good products out there not cloned in China.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
I'm running the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH Double-DIN from back in 2012, and love it. Has everything you are looking for, and was a pretty easy install. I'm sure it has been superceded by something newer, but that level of receiver is quite nice. I even have it hooked up to the factory backup cam in my 2013 bed. I use BlueTooth and HD almost daily. Don't use any nav though -- I use my phone for that.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
well i just looked on amazon, and entered CD, bluetooth, and back up camera in the search options.
this is the one i think may do the job,
Amazon.com : Kenwood Double-DIN In-Dash 6.1" LCD Touchscreen AM/FM/DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth Wireless Capabilities, USB Port, Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad Control, Pandora Radio Link with iPhone and Android, and SiriusXM Radio Ready : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood Double-DIN In-Dash 6.1" LCD Touchscreen AM/FM/DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth Wireless Capabilities, USB Port, Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad Control, Pandora Radio Link with iPhone and Android, and SiriusXM Radio Ready : Car Electronics
but it does not have back up camera listed.
every single radio came up with this: Bluetooth, iPod Support & Pandora Link

but no mention of back up camera, even though 5 were listed as having it in the options list. i really wish they would just make a product for us old dinosaurs that do not want everything plus the kitchen sink in their trucks.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
just stay away from the brand xo vision one caught fire in my dash.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I agree with everything except the hands free mic. Mine works great. Only one that ever complains is my mom.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 PM
ScaldedDog
Elder User
ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
well i just looked on amazon, and entered CD, bluetooth, and back up camera in the search options.
this is the one i think may do the job,
Amazon.com : Kenwood Double-DIN In-Dash 6.1" LCD Touchscreen AM/FM/DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth Wireless Capabilities, USB Port, Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad Control, Pandora Radio Link with iPhone and Android, and SiriusXM Radio Ready : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood Double-DIN In-Dash 6.1" LCD Touchscreen AM/FM/DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth Wireless Capabilities, USB Port, Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad Control, Pandora Radio Link with iPhone and Android, and SiriusXM Radio Ready : Car Electronics

but no mention of back up camera, even though 5 were listed as having it in the options list. i really wish they would just make a product for us old dinosaurs that do not want everything plus the kitchen sink in their trucks.
If that's a DDX371, then it does have a camera input. None of these come with cameras, as they are a separate cost item. I have the 200 series Kenwood camera, and it's fine.

Review specs ON Kenwoods site to confirm.

Mark

Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
this is the one i think may do the job, Amazon.com : Kenwood Double-DIN In-Dash 6.1" LCD Touchscreen AM/FM/DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth Wireless Capabilities, USB Port, Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad Control, Pandora Radio Link with iPhone and Android, and SiriusXM Radio Ready : Car Electronics

The picture indicates it is a Kenwood DDX371, which has an input for the backup camera. Although, some of those cameras are well over $100. I might suggest getting something like the one below that would serve the same purpose for a fraction of the cost.

Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo install and questions

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.