Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Steel fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
michbol
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel fuel lines

Anyone have any suggestions on where to order the steel fuel lines for the 7.3?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i ran Goodyear SAE 30R7 (not for use with biodiesel) hose when i redid mine,due to living in harsh conditions where metal lines rust.brake lines i have to keep an eye on still,but one less hassle/worry is always nice.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm running stainless on mine. No more rust.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 PM
DragOne
Freshman User
I have replaced a couple of hard lines that broke at the IP. (From a donor engine) I would like to get away from this. Any part numbers or where to obtain these other lines and fittings?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
i saw somebody on ebay had a set of injector lines for our engines, or a number of members here, including myself, have a spare set or two laying in the back shed.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 520 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DragOne
I have replaced a couple of hard lines that broke at the IP. (From a donor engine) I would like to get away from this. Any part numbers or where to obtain these other lines and fittings?
Be sure to put the anti vibration clamps back on, or the injection lines will continue to break. There should be two on each bank of lines IIRR.

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM
DragOne
Freshman User
Originally Posted by farmert
Be sure to put the anti vibration clamps back on, or the injection lines will continue to break. There should be two on each bank of lines IIRR.

Good call. I had just gotten the rig and did a couple long pulls with it. I had to order isolator clamps for the bank that had broken. No more issues just yet anyways.

I would like to make my own lines if at all possible since they seem to be made out of gold. LOL

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
michbol
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
I'm running stainless on mine. No more rust.
Where do you get stainless lines? Can you replace the hard steel injector lines with braided? So long as the lengths are correct?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the reference to stainless and rubber lines is assuming you are talking about replacing the steel line that runs from the fuel tank along the frame rail. That's what I thought you were asking about at first.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but since were into fuel lines here, anyone know if Ford, or anyone still sells the factpry style Nylon fuel lines that run in the frame?

I know Ford did that for a few years in the 90's. My 1990 F250 had those factory nylon fuel lines, but when I cut what was left of a bed bolts, I wasn't careful I split open one of them.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
you can get those nylon fuel lines,that run from tank to frame lines at autozone.might have to ask for them,but they have 'em.
i think im understanding what your asking for correctly.

http://www.thedieselstore.com
sells each injector line separately and clamps too.don't try and make them.they need to be exact.
it's cheap maintaining a hd idi diesel truck compared to a psd truck,but it's still not like a small car guys lol.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by michbol
Where do you get stainless lines? Can you replace the hard steel injector lines with braided? So long as the lengths are correct?
I'm buying a couple rolls of stainless steel fuel line from Summit Racing ( around $50 ea. ) . But I'm not running the stock tanks or fuel tank selector valve. I've got a single 50 gallon Peterbilt saddle step tank. So I'm pretty much starting from scratch on the fuel lines.

Originally Posted by bashby
I think the reference to stainless and rubber lines is assuming you are talking about replacing the steel line that runs from the fuel tank along the frame rail. That's what I thought you were asking about at first.
Yep that's what I thought. I didn't even think about the injector hard lines.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM
chris12345
New User
This is the closest thread to my problem so here we go.
I have a 1990 F350 7.3. I have been having a problem with it acting like she has run out of fuel while driving and then she just kicks back up and continues to go. But sometimes she would just die. From all of the forums and guides i have read this is because there is air in the fuel system. I did find out that my IP whent out so i replaced that and my injectors looked as if they had never been changed so i swapped those out too. Last night i had her started after about 40 tries. She ran good but as soon as i let off the pedal she idled for about 30 seconds and died. Since then she won't start at all. Any help?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chris12345
This is the closest thread to my problem so here we go.
I have a 1990 F350 7.3. I have been having a problem with it acting like she has run out of fuel while driving and then she just kicks back up and continues to go. But sometimes she would just die. From all of the forums and guides i have read this is because there is air in the fuel system. I did find out that my IP whent out so i replaced that and my injectors looked as if they had never been changed so i swapped those out too. Last night i had her started after about 40 tries. She ran good but as soon as i let off the pedal she idled for about 30 seconds and died. Since then she won't start at all. Any help?
you shouldn't try and start the engine for that many attempts.if she's not starting the first time,you should really just call it quits and start tracing out the issue because they only get worse.you probably over heated the starter and it's never going to spin with the power it should.
anyway, after the starting system if all good (batteries, cables, starter, terminals etc.) then it's time to insure the glow plugs are working properly.power to all 8 and that they are all heating for roughly 10-15 secs and then it's time to insure there is fuel getting to the ip.when working on the fuel system it's real basic as well.just make sure the fuel filter is always full.if it's not,then you have a leak.tracing out a leak is just a process of elimination.
for a truck that doesn't seem to be pumping fuel like yours,you just want to see firstly that the fuel pump is working.unhook it's feed line (the line entering the pump from the tanks) and stick a short hose from here into a jug of diesel.crank and see if the diesel jug fuel level goes down.if it does,the truck should fire up (provided you first checked the starting and glow plug systems as mentioned above) and the engine should run run smooth and flawlessly off the jug of diesel.if it doesn't,then more than likely the fuel pump needs to be replaced.if she does run on the jug,then you need to keep going back to the lines,the fuel selector valve and the fuel pickups in the tanks.inspecting and diagnosing until you find the issue.
since these are such old trucks i went ahead and didn't wait until fuel line failure.i just replaced them upon purchase rather than beside the road a while latter.
with an engine having the most common issue of fuel leak back,it really only makes since to bypass the old school mechanical lift pump and just instal a decent quality electric pump.this way the starters job will never be used for priming the fuel system ever again.assigning it's duty purely for spinning the engine over to fire with fuel always available.some here don't want to hear it.thinking the engine was designed flawlessly as is.they can think that,but they're wrong lol.
my idi didn't even enter service with the oem lift pump.i nipped that hassle right in the ars.now if i can only nip that flashing od light in the same place.