What have you done to your truck today? - Page 503 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

 
  #7531  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis's Avatar
Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis is offline
Posting Legend
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast, OK
Posts: 32,866
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by old409 View Post
I took my Carter YFA off today and put in a bigger metering rod. I've been playing with the darned thing trying to get better MPG's. The old rod was .037, .054. the replacement was .048, .058. Going back a long way to my Carter AFB days, it seems to me that is a pretty big change in size. the truck still started and ran but it seemed to run a little better and have better throttle response. Time will tell the story on the MPG's. It poured down rain the whole time, it was supposed to rain all day here but the rain stopped just as I finished up.

Next up is getting a pix of the chrome trim on here to see if I can find the missing piece for my door. I've gone to all the local ford JY hot spots here and can't find anything like it. I've gone trough all the pictures I could find in mags and on the internet and haven't seen a truck like it. It's a 81 Ranger XLT with a single trim strip approx. 1 in. wide and it has a black plastic strip through it. That will just about finish my driveway (nice term for halfast) restoration.
That is a BIG change on the power, or small, part of the rod. And, it is a fairly big change on the cruise/economy end of the rod.

Did you drive it gently, so it stayed in the economy mode with the rod down, meaning on the .058" part? Make sure you try getting on it enough that the vacuum drops and the rods come up, as I'm afraid the .048" part will be too lean for power.

By the way, why "old409"? Are you, like myself, a fan of the GMC truck engine?
 
  #7532  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
FordFETruck's Avatar
FordFETruck
FordFETruck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Algona,WA
Posts: 4,368
FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.
Today I took my distributor apart, going to order the Mr. Gasket 925D advance springs this weekend.
 
  #7533  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Gary Lewis's Avatar
Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis is offline
Posting Legend
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast, OK
Posts: 32,866
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Today I welded the bung for the O2 sensor onto the y-pipe. And, when I tried to install it I looked like

 
  #7534  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 PM
FordFETruck's Avatar
FordFETruck
FordFETruck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Algona,WA
Posts: 4,368
FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Today I welded the bung for the O2 sensor onto the y-pipe. And, when I tried to install it I looked like



The weld job looks pretty nice
 
  #7535  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Gary Lewis's Avatar
Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis is offline
Posting Legend
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast, OK
Posts: 32,866
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by FordFETruck View Post
The weld job looks pretty nice
Thanks, but I think this one looks better - for a couple of reasons:
 
  #7536  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM
FordFETruck's Avatar
FordFETruck
FordFETruck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Algona,WA
Posts: 4,368
FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Thanks, but I think this one looks better - for a couple of reasons:

Yeah it does, that's something I'd wind up doing for sure LOL
 
  #7537  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:33 PM
RAY1986F150's Avatar
RAY1986F150
RAY1986F150 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, KY
Posts: 1,137
RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FordFETruck View Post
The weld job looks pretty nice
<-- ME HITTING YOU IN THE HEAD. Its okay. The other day at the GTG I started pressing on the axle bearing on one shaft before I put the retaining clip on and had to press the bearing back off.
 
  #7538  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Gary Lewis's Avatar
Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis is offline
Posting Legend
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast, OK
Posts: 32,866
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150 View Post
<-- ME HITTING YOU IN THE HEAD. Its okay. The other day at the GTG I started pressing on the axle bearing on one shaft before I put the retaining clip on and had to press the bearing back off.
Yeah, I was standing there when you figured out what you'd done. But you don't need to beat me up very much as I've done it to myself a bunch. Glad those bungs come 2 to a package.
 
  #7539  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Fordzilla80's Avatar
Fordzilla80
Fordzilla80 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,986
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
At first I didn't notice it. But then I did.
 
  #7540  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM
RAY1986F150's Avatar
RAY1986F150
RAY1986F150 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, KY
Posts: 1,137
RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yesterday and tonight I finished putting my 9 inch all back together. Its got 2.75 gears for those 40 mile round trips 5 days a week. Im hoping I get a little bit better mpg.

<a target='_blank' title='ImageShack - Image And Video Hosting' href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/dsc1097ff.jpg/'><img src='http://imageshack.us/a/img685/3872/dsc1097ff.jpg' border='0'/></a><br>Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>
 
  #7541  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 AM
old409
old409 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA.
Posts: 126
old409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
That is a BIG change on the power, or small, part of the rod. And, it is a fairly big change on the cruise/economy end of the rod.

Did you drive it gently, so it stayed in the economy mode with the rod down, meaning on the .058" part? Make sure you try getting on it enough that the vacuum drops and the rods come up, as I'm afraid the .048" part will be too lean for power.

By the way, why "old409"? Are you, like myself, a fan of the GMC truck engine?
The old409 comes from my days of running 348 and 409 Chevys. I loved those old "W" motors. I have a trip down the dragstrip in a Z11 409 on my bucket list. I had faster cars but none as fun to take down the strip.

The truck seemed to run fine. There wasn't much change on my vacuum gauge. I really only drove it a couple miles so far. My exhaust isn't near a rich as it was.

I've had a lot of problems with the ethanol gas, softening the hose parts on the gas line and gumming up my filter. I hope the ethanol soon gets all the old scummy film cleaned off everything. My truck runs much better and I get 4 or 5 mpg more on the old gas but it is expensive and not always available.
 
  #7542  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 AM
lostdane's Avatar
lostdane
lostdane is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Okmulgee ok
Posts: 90
lostdane is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Yeah, I was standing there when you figured out what you'd done. But you don't need to beat me up very much as I've done it to myself a bunch. Glad those bungs come 2 to a package.
Hey gary. Sorry I have not been on lately. things are more active than an invading bee hive here. How are things? Say, I have a problem. My 84 300 i6 has a fly wheel with a part nomber c6ae-6380-c (164tooth)and is eating starters. Is this the correct flywheel? and can I simply change the ring gear. It is plumb towup!!!! give me a call if you feel so inclined and still have my phone nomber.
 
  #7543  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Fordzilla80's Avatar
Fordzilla80
Fordzilla80 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,986
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
Just fired off a few emails to salvage yards across the US concerning 1980-1981 4x4 trucks they have in stock. Let's hope at least one of them has the T-Case handle I'm looking for.
 
  #7544  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Gary Lewis's Avatar
Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis is offline
Posting Legend
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast, OK
Posts: 32,866
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150 View Post
Yesterday and tonight I finished putting my 9 inch all back together. Its got 2.75 gears for those 40 mile round trips 5 days a week. Im hoping I get a little bit better mpg.
When are you going to install it? Hope you don't have to do it in a 114 degree parking lot!

Originally Posted by old409 View Post
The old409 comes from my days of running 348 and 409 Chevys. I loved those old "W" motors. I have a trip down the dragstrip in a Z11 409 on my bucket list. I had faster cars but none as fun to take down the strip.

The truck seemed to run fine. There wasn't much change on my vacuum gauge. I really only drove it a couple miles so far. My exhaust isn't near a rich as it was.

I've had a lot of problems with the ethanol gas, softening the hose parts on the gas line and gumming up my filter. I hope the ethanol soon gets all the old scummy film cleaned off everything. My truck runs much better and I get 4 or 5 mpg more on the old gas but it is expensive and not always available.
Yep, I liked the W motors as well. Had a 58 Impala with that engine. Man, did it have torque!

I hope the rod change works out for you, but am a bit worried that the power A/F ratio will be too lean.

Originally Posted by lostdane View Post
Hey gary. Sorry I have not been on lately. things are more active than an invading bee hive here. How are things? Say, I have a problem. My 84 300 i6 has a fly wheel with a part nomber c6ae-6380-c (164tooth)and is eating starters. Is this the correct flywheel? and can I simply change the ring gear. It is plumb towup!!!! give me a call if you feel so inclined and still have my phone nomber.
LD - Don't have your number, but I did look up the flywheel. Assuming you have a C6 tranny it should be D5TZ 6375-A. If you have an manual tranny then E0TZ 6375-A. In other words, the # is 6375 for a flywheel. In fact, there seems to be no 6380 as it jumps from 6379, which is the bolt for the flywheel, to 6384 which is the ring gear on the flywheel.

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Just fired off a few emails to salvage yards across the US concerning 1980-1981 4x4 trucks they have in stock. Let's hope at least one of them has the T-Case handle I'm looking for.
Let me know if you find one near me. I owe you, big time.
 
  #7545  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk is offline
pedant
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EXTREME southwest CT
Posts: 23,590
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Remember Gary, that the number lost dane reads stamped or cast into a part is the engineering number, NOT the part number.

LD's engineering number shows the part was designed originally as an engine part for a 1966 full sized Ford, and the 'C' suffix denotes the third revision.

That basic part # (3680) would tend to be somewhere between the flywheel bolt and ring gear.

And a C6 should have a flex plate, not a flywheel.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.