1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I chose to use the original O-Ring gasket on mine which showed no signs of deterioration even after 100K+ miles ...I still have the Napa gasket hanging around somewhere as a potential spare, but I'm pretty sure I'll never need it.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Hip2u
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for everyones info.

O'reilly's sells IAC's for $35.00

Borg Warner Part #28944
Comes with a new gasket. All metal.

That's the one I got for my 97 4.0 stx 4x4

Old 01-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Lil red_ranger
Freshman User
I'm having the same problem after cleaning it with berryman's B12 ,before i cleaned it the mileage wasn't as bad but it really went downhill this week,maybe i'll get a new one and try it.I just read above that you need to take the negative cable off and i was wondering if i took mine off and cleaned it would i still need to take the battery cable off ?
TIA
I'm a newbie and just purchased a 1994 xlt custom 4.0 automatic.

Last edited by Lil red_ranger; 01-27-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
bluedemonss
New User
hello all. im a newbie here. ill say thanks in advance for all the usefull info provided here to work on my truck

97 explorer 4.0 sohv motor.

got a question though. just got a new idle air control valve about 5 mins ago. went to the company that made its website to match up part # out of curiousity cause it looked different than my stock one. on mine there is a black **** that turns. not sure what it is,looks like an adjustment ****. but the new one just has a steel cap on top.

according to their site (they show pictures of the parts)http://www.smpcorp.com/download/web_...alog_frame.asp
the one shown for the 6 cyl has **** and the 8 cyl has a metal cap. the box says the 6 cyl part # but the IACV looks like 8 cyl model.

so my question is before i put it on, whats the **** for and whats the difference between the 6 and 8 models.? will it mess anything up? the guy at the auto parts store said it would work. figured id check with the experts here first.

thanks in advance

Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally posted by bluedemonss
hello all. im a newbie here. ill say thanks in advance for all the usefull info provided here to work on my truck

97 explorer 4.0 sohv motor.

got a question though. just got a new idle air control valve about 5 mins ago. went to the company that made its website to match up part # out of curiousity cause it looked different than my stock one. on mine there is a black **** that turns. not sure what it is,looks like an adjustment ****. but the new one just has a steel cap on top.

according to their site (they show pictures of the parts)http://www.smpcorp.com/download/web_...alog_frame.asp
the one shown for the 6 cyl has **** and the 8 cyl has a metal cap. the box says the 6 cyl part # but the IACV looks like 8 cyl model.

so my question is before i put it on, whats the **** for and whats the difference between the 6 and 8 models.? will it mess anything up? the guy at the auto parts store said it would work. figured id check with the experts here first.

thanks in advance
Welcome to FTE!

Here is a good thread on Explorer IACs that might help you out:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=166103

Old 01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
bluedemonss
New User
thanks for the reply. sorry wrong forum didnt realize it was ranger one.

anyhow i went to match it up and the connector faced straight up which the plastic peice cant mount back on throttle body .

wrong part!!! i hate that!!

ok see ya around and sorry for wrong place.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally posted by bluedemonss
thanks for the reply. sorry wrong forum didnt realize it was ranger one.

anyhow i went to match it up and the connector faced straight up which the plastic peice cant mount back on throttle body .

wrong part!!! i hate that!!

ok see ya around and sorry for wrong place.
Drop by any time ...your '97 Explorer and the '97 Ranger actually have a lot in common.

Too bad about the part being the wrong one...

Old 03-22-2004, 06:25 PM
BrandNizzle2K4
New User
I am a newbie to FTE and I had a couple questions. I know this is a post for Ford Rangers but i have a 98' Ford Explorer. I have been experiencing the same howling noise as many others on this post. I popped the hood to see just where the noise is coming from and it is coming directly from the air filter. It made this noise last summer for a short while and then quit. I just recently (January) bought a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit Gen2 and the noise still started back up. The temp has been around 80 degrees in Cali, so it is warm when this noise occurs. The noise happens just around 12:00-2:00 (off and on). I was wondering if I too would have to replace the IAC to solve this problem.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Yup, sounds like it. I assume you have the OHV version of the 4.0? The IAC is located on the opposite side of the engine from the air filter. It's mounted to the intake. Just pop that off and replace it. There are two bolts holding it on. Noise will be gone.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:39 PM
BrandNizzle2K4
New User
Yea. Its an OHV. I pulled the IAC yesterday to see about possibly cleaning it as others said but it wasnt that dirty at all. I figured it could still be the cause of the problem, but I thought id ask before paying 70 bucks for a part that i may not need, but seeing as many other have had this problem, the IAC is probably what I need to replace.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Yeah I got mine for $55 from NAPA auto parts. You can find them even cheaper than that if you look around. When I took mine off, I honestly didn't see how it would be possible to clean it and actually do a good job. Most of the carbon buildup is back inside the valve where you can't get to it. Best thing to do is buy a new one in my opinion. But if you don't think that's your problem, try something else. Maybe find a buddy with a 4.0L and ask him if you can pop his IAC on your engine for 5 minutes to see if the noise goes away. Then you'll know if that's the culprit or not.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:19 PM
BrandNizzle2K4
New User
The IAC is 70 at NAPA for my truck. I think the word of all the people on this post is enough to believe that my problem is with the IAC and that replacing it will solve the problem. Thanks for the help WXboy.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
mxtime
New User
Question what is the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) **** for??

What is the black **** for Mine dosn't seem to do anything at all. Is it for looks??

Originally Posted by Rockledge
You do have an Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) and it looks like this:

I got the one in the picture from NAPA for $55 about 6 months ago.

It's also referred to sometimes as the "Idle Air Bypass" and also the "Idle Air Control Solenoid"

Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mxtime
What is the black **** for Mine dosn't seem to do anything at all. Is it for looks??
Welcome to FTE!

It's just a vent to help equalize the pressure inside the valve "cylinder".

Contrary to what some people may think, it is not a filter for the air that is allowed to bypass the closed throttle plate.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:52 AM
mxtime
New User
Idle Air Control Valve

Originally Posted by alancp
it sure can make loud noise thru the air filter box, unplug it while motor is running and it will quiet down if it is the IAC
It sure does quiet down... it kills the motor... is that normal?

Quick Reply: Idle Air Control Valve