1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dear Diary . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow what a DICKtator ( minus the -tator)

Sorry about that guys, no more late night projects. Works sucks so i took it out on you guy, and that was my mistake. Thanks for everything. I understand your concern, you've seen every punk kid ( I'm 34) come along and flame out with too high of goals. Well this kid has certainly learned a lesson today, LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THING SOMEONE HAS TO OFFER THAT HAS BEEN THROUGH IT BEFORE. The person i always have in mind as i'm building is my mechanic, he passed some time back, he was the original backyard mechanic, during the winter her had at least two or three engines in his house that he was rebuilding. I wish he could have helped me with this.

Again, thanks for everything you guy do and sacrifice for us to keep these truck on the road and really also it keeps me out of trouble, who know what I'd be doing if not this, I give up a large chunk of drinking to build this thing ( let's see beer or cab mounts)

Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Since I was the last one to post, I assume I am the "tator"?
I tried to PM or emaill you to apologize for giving unsolicited and/or unwanted advice but you have both shut off. I apologize and will refrain from answering/commenting on your posts in the future. Have a good day and good luck.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Check this out, not real far away: 1953 Ford Panel Truck Very Rusty
If he'll sell the pickup for a couple hundred (has no title) you'd be in great shape!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I tried to PM or emaill you to apologize for giving unsolicited and/or unwanted advice but you have both shut off. I apologize and will refrain from answering/commenting on your posts in the future. Have a good day and good luck.

I think he was calling himself that not you.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
I think he was calling himself that not you.

you got it right

Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer

Dude, you have been a massive help to me and everyone, you have either been there and done/tried it, of seen it done or tried. I'm the idiot for doubting yours, Fordmans, and the others wisdom

Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ax has gotten in to "trouble" before for being very blunt and matter of fact. I have learned to listen to what he says, not necessarily the way he says it. He has a load of knowledge and very willing to share it, and a big part of this forum. I once accused him of not having a sense of humor, but he proved me wrong on that too.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have all been helped by Ax and his willingness to share his knowledge. Plus it's fun to see who or how he ticks off someone that may not understand his bluntness. We love ya Ax

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Originally Posted by topmoo
Ax has gotten in to "trouble" before for being very blunt and matter of fact. I have learned to listen to what he says, not necessarily the way he says it.

My old mechanic was like that, you walk up and say 'Hey', he replays with "It's first stage of horse sh#t, what the h#ll you want?'

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> So here’s my thought’s on this . . . .

My goal for this truck is be in the same class as the modern F250, be able to tow, pull, and haul with ease. I may be going over the top on a few things but it’s for fun I guess,

Motor: 300/I6, no V8 because I’m wanting to get decent gas mileage. The I6 I’ve messed with before and like the way it performs, the C6 I recently found out the HP loss though it so I’m using the NP435, it gives a low gear to tow/pull and less HP loss.

Axles/Brakes/Suspension: I want the dually because, one it’s not a popular add-on and it looks awesome, and two it should allow me to throw more in it and not have to worry about tires under load. I am at least going front disc, if not rear also later. Suspension, I don’t really care much on how it rides, it’s a truck, the stock leafs will do fine.

So recently (in Aug) I picked up a 79 F350 Cab and Chassis, dually, 400m/NP435. I had the Dana 70 dually I was searching for, leaf springs, drive shaft, master cylinder, and anything else that I needed for $400 (my birthday present)

So with the bank of parts I start a list:
- hire a Pro. Welder to inspect the frame.

- Pull the springs and perches from the 350 to go on the 250
- Can I adapt the steering setup from the 350 over? If not I need

the toyota Install kit from Midfifty to install the Toyota box.
- Pull the master cylinder, Oh the booster is quite large so it’s not

really gonna work under (Crap, I want to keep the stock

pedal location), well now I need to look at hanging it, so pull

the pedal assembly from the 350 to use.
- Use the two piece drive shaft set up from the 350
- Need a front cross member and motor mounts
- Need a trans mount
- Need the rebuild the whole front end, everything
- Cab mount, wiring, etc . . .

So I get looking at the F350 frame and it’s the same width, a bit longer but that’s not a deal breaker. The frontend is complete and not mashed together, the steering system is complete, 400 is sitting in it ready to go (no drive shaft cutting, or pinion angle adjustment), all the brakes are there (nothing to build, mount, make up). I’ll have to lift the cab about 2-3in to line up with the fenders, will have to transfer the 56’s cab mounts over.

So it’s coming up on winter and the motorcycle is staring to show wear from the 300mi a week for work and the cold and rain is not something I wish to deal with again this winter, so the push to get the truck done is more and more.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hola Samsn,
Hmmm.. If I was looking at having to ride 300 miles a week on a motorcycle through the snow & bitter cold - I'd go find a nice running reliable modern truck with a working heater.

Then I'd take a couple of years to build a nice old truck. It took us 2.5 years to build our truck & we had a ton of help. I'm sure it can be done faster by someone with a lot of experience.

I hate to write this - but if this is going to be a reliable daily driver it's going to take a while.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Does the dually run and drive? If it doesn't need a complete mechanical restoration. And it can legally be done in your state then, to me, using the whole 79 chassis is the way to go. Especially if you want to haul and tow with it. The 79 has a stronger more modern chassis, that already has PS, power disc brakes.

Your engine choice shouldn't be a problem either. The 300 can be swapped in place of the 400 quite easily and the 300 will require a much smaller firewall recess then the 400 would. You will need a pair of motor mount frame perches/towers out of a 65-79 2wd Ford truck that had a 240/300 or a 352/360/390FE V8. You can use the 79's current NP435. You will need to swap out the bell housing and flywheel. I did this swap on a 78 F250 4x4.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058
I hate to write this - but if this is going to be a reliable daily driver it's going to take a while.

I'm starting to realize that more and more

Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
Does the dually run and drive?
Yep, drove it off the trailer and down the drive before i pulled the cab and all. All i think it would need is plugs/wires and a carb rebuild

Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Samsn4
All i think it would need is plugs/wires and a carb rebuild
Well that doesn't really matter if you aren't using the 400.

I was just asking because my 78 F150 4x4 ended up needing a front to back refresh.

Quick Reply: Dear Diary . . .