6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
t24cv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok gents I just got my truck back from my dealer had the new flash done so far it seemed to do the trick I can't even feel the trans shift I also believe it also improved mpg but to early to really tell right now I will keep you posted

Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
blueline38
Freshman User
2011 f250

I am new to this forum and would like to thank everyone for the information on here. My truck was perfect until about 2,000 miles. (I'm assuming that is when the learning phase is supposed to be over) I searched the internet and found this forum. Up until recently my dealer could not reproduce the problem and no tsb applied to my truck due to manufacture date. The good news is this morning they called me and verified the problem exist, however, the needed solenoids are on back order until September!

Originally Posted by t24cv
Ok gents I just got my truck back from my dealer had the new flash done so far it seemed to do the trick I can't even feel the trans shift I also believe it also improved mpg but to early to really tell right now I will keep you posted
Keep us updated. I was getting better gas mileage before the problem started. I get around 13mpg right now but would love to see a couple more.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM
whiteywhip
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was having thoughts of buying a 6.7 but after reading this it dont look too good now.....good luck guys

Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Don't be scared, this is not that common of a problem and I know there are many on here that have not had any issues, myself included. The longer this engine is on the road, the better the techs will be at identifying the few glitches it has and they will be better equipped to fix them quickly and easily. It's not the engine's fault a bad batch of solenoids were manufactured - things happen sometimes.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM
blueline38
Freshman User
f250

Originally Posted by 2horses
Don't be scared, this is not that common of a problem and I know there are many on here that have not had any issues, myself included. The longer this engine is on the road, the better the techs will be at identifying the few glitches it has and they will be better equipped to fix them quickly and easily. It's not the engine's fault a bad batch of solenoids were manufactured - things happen sometimes.
I knew buying a BRAND NEW truck that there would be glitches and I am ok with that as long as FORD owns up to them and corrects them. Years ago I had a 2002 F150 which suffered from the spark plug blow out problem and the bad front fork problem. Both problems Ford was aware of and refused to accept that it was poor manufacturing design. That truck cost me thousands in repair (out of warranty) and I traded it for a Chevy 1500. The Chevy was problem free but I wanted a 3/4 ton and after the bailout I would not buy another GM product. I also liked the specs on the 6.2 compared to the 6.0 and the design of the f250 over the 2500. I hope this truck last me a while!!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
moebutt
New User
mine did it also ... new flash fixed it

Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
whiteywhip
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2horses
i am not scared but when i see 21 pages of tranny problems and parts on back order till september really blows....i test drove a 6.7 and i was really impressed.....hopefully they get this problem straightened out

Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
whiteywhip
Senior User
well did anyone get this fixed yet??

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Mine has been great since the trans flash 2-3 weeks ago. It still has a somewhat strong 4-5 shift, but that could be the way it's programmed to keep the RPM's up while hitting the higher gear. My lower gear up and down shift issues seem to be gone.

Having said that, I'm probably still in the relearning process so I'm hoping it gets even better over the next few weeks (not worse).

And finally.... I still LOVE this truck. Nearly everything about it. And everyone who gets in my truck and those I trust to let drive it are blown away by the whole package. Every single person who has been in my truck has commented that it's by far the nicest truck they've ever rode in. Ford did it right.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Mine was fixed with the flash and Nox sensor replacement.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM
johnc2
New User
Shudder, vibration and knocking sound

I've read all the posts on the transmission issues with the 6.7 on this forum and others and would like to add one more condition. Mine seems to not downshift in time, especially when driving on roller coaster type hills. It may be in 6th going downhill but when I approach the next uphill portion it doesn't seem to downshift to 5th fast enough, the truck starts to shudder and there is a knocking sound coming from the top of the engine. So I decided to use the + - to lock out 5th and 6th hopeing to compensate for the slow downshifts. It seemed to work ok, but today I was on level road going about 50 with it in 6th when I could feel the truck start to shudder and when I pushed down on pedal to speed up it started knocking for a few seconds, and quickly picked up speed. This happens quite often. The truck has a build date of 12/10. Had it at the dealer's last week and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. Was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
gregg2011
New User
6.2 shifting issues

I too have been experiencing a harsh shift from 2nd-3rd when vehicle is cold ( every morning),started at 7500 miles and now at 14000 miles still doing it .ford has rebuilt my tranny, changed out selnoids (3 of them), reprogrammed tranny 3 times, and now they tell me im crazy it doesnt do it anymore. there is also a very slight lose of power just before the initial shift and right after going into 3rd. It has also increased my revolutions by 1000 rpm then drop back down. lastly on about 7 occassions when slowing down it feels like i got bumped from behind and if i can look down quickly it is usually in that 3rd gear range. Going for a lemon law but has anybody heard of it happening on a 2012 version -love the truck but dont want the problem if Ford hasn't addressed it yet

Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't heard near the amount of problems with the '11's on the '12's. Seems like us early adopters were Fords test grounds while they got the bugs worked out. Remember, the torque converter locks up at 3rd gear, so that may account for some harsher shifts when cold (along with the rpm drop). For me, the first few shifts on really cold mornings are a bit harder than normal, but that's literally 2 or 3 shifts before it's back to normal.

Mine is going back in the shop Monday morning for a trans leak, but otherwise, it's been solid and the behavior above doesn't bother me.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM
2011F250Lariat
5th Wheeling
2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.2L Crew Cab Trans problems from day one!

I am having the same issues people describe here with my 6.2l gasser, the trans has never been right from day one, and i hoped the initial reflashes woudl help, however after several reflashes, solenoids replaced, and trans completely torn apart and rebuilt, same problems still, all of you need to be aware that the last software release was designed to MASK/HIDE the problem (what tipped me off is the loss of power after last reflash!), slower and lower rpm shift points for first few gears, to make the problems less noticable, but they are still there! Ford is aware that there is a problem, but they dont know what the cause is! This si the worst, becuase I was confident in their repair of these issues, but i was wrong, and it has never been rapaired, just now my truck has been at the dealer for 5 weeks and still does the same thing, at least the trans guy knows it, cause getting them to admit it is half the battle! Lots of posts on other forums about this and thousands of trucks have these issues it seams. Its time for some buy backs!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Crudgy
New User
Trans shifting problems

Originally Posted by gregg2011
I too have been experiencing a harsh shift from 2nd-3rd when vehicle is cold ( every morning),started at 7500 miles and now at 14000 miles still doing it .ford has rebuilt my tranny, changed out selnoids (3 of them), reprogrammed tranny 3 times, and now they tell me im crazy it doesnt do it anymore. there is also a very slight lose of power just before the initial shift and right after going into 3rd. It has also increased my revolutions by 1000 rpm then drop back down. lastly on about 7 occassions when slowing down it feels like i got bumped from behind and if i can look down quickly it is usually in that 3rd gear range. Going for a lemon law but has anybody heard of it happening on a 2012 version -love the truck but dont want the problem if Ford hasn't addressed it yet
I have a 2011 and have exactly the same problems. Shifts down and it feels like you go hit from behind the dealers says no fix for it. It has become dangerous as it-will rev up when it shifts down. Worse when it is cold. Spent money at t dealer and thy can no fix it they want me to come back so they can reset it and charge me again. Any idea where to call at ford i am tired of paying as it is out of warranty

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues