6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:21 PM
Baylinerchuck
Laughing Gas
Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts
Sorry, I don’t have any cat photos. I gave those up years ago in favor of Australian Shepherds……but I digress.

I guess it’s not technically what I did “to” my 6.0, it’s what I did for it. I attacked some rust and tried to preserve the cradle in which the 6.0 rests. POR-15 as much of the frame and body as I could reach with a chip brush and spray gun. Then sprayed everything else with Blaster metal protection. We’ll see how it holds up.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:44 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
POR-15 Nasty stuff to work with, will stain the heck out of your hands and ruins clothes. Doesn't come off a cement floor either.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-25-2022, 07:53 AM
Baylinerchuck
Laughing Gas
Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
POR-15 Nasty stuff to work with, will stain the heck out of your hands and ruins clothes. Doesn't come off a cement floor either.
You’re not kidding. After the first time I used it, I realized this stuff has to “wear” off your skin. This time I used a Tivek suit, and goggles. Painting the frame while on your back with the POR-15 running down the brush handle sucked. The second coat I used a spray gun which was a little easier, but the overspray was terrible. As much as a pain as it is, I feel like brushing it on gets the best, deepest coverage. As you can see, the rust left a lot of pitting in a 17 year old truck. The salt brine put on the roads here really accelerated the rust. The combination or POR-15 and fluid film type products are my attempt at preserving this truck as much as possible. We shall see.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:51 PM
shelbnreno2020
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had zero luck with my 2003 excursion 6.0 it still will not start at all

Originally Posted by Piolet
So today I did oil and filter change, fuel filters, tranny filter with 8 qrt fluid swap and transfer case fluid change.

You guys down in the warmer states might not appreciate this, but getting to work on the truck in the mid 60's with the sun shining was heaven.

It was only a few weeks ago I was doing the parking brake and rear hub seals in freaking COLD weather with snow flying.
Today was enjoyable and I even had a beer too. Maintenance in the winter outside, sometimes at night after work, can be real disheartening.
I have had zero luck just got the 2003 excursion 6.0 and it cranked really long to start at first but now it will not start at all just keeps draining the battery’s I have whitebsmoke I put in 911 and check first fuel bowl on motor and mixed 50 50 with 911 and diesel and it was not jelled I did try to in plug i c p sensor and it does the same thing I do hear injector ticking or glow plugs when I first turn key on and I do hear the fuel pump coming on also not sure on codes the battery keeps going dead so I have no idea
I do have white smoke coming out of tail pipe

Old 01-25-2022, 07:01 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbnreno2020
I have had zero luck just got the 2003 excursion 6.0 and it cranked really long to start at first but now it will not start at all just keeps draining the battery’s I have whitebsmoke I put in 911 and check first fuel bowl on motor and mixed 50 50 with 911 and diesel and it was not jelled I did try to in plug i c p sensor and it does the same thing I do hear injector ticking or glow plugs when I first turn key on and I do hear the fuel pump coming on also not sure on codes the battery keeps going dead so I have no idea
I do have white smoke coming out of tail pipe
Read this :

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...condition.html

Old 01-25-2022, 09:39 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

after putting my back out on thursday ive been driving Lil dually. Partly because of the weather. Partly because i cant get in and outta jezebel either because my back still hurts. But just figured id post a pic of her going down the highway for a lil run.

Still gotta fix her valve cover leak. But my backs not up to that. Any ideas on how to fix the stripped bolt hole would be appreciated. Ive rethreaded it twice and keeps pulling out the new ones.

so going to see if i can find the leak in the spare tire instead. And maybe put the new radio in her tomorrow since i think my back will be more up to that atm.

Old 01-26-2022, 04:57 AM
RoberDen
Mountain Pass
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Driveway mechanic (if that) here. May seem simple to most in this forum, but I have never done wrenching till a couple years ago (post retirement).

So yesterday i decided to tackle my leaking pinion seal in the rear differential. YouTube was my friend but I did not have a tool/socket big enough to seat the new seal. So I made one out of a 1-1/4" floor flange, a 6" nipple and a cap. Worked like a charm. No more leaks.

The following 5 users liked this post by RoberDen:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83

after putting my back out on thursday ive been driving Lil dually. Partly because of the weather. Partly because i cant get in and outta jezebel either because my back still hurts. But just figured id post a pic of her going down the highway for a lil run.

Still gotta fix her valve cover leak. But my backs not up to that. Any ideas on how to fix the stripped bolt hole would be appreciated. Ive rethreaded it twice and keeps pulling out the new ones.

so going to see if i can find the leak in the spare tire instead. And maybe put the new radio in her tomorrow since i think my back will be more up to that atm.
Were you listening to this?

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Driver's Seat3.mp3 (4.65 MB, 25 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Were you listening to this?
nahh was more like this

mostly because i was going to work lol.

Only took me a good bit of the day but got my new radio in. Took me a bit to remember how to take the dash apart. Then found the rats nest of wires from the previous owners install.

So i got rid of the rats nest.

Bought a new wire harness adapter and did a nice clean job soldering the wires together.

I love how much smaller the new unit is. Takes alot of weight off the dash trim. I dont get why they single din dash kits dont mount to the inner dash bits like the double dins do.

But its in now and it works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sparky83:
Old 01-31-2022, 04:44 AM
Hartwig
Cargo Master
Received 1,048 Likes on 527 Posts
Have built a heater core connector disconnect tool.

This tool does not work because the material used is too thin.

https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo...=1001073&jsn=6

mine works now

The following 3 users liked this post by Hartwig:
Old 01-31-2022, 07:10 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

It's not that it's too thin, its that the spacing is too wide.

And for those who don't have a machine shop in their garage, so does this.

The following 5 users liked this post by TooManyToys.:
Old 01-31-2022, 05:18 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
It's not that it's too thin, its that the spacing is too wide.

And for those who don't have a machine shop in their garage, so does this.
What?? People really live like that?

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-31-2022, 06:22 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Kind of reminds me of the old machine shop behind WB Grant Insurance.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:31 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the old machine shop behind WB Grant Insurance.
Actually Down Neck section of Newark. The man in the vest is my grandfather's father & the guy in the back in the suit is his grandfather.
My Grandfather had shops in Springfield, Union, & last shop he retired from was the old Tram Electronics building that he owned at the 9 & 166 split (original an Oldsmobile dealer but after he sold it became a petstore, McPets). My father & Uncle also worked for my Grandfather. I still remember it like yesterday.
So I think I'm 5th generation that can run a mill and lathe. Among some other things.

Sorry for off topic all. But I do atleast think about my 6.0 and the memories I made with the truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by 87crewdually:
Old 01-31-2022, 08:42 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

That's cool Pete! I thought you just pulled the image off the internet. Any idea of the time period? I've posted images of my grandfather's here before.

Once a 6.0 owner, you always are in the 6.0 family.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?