6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM
machine62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Machine - what was the build date of your truck. Your symptoms are very close to mine (built 12/5). The 2/3 harsh shift gets better after the tranny hits 140 but the 4/5 is a constant regardless of tranny temp.
I dont remember the exact date but I believe it was middle of November.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Noah2010
Question? Are there "interupts" involved in servicing the queue?

I am fairly confident I do not understand the truck brain architecture and I am sure I wont solve the issue I had, I am confident FORD can and will.

Just wondering.
There are others here more versed than I am, but I can confidently say that with any bus architecture there are necessary interrupts and fault handling mechanisms. commonly, a message times out after several miliseconds in the bus and is resubmitted to the top of the queue. There is generally a global TTL as well, so messages will expire if never retrieved.

most modern service busses (not sure if this one qualifies or not) allow multiple channels of queue access, sometimes multiple queues to better organize and compartmentalize the messages. For example, it would make sense to me (again, this is speculation) for the PCM, TCM, and BCM to have their own queues, with a common controller separating messages when necessary. messages could be submitted directly to a specific queue, or to the common queue for observation by multiple agents.

This concept is used for lots and lots of things in today's technological world. I don't know that it is used in the same way for our trucks, but I'm relatively certain that it's a very close facsimile.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by machine62
I dont remember the exact date but I believe it was middle of November.
Based on your date range, I think we are both driving Job 2 trucks, most likely with the same flash.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Just in case anyone is keeping count, let me get on here as saying that I am having the same problem with my 2011 F350. I've had this truck for 6 months and it has happened about 5 times. Seems like it only happens when cold or sitting for at least an hour.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I am seeing slips going from 2 to 3 when cold and first drive of the day. Also to a lesser degree I see the random behavior in up and down shifting. Took it into the dealer and for the 2 to 3 slip on first drive they suggested to first put it into reverse to charge the direct clutch. Don't have to drive in reverse just shift into it and leave it until you feel it bite into gear. The pressure in the trans will climb to some 500 psi. Does this sound right to anyone? I will try it and see.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by dbc001
I am seeing slips going from 2 to 3 when cold and first drive of the day. Also to a lesser degree I see the random behavior in up and down shifting. Took it into the dealer and for the 2 to 3 slip on first drive they suggested to first put it into reverse to charge the direct clutch. Don't have to drive in reverse just shift into it and leave it until you feel it bite into gear. The pressure in the trans will climb to some 500 psi. Does this sound right to anyone? I will try it and see.
I was told the same thing by the service department when I put mine in the shop for the new flash (before they pulled it that day). So apparently this is suppose to help for the shift issue after a cold soak. Apparently this is being addressed with the new TSB and this is a stop gap until the TSB flash is finally issued.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
if you guys know when you can repeat it try to video it and post it. show the video of the dash.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
if you guys know when you can repeat it try to video it and post it. show the video of the dash.
Not sure what you mean by video tape it... All FORD is saying that if you put it in reverse (R) before you start driving after a cold soak, that this (should) help with the shifting from 2 to 3.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by frt2599
Not sure what you mean by video tape it... All FORD is saying that if you put it in reverse (R) before you start driving after a cold soak, that this (should) help with the shifting from 2 to 3.
Some of the guys here can reproduce this problem without an issue.
In that case, they can record it happening such as what Byram did.

Mine is random.
I can drive the exact same way after a failed shift and the truck runs flawlessly.
I change my driving style and it runs flawlessly.
Every once in awhile, it will have an "event."

I don't know about this reverse work around.
Two events ago, I backed out of my driveway (so I was moving).
Seven miles later I had the slip with high rev then shift.
This was after driving 15 or so miles (I explained this in more detail several pages back).
I remember using reverse leaving because normally I backup to park when I get home but was about to leave again so I didn't park as I do normally.
Also my coolant and transmission temp gauges were at half so my truck was certainly warmed up.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by kper05
Some of the guys here can reproduce this problem without an issue.
In that case, they can record it happening such as what Byram did.

Mine is random.
I can drive the exact same way after a failed shift and the truck runs flawlessly.
I change my driving style and it runs flawlessly.
Every once in awhile, it will have an "event."

I don't know about this reverse work around.
Two events ago, I backed out of my driveway (so I was moving).
Seven miles later I had the slip with high rev then shift.
This was after driving 15 or so miles (I explained this in more detail several pages back).
I remember using reverse leaving because normally I backup to park when I get home but was about to leave again so I didn't park as I do normally.
Also my coolant and transmission temp gauges were at half so my truck was certainly warmed up.

OK gotcha.. Yeah mine is completely random so can't reproduce at will... At this point I'm just going to wait for the new flash/TSB and see what happens. Suppose to be out in a couple weeks. Ford is apparently well aware of the issues and hopefully the TSB will address.. Keep your fingers crossed...

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Another manual mode 2-3 shift failure with TCS off today merging onto a busy 50 mph highway.

This one did not correct itself and it wouldn't shift into third at all even coasting.
I had to upshift it to 4th to get the transmission to find a working gear.
I was out of gear for at least 6 seconds before 4th took over.
That's a long time if you think about it.

Busy road and while I would have had plenty of time had it shifted, I could have caused a wreck today but thanks to the fast acting driver behind me that was averted.

I like to use manual mode on this road so I can control my shifts in the busy traffic better but even that fails me now.

I know you're working on this Ford but we need this fix soon!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by kper05
Another manual mode 2-3 shift failure with TCS off today merging onto a busy 50 mph highway.

This one did not correct itself and it wouldn't shift into third at all even coasting.
I had to upshift it to 4th to get the transmission to find a working gear.
I was out of gear for at least 6 seconds before 4th took over.
That's a long time if you think about it.

Busy road and while I would have had plenty of time had it shifted, I could have caused a wreck today but thanks to the fast acting driver behind me that was averted.

I like to use manual mode on this road so I can control my shifts in the busy traffic better but even that fails me now.

I know you're working on this Ford but we need this fix soon!
Mine is random as well. I have to slowly back out of the garage, so I am in reverse for at least 2 minutes. My 2/3 shifting issue is definitely temperature related. When my tranny is below 140, I have a more pronounced shifting issue with 2/3. I do not have a significant shifting delay issue, more like a hunting thing.

One thing that stays, regardless of temperature is the 4/5 upshift clunk. On the upshift, it will clunk during normal acceleration. Heavier acceleration and it seems to want to go from 4/5/6 without the clunk.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
My trans acts funny when the temps are 140 plus or minus.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
You guys with your tranny issues are stressing me out! Is there anyone else here that isn't experiencing these problems?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
brownbri
New User
Nothing like this from my dads truck. I drive it quite a bit and after reading on here about transmission problems I have paid very close attention to the transmission and I have not noticed any bad manners or missed shifts or anything. Truck has 3700 miles, usual transmission oil temp on start up is 37 degrees.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues