Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 07:53 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
What are your unhitched axle weights on the EX?
I did not weigh without.
Should I have?
Still learning.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:16 PM
WE3ZS
Received 865 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally Posted by ASFC27FTFBQ
I did not weigh without.
Should I have?
Still learning.

The traditional method is to get 3 weights at the truck scales, the additional passes over the scale are only about $2 each.
1. Truck and trailer with WD set like how you travel. Gives you the info you shared above.
2. Truck and trailer hitched up but with the WD tension released. Added info you use to figure the exact tongue weight.
3. Truck without trailer. Gives truck axle weights and the rest of the numbers needed to figure the tongue weight.

Your combo is a lot lighter than mine, and you have a deeper gear than mine. Are you pretty happy with how it tows?

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-27-2023, 10:43 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
The traditional method is to get 3 weights at the truck scales, the additional passes over the scale are only about $2 each.
1. Truck and trailer with WD set like how you travel. Gives you the info you shared above.
2. Truck and trailer hitched up but with the WD tension released. Added info you use to figure the exact tongue weight.
3. Truck without trailer. Gives truck axle weights and the rest of the numbers needed to figure the tongue weight.

Your combo is a lot lighter than mine, and you have a deeper gear than mine. Are you pretty happy with how it tows?
I used one of those Sherline tongue scales and it reads about 800 lbs. That was a reading I took last Fall. I’ll update that tomorrow.
The 28’, supposedly, has the heaviest tongue weight of any Airstream currently in production. Has something to do with the design.
Very happy with the way it tows. We came back from TN yesterday and we encountered the Appalachian Mountain Range. The Ex really felt solid. Very little body roll. The steering felt good, but touchy. A must is to keep the eyes focused well ahead of the vehicle in front of us.
I think the gear ratios are spot on. I feel that we compromised high-end speed for more grunt. When we travel on level road surface, I feel that we could go with fatter tires or bigger wheels/tires.
Then when we are chugging up hill, I feel like we could have gone with
The 4:88s.
I forgot to access our 5 Star 93 octane Performance Tow tune, so there is still more umph in the Ex to be unleashed.
Thanks to you and others on this forum for helping build this tow rig. Very happy with the way it turned out.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:04 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 339 Likes on 260 Posts
Maybe due to the compression ratio being lower, but i never felt any difference running the 93 octane tune, i tried it once, and then decided i couldn't feel any difference, definitely not one that warranted the extra fuel cost. Not saying 93 does not have its uses, but in the V10 with 9.2 compression, i just think there isn't really a benefit, now if someone built up a much higher compression build, like i wish i had done when i built mine, then sure.

I thought about going 9.8:1 or 10:1 but after talking with some people, notably the people i talked to were not mod motor guys, just performance guys in general, we decided maybe there was some reason the engines were built to only 9.2:1 and only bumped slightly, now i find out other people have done 10:1 after the fact, and its my one regret from the engine build, not bumping it more, but i still got really good power out of my build thankfully.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:01 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 155 Likes on 89 Posts
Since I bought this Excursion in mid July:
Put on set of new tires
Replaced missing rear cover on console
Replaced missing Tire Tools
Replaced weak Hood Struts
Replaced air filter, oil filter, oil, tranny fuel, and anti-freeze
Replaced Overflow tank
Replaced Rear axle speed sensor and cruise switch on master cylinder, Cruise Control started working after that.
Replaced all the door lock actuators, so all door locks work now.
Replaced battery
Replaced shift lever, which fixed the looseness.... somehow that fixed the damn ding ding warning for key in switch.
Replaced Rear shocks, front shocks look fairly new.
Replaced Barn Door actuator and cable on left door.
Replaced headlights... this EX was wrecked on front end, whomever replaced headlights, left out half the attachments, so they were falling out.
Repaired Courtesy lights on passenger step
Pulled out rear a/c fan housing, cleaned all the dirt out.
Added a Deflector on hood.

Today.... replace leaking intake , spark plugs, etc...

Ongoing.... trying to figure out how to stop exhaust noise.... I think someone took off resonator, so probably looking at replacing it

Still have a long list of to-do's !

Old 08-28-2023, 02:41 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 307 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by MoBill122
Since I bought this Excursion in mid July:
Put on set of new tires
Replaced missing rear cover on console
Replaced missing Tire Tools
Replaced weak Hood Struts
Replaced air filter, oil filter, oil, tranny fuel, and anti-freeze
Replaced Overflow tank
Replaced Rear axle speed sensor and cruise switch on master cylinder, Cruise Control started working after that.
Replaced all the door lock actuators, so all door locks work now.
Replaced battery
Replaced shift lever, which fixed the looseness.... somehow that fixed the damn ding ding warning for key in switch.
Replaced Rear shocks, front shocks look fairly new.
Replaced Barn Door actuator and cable on left door.
Replaced headlights... this EX was wrecked on front end, whomever replaced headlights, left out half the attachments, so they were falling out.
Repaired Courtesy lights on passenger step
Pulled out rear a/c fan housing, cleaned all the dirt out.
Added a Deflector on hood.

Today.... replace leaking intake , spark plugs, etc...

Ongoing.... trying to figure out how to stop exhaust noise.... I think someone took off resonator, so probably looking at replacing it

Still have a long list of to-do's !
I feel your pain....

Old 09-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Tbug05LTD
Tuned

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Installed new Kenwood Excelon DMX958XR stereo with Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Combined with the all new Kicker speakers 2 years ago its a really nice sound system. Surprised how loud it can go and still remain absolutely clear. Back up camera installed at the same time. Unfortunately, with a vehicle as old as ours, there's so many features that will go unused unless I swap it into a newer vehicle some day. Love having the hands free calling and voice texting.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tbug05LTD:
Old 09-01-2023, 05:36 PM
450kexcursion
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I ran into a dead truck at the airport at 1am in new york. It was 110 bucks for the jump. Which sucked but nothing else I could do. Fixed the battery wire today from the alternator to the battery sitting in the advanced auto parking lot. That sucked but 6 dollars vs a new alternator or batteries is much better on my wallet. I am headed to fl tonight with my 24 foot enclosed. We shall see how she does with all the new upgrades/fixes in the hpop and crossovers and fuel lines.injectors/ turbo/up-pipes and exhuast.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:53 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 501 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by 450kexcursion
I ran into a dead truck at the airport at 1am in new york. It was 110 bucks for the jump. Which sucked but nothing else I could do. Fixed the battery wire today from the alternator to the battery sitting in the advanced auto parking lot. That sucked but 6 dollars vs a new alternator or batteries is much better on my wallet. I am headed to fl tonight with my 24 foot enclosed. We shall see how she does with all the new upgrades/fixes in the hpop and crossovers and fuel lines.injectors/ turbo/up-pipes and exhuast.
Where are you headed to in Fl? Melbourne?

Old 09-01-2023, 07:08 PM
450kexcursion
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Where are you headed to in Fl? Melbourne?
Jacksonville.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:42 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Reached a milestone today...

The following 5 users liked this post by JSPEX:
Old 09-03-2023, 12:52 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by JSPEX
Reached a milestone today...

I would say so!
Be interested to know how many have gotten to that point.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:54 PM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
WOW ! That's Awesome. My 2000 7.3 is at 333489

Last edited by ford_model'a'; 09-03-2023 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 09-03-2023, 08:15 PM
JSPEX
Mountain Pass
Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Both my ex's are 2000 7.3 . The other one is at 390 something k and this one turned 500k today. Both original everything engine/transmission wise. I'm working on the next 500k now. If I continue at my current pace, sometime in 2046 I'll be posting a million miles pic : )

Old 09-05-2023, 06:48 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,721 Likes on 2,635 Posts
Originally Posted by JSPEX
Both my ex's are 2000 7.3 . The other one is at 390 something k and this one turned 500k today. Both original everything engine/transmission wise. I'm working on the next 500k now. If I continue at my current pace, sometime in 2046 I'll be posting a million miles pic : )
Grab a picture when the mileage hits 528000. Then tell folks (proudly) that your odometer is scaled to feet and it just hit 100 miles!

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?