6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
well its easier for the service department manager to play dumb, what did you expect him to say oh yeah we are hearing about tons of issues. I call BS on them not knowing. if it wasn't wide spread ford wouldn't be "working" on it as we all know they are, like I said they can't admit fault here because of legal reasons and costs to the company. I still think your average joe would be happy with yeah we know about it and we are working on a solution, but even if they said that people would appear out of the woodwork that likely don't even have a real issue. that is the delima
..and this has happened to Ford. There is a period in the Ford 6.0 life that I refer to as the "throw parts at it and pray" period. There were so many head gasket jobs done that were totally unnecessary and Ford/IH ate the bill.

As to the depth and breadth of the problem, Ford has explained at what level the number of reports needed to reach for action... IMO this has been given "safety" status and was put at the front of the line with very few reported posts. Paul has posted the shopping list they had to wade through to even begin the repairs process. Hopefully, the end of this issue and the DEF problem will be gone soon...

Regards

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
jayman2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry posted twice

Last edited by jayman2; 03-29-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: posted twice
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
ric, I would say the DEF problem is not widespread, but trying to say there isn't widespread tranny problems is like saying the sky isn't blue. there is at least 15 people that post in this forum with the problem, what is there like 30-40 who post here, that is a sizable %.

lets say if its not widespread wouldn't that point more to a hardware issue?? lets hope like hell it is widespread and merely a software problem. we are a small sample here but when there is a high percentage of the small sample that is your indicator.

ric, I question your motives in trying to sugar coat this, dude be realistic please it not helpful to be otherwise.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
frt2599
Senior User
ric, I would say the DEF problem is not widespread, but trying to say there isn't widespread tranny problems is like saying the sky isn't blue. there is at least 15 people that post in this forum with the problem, what is there like 30-40 who post here, that is a sizable %.

lets say if its not widespread wouldn't that point more to a hardware issue?? lets hope like hell it is widespread and merely a software problem. we are a small sample here but when there is a high percentage of the small sample that is your indicator.

ric, I question your motives in trying to sugar coat this, dude be realistic please it not helpful to be otherwise.
I would have to agree... There is an issue and I think it's with a large % of the transmissions, if not all of them. I have read many many posts from people saying mine does this and mine does that, but I have learned how to control the throttle so it's doesn't do it. We shouldn't need to baby the throttle in hopes it won't shift wrong. Just drive one in rush hour traffic.... It's burtal... I have seen posts where people drive in Manual Mode in traffic so it doesn't shift. I love this tuck but FORD has an issue with the shifting, otherwise there wouldn't be a 11-3-23 TSB coming out with a laundry list of corrections. This is the third TSB with shift corrections... Hopefully they have it right this time......

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
defiant
New User
Hello all,

Just found this forum after visiting the thedieselstop.com. Seems like a lot more info over here then there Anyways add my Job 2 F350 SRW 4x4 to this list of the transmission issues and CEL discussed in this thread. Seems like mine started out shifting ok but now with some mileage its doing exactly the 2 to 3rd thing and "neutral rev". Way more noticeable with my dump trailer on. If fact when it did over the weekend it felt like I was going to lose the tranny. Hope they get this thing figured out...

Joe

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by defiant
Hello all,

Just found this forum after visiting the thedieselstop.com. Seems like a lot more info over here then there Anyways add my Job 2 F350 SRW 4x4 to this list of the transmission issues and CEL discussed in this thread. Seems like mine started out shifting ok but now with some mileage its doing exactly the 2 to 3rd thing and "neutral rev". Way more noticeable with my dump trailer on. If fact when it did over the weekend it felt like I was going to lose the tranny. Hope they get this thing figured out...

Joe
Welcome.

The good news is, Ford is working on it.
Since I have these issues, I know it is hard to wait but nothing else we can do right now.
I could stop driving but that's not happening.

I try to keep good notes (a Word doc) and I turn those notes in when I visit my dealer so Ford has records.
If not, I have extra copies.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
defiant
New User
Thanks Kper05 for the welcome! I'm glad Ford is working on it but I'm a little concerned about the long term affects on the transmission. I'm no expert but after reading all of the posts on here it seems like it may be more than a simple firmware\software update. I'm going to check my fluid tomorrow and see if its discolored in any way and report back. Once again thanks for welcome it seems like there is a great bunch of folks on here.

P.S. that's a great idea keeping a log. I'm going to start that too!!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by defiant
Thanks Kper05 for the welcome! I'm glad Ford is working on it but I'm a little concerned about the long term affects on the transmission. I'm no expert but after reading all of the posts on here it seems like it may be more than a simple firmware\software update. I'm going to check my fluid tomorrow and see if its discolored in any way and report back. Once again thanks for welcome it seems like there is a great bunch of folks on here.

P.S. that's a great idea keeping a log. I'm going to start that too!!
Oh believe me, I'm concerned too.
I've had my share of transmission issues not (all) caused by my abuse in my previous Ford so I am extra protective of this truck and it abuses itself.

Driving soft, normal or like I stole it doesn't seem to matter.

I know Paul is reading these comments and if he feels the need, he'll get us info on our issues when they understand what is happening.
He has had many great explanations of the how and why related to Ford and our trucks.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seeing that I obviously have a motive for sugar coating issues, I will withdraw from these sort of threads. No sense wasting my time...but what is my motive????

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Mine started the intermittant slamming into 3rd and 5th after 11K miles. The only flash I have had done was the 400/800, I did not have the TSB from December (can't remember the tsb #) for my build 1 truck.

Had my truck in for service and mentioned the hard shift to get it documented. Well I was in luck because it just so happened that the same Field Service Engineer that declared my rear end bounce as "operating as designed" was at the service dept yesterday. She could not duplicate the shift issue so again declared my truck "operating as designed".

So, there you have it.... we are all imagining this problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
well its easier for the service department manager to play dumb, what did you expect him to say oh yeah we are hearing about tons of issues. I call BS on them not knowing. if it wasn't wide spread ford wouldn't be "working" on it as we all know they are, like I said they can't admit fault here because of legal reasons and costs to the company. I still think your average joe would be happy with yeah we know about it and we are working on a solution, but even if they said that people would appear out of the woodwork that likely don't even have a real issue. that is the delima
I sort of agree, however I'd be curious to know how many of us have actually reported the issue to a dealer? I had not before yesterday, and the guy I ran into there with 2 trucks with the same problem hadn't either. And to be honest, I'm not even sure that my "reporting" was actually logged since that's not why I had the truck in for service. I was there for an oil change and the ongoing issue of my truck pulling left. This was more of a conversation between 2 customers and the Service Manager. Anyway, just curious how many of us reporting the problem here have actually reported it to a dealer in a way that it would be documented.

I think because I see the notes here from Paul that Ford is working on it, I feel more comfortable sitting and waiting for the fix. If I hadn't seen that, I would probably have taken it in to look at the specific transmission problem. And this guy truly looked as if he had not heard of the problem. Although he could be a very good poker player...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

I've turned in two detailed logs and I know mine is documented on at least one work order but I think all that one says is "customer has transmission concerns."

When this next flash is available, I already plan to make sure a decent amount of detail and my concerns are logged; however they do it with Ford's internal systems.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
6.7 what did they do about the front end pull?? my truck pulls to the right, which to an extent you would expect because most roads are angled to the right, but this goes beyond that. also my left front tire has sharp edges of the tread rising up that you can feel with your hand if you run it over the tread.

I am going to try and video my truck doing the neutral shift its only done it after I have recently started the engine and took off.

6.7 you are probably right about this not being widely reported as the problem likely is. for me unless I can duplicate a problem I am usually hesitant to take it to the dealer in the past I have even found that in most cases I personally am better at diagnosing issues than most dealer techs, but for alot of people their trucks may have only done it once or twice and they just chalked it up to a fluke. however I do think once has done it once the problem grows more frequent at least it has for me, so its going to become a bigger issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
6.7 what did they do about the front end pull?? my truck pulls to the right, which to an extent you would expect because most roads are angled to the right, but this goes beyond that. also my left front tire has sharp edges of the tread rising up that you can feel with your hand if you run it over the tread.
I have to take it back on Thursday. Their front end guy wasn't available. Mine has been pulling since the day I bought it, but I had the dealer install a leveling kit and I put 35" tires on it within 5 miles of picking up the truck brand new. I've been back to the 1300 S. dealer 3 times, they've tried many things including installing an adjustable track bar. I've also taken it to Russ's alignment (I heard they were the best in SLC), but no luck anywhere. It still pulls hard left. So now I'm trying a different dealer (9000 south in Sandy by my office). We'll see what happens.

To keep from hijacking, I'll PM you the results. If this dealer can fix it I'll let you know and you can try them as well.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
reels
New User
For what it is worth, I have the drunk transmission issues too. More of an annoyance than anything else. I also have a friend with a 90K beamer waiting six months for a harsh shifting/knocking reflash. It happens to the best of them.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues