Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:35 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,721 Likes on 2,635 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonodsky
Replaced the shift tube bushings on the top of the steering column. Now the shifter feels as good as new. No more sloppyness.

The old bushings were toast. Installed the new ones with a little lithium white grease to keep them from drying out like the first ones.

Easy job, 20 minutes taking my time.

Cheers,
Jasonodsky
There was a post a while back (in this forum I believe) with all of the steering column parts that most of our Excursions will need to replace. Do you recall it?

Old 05-19-2023, 08:59 AM
rsqfxr
Tuned
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
There was a post a while back (in this forum I believe) with all of the steering column parts that most of our Excursions will need to replace. Do you recall it?

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-19-2023, 09:23 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 558 Likes on 429 Posts
installed a fuel sump and felt very lucky to find the prior owner(s) have already installed a Fuel Filter in front of the fuel pump

Old 05-20-2023, 03:31 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I pulled out a small tree and chain link fence that went around the side of my shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cliffordbigredford:
Old 05-20-2023, 06:29 PM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonm23
Edge makes a dash mount specific for the trucks/ Excursions of these years. Cleans up the look of the install IMHO.

Has anyone ever installed an EDGE monitor above the windshield rear-view mirror?
I would think that would be an ideal location.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:17 AM
MobyDick!
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Red Head

Installed a Red Head steering geer box. Getting the pitman arm off the old box was fun. Took about 6 hours. I may need an alignment now. My steering wheel isn't centered. Perhaps it was hiding in the slop. Had a "helper".

The following 5 users liked this post by MobyDick!:
Old 05-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by MobyDick!
Installed a Red Head steering geer box. Getting the pitman arm off the old box was fun. Took about 6 hours. I may need an alignment now. My steering wheel isn't centered. Perhaps it was hiding in the slop. Had a "helper".

Sure makes a difference. I just installed a ported blue top last month. The helpers always a benefit.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2023, 09:41 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Let us know if the slop totally goes away.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:56 AM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by ASFC27FTFBQ
Let us know if the slop totally goes away.
I'm pretty happy with how mine feels. I have yet to install the hydro-ram.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:47 PM
1css
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

She’s patting the truck. She knows a good truck when she sees one.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1css:
Old 05-21-2023, 02:30 PM
MobyDick!
5th Wheeling
Drove it today. Slop is completely gone. So much control. No binding with slow parking turns at all. Also (some may not agree due to stability issues being a potential) I disconnected both the front and rear sway bars. I have a helwig in the rear. Used to be jarring over every bump in the road. No longer. And it still drives straight down the road no wander. I do need an alignment due to the steering not being center. Assume it was hiding in the slop. Worth every penny! 6 hour job. Now it's time to fix the missing cat some meth head stole.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:35 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Drove it today. Slop is completely gone. So much control. No binding with slow parking turns at all. Also (some may not agree due to stability issues being a potential) I disconnected both the front and rear sway bars. I have a helwig in the rear. Used to be jarring over every bump in the road. No longer. And it still drives straight down the road no wander. I do need an alignment due to the steering not being center. Assume it was hiding in the slop. Worth every penny! 6 hour job. Now it's time to fix the missing cat some meth head stole.
I agree with the ride quality and no sway bars. I have the pro comp 22210 fronts and removed a leaf so it has a bit of body roll, but still nice to drive. The sway bar links just get destroyed off road. Better than my friends (According to him) stock 03 excursion.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:43 PM
MobyDick!
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Cliffordbigredford
I agree with the ride quality and no sway bars. I have the pro comp 22210 fronts and removed a leaf so it has a bit of body roll, but still nice to drive. The sway bar links just get destroyed off road. Better than my friends (According to him) stock 03 excursion.
I have the pro comp rear springs and bds up front. Upgraded the rear from a block setup. I just disconnected the sway bars. I might completely remove them after some time.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:54 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
I have the pro comp rear springs and bds up front. Upgraded the rear from a block setup. I just disconnected the sway bars. I might completely remove them after some time.
I would like to do that to the rear as well. Do you run a shackled traction bar? That's what I'm waiting for before I remove the block.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:02 PM
MobyDick!
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Cliffordbigredford
I would like to do that to the rear as well. Do you run a shackled traction bar? That's what I'm waiting for before I remove the block.
No traction bar. I was aiming for the pirate setup. Shimed the rear and have the springs and shims for up front but haven't installed them. I think the bds springs are just fine. Getting an alignment tomorrow to get numbers to determine if I need shims up front.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?