1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Odie the Truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced middle ignition switch and lubed up the key cylinder.
Started making the replacement 12 awg power wires to the ignition/fuseblock/accessory lighting locations.
Replaced the original 30 year old rear shocks- then started spraying down the fronts with PB blaster in preparation for those.

Tried to fix the wipers by reflowing the solder in the back of the wiper control module, but it's still FUBAR.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I haven't done anything "to" my truck today, but I did something "for" it. I opened a pair of boxes from my buddy Kyle - this guy:

The boxes contained two 80/81 door panels in the best condition I've seen in a long while, as well as the metal "woodgrain" trim for them - which I can use as a template for making my own. In addition there was a wiper and headlight ****, plus a keyed hood release. And, on a whim, I tried Rusty's door key and it opens and locks the hood release.

Thanks, Kyle!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should go get a lottery ticket. What are the odds that would work?

Those panels are not even cleaned up. They do not seem brittle at all. A heat gun may take the little dent out of the one panel.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
arazu
Cross-Country
My brakes got a little mushy so I checked fluid levels and crawled all over looking for leaks. Tomorrow I'm going to bleed them.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:05 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Drove it today. I'm really enjoying that manual choke. Even sitting for a few days at 25-45 degrees. 3/4 closed, 2 pumps and it starts faster than any EFI rig around it. Leave it on 1/2 choke for 4-5 minutes and it's up to full operating temperature. Took about 15 minutes to fully warm up with that electric choke! on another note I decided to take it on the freeway today. Sure drives nice since I readjusted the steering box a while back.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by first today
I think you should go get a lottery ticket. What are the odds that would work?

Those panels are not even cleaned up. They do not seem brittle at all. A heat gun may take the little dent out of the one panel.
I'm not big on lottery tickets, but the odds of that working are quite slim. So I now know what key/tumblers I'll use for Dad's truck and will swap others out to Rusty.

As for the panels, they do have small dents. I'm wondering if I could take that section from a panel w/o a dent and glue it behind the dent - after heating the dent to make it pliable. Or, maybe a thin piece of aluminum glued behind it?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Drove it today. I'm really enjoying that manual choke. Even sitting for a few days at 25-45 degrees. 3/4 closed, 2 pumps and it starts faster than any EFI rig around it. Leave it on 1/2 choke for 4-5 minutes and it's up to full operating temperature. Took about 15 minutes to fully warm up with that electric choke! on another note I decided to take it on the freeway today. Sure drives nice since I readjusted the steering box a while back.
Well, oddly enough Rusty's e-choke didn't do well today and I was thinking maybe it is time for a manual one. And then I checked and the tranny's kickdown rod was jammed between the carb and the link that opens the choke at WOT. Now that the rod has been secured out of the way (this carb doesn't have the linkage for the kickdown), all is well and there's no reason to convert to a manual choke.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well, oddly enough Rusty's e-choke didn't do well today and I was thinking maybe it is time for a manual one. And then I checked and the tranny's kickdown rod was jammed between the carb and the link that opens the choke at WOT. Now that the rod has been secured out of the way (this carb doesn't have the linkage for the kickdown), all is well and there's no reason to convert to a manual choke.
I kept having the problem with the Edelbrock with the throttle cable, it would lean up against the choke linkages and bind them all up. That sure got annoying and threw me curve ***** for a while!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I kept having the problem with the Edelbrock with the throttle cable, it would lean up against the choke linkages and bind them all up. That sure got annoying and threw me curve ***** for a while!
I've modified the factory bracket to get the throttle cable where it should be with the aftermarket intake. It is the intake which is the source of the problem as it repositions the carb and the bracket isn't right. So, I can see how the linkage could cause a problem.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I've modified the factory bracket to get the throttle cable where it should be with the aftermarket intake. It is the intake which is the source of the problem as it repositions the carb and the bracket isn't right. So, I can see how the linkage could cause a problem.
Yeah, I never had that problem with the factory iron intake.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I accidentally drove around with my parking brake on.
Thought I smelled something burning.

4.10's and a 460, I really didn't notice.
Guess I need to check the bulbs in my cluster.

I'll have the rear wheels off anyhow to mount new tires for winter.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I started up the truck this morning to see how she does in the cold. Started fine then died when I tried to go in reverse. Scratched my head a bit then realized I had fixed the parking brake and it was on... Released it and all is well..

I also did some work on the K9 Car -

Painted the new console parts, started to fit the overhead console and examined the K9 Cage in the event I decide to remove and paint it. I also picked up a stripe remover wheel to get the remaining adhesive residue off.

The Ozone generator, along with Auto Vaccine got the last of the dog funk out!

In looking at the vehicle, it would be cheaper to paint it white, but I'm REALLY leaning towards flat black. Saw a SUV on Chicago PD that was flat black...

I also think I'm going to paint the 85 F150 flat black..

Old 11-14-2014, 05:52 PM
bullnose_or_bust
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New thermostat housing and hoses. The old one was held on with rtv and a prayer. Still think there's a coolant leak somewhere in there.

Also put some new hinge pins, because why not.

Getting inspected Monday, fingers crossed.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Matching trucks? Cool! On the pickup, will you blackout the bumper, grille, and window trim?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Matching trucks? Cool! On the pickup, will you blackout the bumper, grille, and window trim?
That's what I'm thinking. Stealth all the way

Seriously considering SEM Hot Rod Black

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?