1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 891 Likes on 807 Posts
I know we do seem to get smarter and wiser as we mature......

Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carnut122
I'm tempted to get 4WD, but then again, I only have about 15 more months before I retire. My father-in-law just now dropped off my wife. She's happy to be home for the first time since Tuesday morning.
How happy is she!!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Cat906
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...this is a Serious Blower."

I bet if he had held off on selling this beauty, he could've doubled what he was asking!

This is an 8' Snowblower converted from a 3pt tractor PTO to a self contained 302, V8 Driven Blower.

The 302 is a 1995 Carbureted Roller Motor, with a governor to maintain the RPM you set.

The Blower Motor has its' own tach, oil and temp gage mounted on the back of the engine, in plain sight thru windshield.

The Blower Motor is controlled completely from the cab of the truck (Start/Stop/RPM)

The Blower Motor shares the truck battery however the fuel supply and cooling systems are independent.

The Hydraulics are 12V self contained pump/motor (under hood of truck) with Quick Disconnects to the (2) Cylinders.

The Blower is mounted to a '77 F-350 4x4, the truck is not for sale.

The brains/controls for the blower are hooked up with a 4-flat trailer hitch plug.

I built the complete blower a little conservatively with the small block 302, I must say even at 1800rpm (engine speed) this blower absolutely launches snow, even better than anticipated.

I don't think the application would be ideal in a city setting with houses and windows close by, however for the hunting land, when you are out of room to push snow with the plow, it's the ticket.

There's a lot of the logistics that could certainly be done differently to suit your needs including 12V power, fuel or hydraulics. The blower could probably be lifted with a regular plow pump as it only needs about 400psi to lift.

I would potentially include the Blower and Truck Side Wiring Harnesses (and solenoid), Control Panel (on counsel in my truck) the 12V Hydraulic Pump, Reservoir, the cylinders and sq tube with the UHMW poly slides. I plan to keep the Truck and the Bumper.

I'm asking $4900 for the package but I'm willing to work with you if you don't need everything.

Please put some thought into this before calling as this is a Serious Blower.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
How happy is she!!
Please, no pics

Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=GLR;. Of course that was back when we had snow. (and had to walk 5 miles to school, up-hill both ways).[/QUOTE]
And you only had cardboard tied to your feet for shoes. Kids don't know how easy they have it today

Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Izzie1701
Freshman User
Originally Posted by oldmerc
Honest guys I'm trying to feel sympathetic but truth be told I'm just too busy giggling .

Oldmerc,

I was also giggling along with this. Hate to see how they would react to a 24" Edmonton snow storm and -40 weather we are having today and tomorrow. Last week when it was in the 30's it felt like summer. Flip flops on the deck and could still feel my toes. I dream of the 20s-30s during winter and only 3" of snow would be awsome...not to mention not having to drill through 3' of ice to go fishing in the winter.

Anyways noticed you were a fellow Edmontonian and wondered if you were getting any of your parts weather there engine, suspension or just truck parts locally. I was thinking of ordering most of my engine parts through Summit Racing but if you have someone localy would you be able to PM me back.

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Buffalo, January 1977

Attached Images     
Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
ok, I was gonna leave this alone but can't... Middle Alabama here... went to work at 5 am Tuesday morning... Had to stay at work Tuesday nite... got out at 1 pm Wednesday....was no way to leave, the roads were either totally blocked or iced over... hollows are not driver friendly when iced up.

started snowing at about 9 am... we got about an inch... most of that either sorta melted or the traffic melted it... then another inch or so and the temp started dropping... so it froze... it really doesn't matter if you get 1/2" of ICE or 12" of ice...you can't drive on it... I challange any of you Northern snow lovers to come down here in our hills and hollows and handle it... you can't even walk on it much less drive.

we get this about every 5 years or so... so the cities can't afford to have a fleet of sand or salt trucks sitting around waiting... and someone mentioned above salt and chemicals dont work when its' this cold... Wednesday morning it bottomed out at 9° where I was this morning it was 3°... so the ice stayed... it never got above the mid 20's...what was slushed up by the 4 wheel drive guys just refroze thicker... another point about the frequency... if it snows/ ices here after 5 years... you've got a whole group of drivers with 4 years experience on the road and NO snow or ice driving...that turns into a Chinese fire drill... and all of them are driving front wheel drive cars.

Yall all love the snow... but you CAN drive ON SNOW.. it's not like ice. we usually get rain followed by sleet which gradually changes over to an inch or two of snow... you get 8 to a gazillion inches of snow and you can drive on it with reasonable caution.

one other point... someone mentioned the meteorologist missing it... ALL of them missed it... from Texas to Georgia... a few degrees in accuracy could be a 100 mile miss... We were supposed to get a dusting and ended up with 2-4 inches... I don't fault them guys... they can track a tornado with a few blocks... I like that accuracy better.

ok, I'm off my soap box... just trying to point out to your snow lovers, it's a totally different animal we're riding down here... come on down and show us how to do it...

yea, we struggle with snow... it's difficult for us... bout as difficult as a northern school winning a BCS championship...

(insert sound of box sliding back under the desk)

and this is what you see in Alabama when we have a "winter weather event"

Alabama Chik-fil-A owner delivers free food to cold, stranded motorists - BizPac Review

later
john

Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by jniolon

yea, we struggle with snow... it's difficult for us... bout as difficult as a northern school winning a BCS championship...

(insert sound of box sliding back under the desk)

later
john
Awesome snow and football comment!! I love it. So thankful it's gone today.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
allright..... last post.... Our associate pastor at Church of the Highlands in Birmingham wrote this article for the al.com. He was a tow truck driver in Colorado... interesting comments and he perfectly explains what I was rambling on about... it's worth a read snow peopel !!!

Colorado tow truck driver turned Alabama minister says snowed-in South has nothing to be ashamed of (Clergy Column) | AL.com

goodnite
john

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon

so the cities can't afford to have a fleet of sand or salt trucks sitting around waiting... and someone mentioned above salt and chemicals dont work when its' this cold...
john
John, I posted that because the 'Road Supervisor' here posted that on their facebook page last year. The TRUTH is that he was dead wrong. The salt will work well below 20° and here they add ground glass of the traction. They use the glass instead of sand or cinder because they grind up the glass at the recycling center, so it's free. With that combination it would surely provide much needed traction, but the problem here is that the guy in charge had no knowledge of the job he was elected to do.

I do understand that the cities and other communities don't have the money to have snow plows and salt trucks sitting parked to be used on a few days a year. But there are other alternatives. The city of Niagara Falls only had a few snow plows, but they had a fleet of garbage trucks, they installed snow plows on all the garbage trucks. One of the small rural towns did not have the funds to install salt bodies, but they did tar and chip many of the back roads, the boss figured out that they could use the chip spreaders for the salt... and it worked.

We snow folks...and I don't love the snow, that's one of the reasons I moved to Tennessee... all know what it is like with the ice, in WNY ice storms occur at least a few times a year, so we do know the difference between the ice and the snow.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GLR
Please, no pics
You'll just have to use your imaginations!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
I see in the news that the "blame game" has started in Georgia.
I still think it's Al Gore's fault.
Sometimes you just can't believe the weather guessers. If been outside when the weather people said there was a tornado right over our area - nothing. There's been times schools have closed here in VA because snow was predicted. Brine trucks were out, 50* and sunny. One year my wife was working for the county school system, they had to make up 19 due to the weather. Of which 5 might have been legit.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carnut122
You'll just have to use your imaginations!

That s a dangerous place!! ( my imagination)

Quick Reply: snow