1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using SCT tuner on new 6.2L Super Duty??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM
admorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using SCT tuner on new 6.2L Super Duty??

Just curious as to your results...worth the investment or not? Where did you see/feel the biggest changes? The only thing I would be looking for is an improvement in keeping it from shifting to 6th gear so quickly...other than that the trans/engine combo seem to be pretty stout. Thinking about going 5 Star Tuning route.

any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Alan

Old 09-04-2010, 06:03 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi Alan
I know you want others feedback. But just wanted to confirm that the 6th gear holds until 48-50 mph in the tune, which works nice when your in town and under speeds of 47 mph it holds 5th with converter locked. And once in 6th gear when speed drops to 47 mph ish it drops back into 5th gear and aids in braking.

Give us a call any time i can go over the many other specifics on what improves in the tune.

Mike

Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Got the tunes on my 6.2... I really like it - Yes I feel that it does make a difference. I have used 87 T/H pretty much most of the time - Ran a couple of tanks of premium & put the 91 T/H flash on - I think it ran great - but hard to keep the foot out of it...

Back on the 87 now - I think that you would be happy with the sixth gear change.

Plus Mike has done some improvements to it since I got mine.. Just got the e-mail this morning so haven't been able to do anything about that...

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
VintageSCUBA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Byram
Got the tunes on my 6.2... I really like it - Yes I feel that it does make a difference. I have used 87 T/H pretty much most of the time - Ran a couple of tanks of premium & put the 91 T/H flash on - I think it ran great - but hard to keep the foot out of it...

Back on the 87 now - I think that you would be happy with the sixth gear change.

Plus Mike has done some improvements to it since I got mine.. Just got the e-mail this morning so haven't been able to do anything about that...

Good luck!
That all sounds good. But I'm in a "wait and see"mode at this time. I am considering all this but I just don't know about the down side, if there is any.

I just think the machine (engine & tranny) is so new. What and how does SCT know things that the Ford engineers, that have spent much more time with all the testing and engineering data, doesn't know? Why would Ford not have done the same? That's the $64,000.00 question. Oh, and by the way, that's almost what these trucks cost!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

My take is - Ford programs are meant to satisfy everyone (one size fits all).. SCT (5 Star Tuning) customizes the programming to fit your needs. For instance I got the 91 performance/tow tune - I would say the Ford programming would do nothing with the higher octane fuel - Mike has posted Dyno graphs showing the increase in HP / Ft#'s with the use of higher octane. But not everyone would want to put the costlier fuel in for a few more horses..

Plus - if they can make the torque converter lock up a little better & other things that fit my needs - that is great.

Of course Custom tunes might not be everyone's choice of adult beverage...

Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Hi Guys
Thanks for posting up. No worries here. Outside looking in i can see how one would have concerns with any after market product. I agree its not for everyone no worries there for sure. I can say that Ford puts out PCM updates very frequently on all vehicles as they are improving the drive-ability and or emissions concerns. Our 6.2L even when new came with a reflash PCM code SHV6 with 60 miles on it for some reason. Now Ford has a SHV7 out now for the truck.

The 6.2L is a good motor stock or tuned thats for sure but theres always room for improvement. I can assure anyone that buys a 6.2L 5 Star X3 tune that all of the tunes are ran/tested in my own $40,000 truck first for a good amount of time driving and towing. The 6 gear lugging around town is a good example of one thing thats corrected for drive-ability. I even noticed it when in stock form with 200 miles on the truck.

thanks for the feedback guys

Mike

Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
VintageSCUBA
Freshman User
A Question for Mike.

Originally Posted by fordmdb
Hi Guys
Thanks for posting up. No worries here. Outside looking in i can see how one would have concerns with any after market product. I agree its not for everyone no worries there for sure. I can say that Ford puts out PCM updates very frequently on all vehicles as they are improving the drive-ability and or emissions concerns. Our 6.2L even when new came with a reflash PCM code SHV6 with 60 miles on it for some reason. Now Ford has a SHV7 out now for the truck.

The 6.2L is a good motor stock or tuned thats for sure but theres always room for improvement. I can assure anyone that buys a 6.2L 5 Star X3 tune that all of the tunes are ran/tested in my own $40,000 truck first for a good amount of time driving and towing. The 6 gear lugging around town is a good example of one thing thats corrected for drive-ability. I even noticed it when in stock form with 200 miles on the truck.

thanks for the feedback guys

Mike
Mike,

I have been giving this all some thought. In you tunes what consideration is there for the final drive ratio? I ordered my machine with the 4.30's. and so far it appears to be the right fit for me and how I use the machine. Are your tunes optimized for a particular final drive? What part does the rear end ratio play in the shift points and converter lock up schedule?

Ken.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Hi Ken
There is some consideration for final gear ratio for sure. From the PCM side on what i have seen Ford is using the same identical PCM code, which is using the same shift/torque converter strategies for the 6.2L trucks with 3.73 and 4.30 gear ratios. The PCM determines when to shift or lock converter on TP / throttle position and or MPH not so much RPMs in these trucks. The PCM also has some range of adaptive learning for gear ratios and tire sizes as well. Our tunes are developed on our truck which has the 4.30 gear set.

Mike