Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Big time cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Kamstutz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric problems can cause many headaches. It is always way too easy to forget the power return (ground) that is always needed. You could always hold a temporary jumper from the HPOP cover to the battery ground and see how it goes.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is a video taking the HPOP plug off after the truck had been sitting without having cranked it for 15 or so minutes.

I am going to edit this post an add 2 more videos...

Here is removing that plug immediately after cranking

This one is taking a while to process but when it does it is just another of it cranking.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HKusp
Alright so far, AE hooked up KOEO (of course because the engine won't run)

Hybrid electronic cluster
B2658 wait to start warning indicator circuit open
B1318 battery voltage low
B1360 ignition run/acc circuit open
B1352 ignition key-in circuit failure

Now are these all current or are they stored and should I clear and test again?

Dad just showed up with the multimeter. We are going to attempt to ohm out the glow plugs in the meantime.
Ok, i am getting ready to log some data and send it to Rich. I told AE to retrieve current codes and it says only P0603 internal control module keep alive memory (KAM) error, which it always has said if I recall correctly. Now I am going to record data and send it off, but I wanted to clear the other codes I reported as to whether they were current or not.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Plug on the IPR? Or the nut? We'll see what Rich can figure out when he gets the data. I guess it's possible for the oil in the heads to backfeed through the IPR into the HPOP reservoir just after shutting it off.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Ohm test

Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Ohmed out the injectors and they were fine. Pulled the fuel filter. It looked decent. Tried starting without fuel filter still no joy. Put filter back in, the fuel bowl was pressurized and it sprayed all over the top, so I don't think we have fuel delivery issues. Injector buzz test, they all buzzed, a couple sounded a little different especially number 8, but not too much. I spoke with a Baltimore County Schools bus mechanic and he listened to it crank. He said it sounded like the injectors weren't firing properly. He said it sounded like they may be leaking pressure.

Also I want to go back to the basics a bit so I am gonna check fuses.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
  • AE says it should run... but it's not.
  • KOEO OK
  • That oil out the top of the reservoir has me in a panic and I called Chris. We agree this is bad juju. Investigation of drain tube recommended
We need three things: A turning engine, fuel (at the right time), and compression. We know the truck's turnin' and we're getting some smoke... I'm worried that all that's left is compression or an overlooked GP issue (timing not ruled out yet). They could be one and the same: If the mechanic didn't tighten down the GPs, I'd expect to see what we're seeing. CPS is just under 30 bucks, it never hurts to throw a black one in there to earn the tee-shirt.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Checked fuses and switched injector relay around with another just to be sure. It all looks good, still no fire

Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
  • KOEO OK
  • That oil out the top of the reservoir has me in a panic and I called Chris. We agree this is bad juju. Investigation of drain tube recommended
We need three things: A turning engine, fuel (at the right time), and compression. We know the truck's turnin' and we're getting some smoke... I'm worried that all that's left is compression or an overlooked GP issue (timing not ruled out yet). They could be one and the same: If the mechanic didn't tighten down the GPs, I'd expect to see what we're seeing. CPS is just under 30 bucks, it never hurts to throw a black one in there to earn the tee-shirt.
Way back when, I used to change the HPOP oil, and you couldn't put enough oil in it to run out the top. The first time I did that, I went to fill it up, and it never got full. Stopped about an inch from the top. I hadn't put the drain plug back in yet, guess where the oil went? Is that drain tube that small that it could plug up?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure I Can add any insight.

I would have suggested everything mentioned.

i would have thought to check all connectors IPR, IPC etc.

anything in the valley like new oil or fuel? the hoses leaking from the HPOP oil lines?

and this is a just a guess, but what about injector O-rings and or Cups. could they prevent the tease to start, but no quite? i have never done them.

I can load some pics, but my pics are dirty lol. oil and dirt stuff.

I am trying to remember back when I had my truck. I had one bad injector and it still idled fine and started even.

I think it would still start with out the GP at 30-45 deg. so even if the GP's are not heating up (just saying) it should still start I would think.

I will ponder and get back if I have anything.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
It is a curious thing. Sometimes when cranking it will put out smoke and sometimes it won't smoke much if any. That makes me think its a fuel issue. Until I pulled the fuel filter the valley was bone dry. Unless anyone has a revelation, the next step is going to be the top off the HPOP and see whats going on there. This thing is starting to scare me like its going to be something extremely big and expensive.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM
howellt39
Senior User
  • KOEO OK
Starting to like the avenue of loose GPs or injector hold down bolts since mech work was done down there very recently. Loose equipment there would certainly affect compression.

As for the CPS, he is getting fuel delivery as evidenced by the smoke. My cursory knowledge of the CPS is it either works or it doesn't so if it wasn't signaling the PCM, the PCM wouldn't open the injectors and deliver fuel. I may be off on that, though. When Rich suggests something he usually has a very good reason for it.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by howellt39
When Rich suggests something he usually has a very good reason for it.
I'm not that good, or this would likely be fixed by now. I was remembering when I swapped my CPS as a preventative measure: I had the old gray one and I went to one of Clay's black ones. I noticed the CCT looked much better. While the truck is giving RPMs, the CPS can effect timing a bit. I was just thinking nobody should be without a spare, and it's inexpensive... so it can't hurt to put a modern one in there and put his existing one in the glovebox. Of course, I would not really expect this to fix the problem... but Stinky has surprised me here and there.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 AM
howellt39
Senior User
I'm not that good, or this would likely be fixed by now. I was remembering when I swapped my CPS as a preventative measure: I had the old gray one and I went to one of Clay's black ones. I noticed the CCT looked much better. While the truck is giving RPMs, the CPS can effect timing a bit. I was just thinking nobody should be without a spare, and it's inexpensive... so it can't hurt to put a modern one in there and put his existing one in the glovebox. Of course, I would not really expect this to fix the problem... but Stinky has surprised me here and there.
I see, well I did say "usually"

Back on topic, running a gray right now with a black one in the glove box.

What is CCT? Don't know that one.

Last edited by howellt39; 03-25-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: messin with Rich
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Well, to make matters worse, I wke up this am to find 2 inches + of snow on the ground with at least 4 more forcasted. I have a business on the side plowing snow with a friend of mine who has a lawn and landscape company. We have not had any appreciable snow in the Baltimore area since February 21, 2011. that is over 2 years with no real money except for a few saltings. So not only am I sitting with my truck down with a big question mark as to how much money is it going to cost and when is it going to get done, but it is actually costing me money sitting on my front lawn while we figure all this out.

Quick Reply: Big time cold start issues