Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 07:19 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogre20012001

I did that conversion using junk yard parts.
with the exception of the plastic pieces.
and new glass h4 housings.
Doesn't get much better than that!

Old 07-28-2023, 08:46 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Ogre20012001

I did that conversion using junk yard parts.
with the exception of the plastic pieces.
and new glass h4 housings.
Doesn't get much better than that!

Old 07-29-2023, 12:20 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 278 Likes on 198 Posts
What’s the appeal of the sealed beam headlights? I'm guessing cost because there are plenty of other options for more/ better light output over stock (LED, HID, Projector, etc.) . I suppose looks are subjective (the ole “eye of the beholder" type thing), but IMHO, the stock headlights look a lot better then the square sealed beam units.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:50 AM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
When it comes to replacement housings and bulbs, I feel there is a lot to consider. The quality of the reflector housing, the overall fit, their performance, and their cost. The original lamps made by Ford go through many channels of safety inspections, certifications, and government approval (not always a good thing). You're not going to find much of that from the online retailers, especially on a 23 year old vehicle. And that's where their price point comes in. In my original post the reason I went with what I did was price and appearance. I do prefer the sealed beams because of their look and performance. I could get a quality replacement almost anywhere and know they will have a perfect light output and pattern, and not melt my harness. You can't say that about aftermarket LED's and bulbs. The car has 9007/HB5 bulbs, changing that to a different bulb other than what came with the car can be asking for problems. It came down to the sealed beam swap was more than I could justify to spend. My lenses were so bad, though I rarely drive at night, I wanted to clean up the look. I still drive my wife and kids around in it occasionally, and wash it occasionally, and may even get a paint job. My family deserves it!

Old 07-29-2023, 11:39 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 278 Likes on 198 Posts
The OE headlight housings can be repaired in about two hours for cheap. I used a 3M kit , it requires a lot of sanding and polishing ,but the results are freaking amazing.

Here was after the first round of sanding (forgot to take a true before picture, but they were yellowed and nasty like you normally see)

And a little while later they looked like this.

Now every year when I renew the registration, I go over the headlights with one of these ( bought a box of these wipes off Amazon, enough to last a lifetime). They've stayed looking like new for the past three years or so parked outside in the Texas sun (dang excursion won't fit in the garge, so it lives outside all the time).

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-29-2023, 12:56 PM
Cliffordbigredford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Antonm23
The OE headlight housings can be repaired in about two hours for cheap. I used a 3M kit , it requires a lot of sanding and polishing ,but the results are freaking amazing.

Here was after the first round of sanding (forgot to take a true before picture, but they were yellowed and nasty like you normally see)

And a little while later they looked like this.

Now every year when I renew the registration, I go over the headlights with one of these ( bought a box of these wipes off Amazon, enough to last a lifetime). They've stayed looking like new for the past three years or so parked outside in the Texas sun (dang excursion won't fit in the garge, so it lives outside all the time).

That's cool! I haven't seen those wipes before. thanks for the tip!

Old 07-31-2023, 01:23 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts
Took this neat video during the thunderstorm tonight, excursion is prominently featured

The following 4 users liked this post by MasterX:
Old 07-31-2023, 10:36 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts
BTW, that is not photoshopped, that is just a gif export of the video when the lightning cooperated for the shot

Old 07-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Tuned

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

After two weeks of general maintenance which included oil change, new radiator/ hoses/ thermostat/ coolant, new transmission lines ( old ones were not leaking but severely corroded ) new power steering lines ( also corroded) air filter , cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the belt and replaced the idler pulley and replaced the rear bump stops.I also fixed the rear entertainment system so that the radio works in dual play again and the headphones are once again operational (Thank God) my wife and I headed down to Disney with the grandchildren.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:14 PM
WI Dan
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts
It's summer, it's sunny, it's hay-making season.
This load was not balanced well. Trailer is tall and heavy. With the bales on the tail, it started swaying badly. (The next load will have a ninth bale up front.)
Total weight with truck, trailer and load was 17,100.

The following 3 users liked this post by WI Dan:
Old 08-09-2023, 11:50 AM
kostkafex
Cross-Country
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Installed the Sleepy Pirate Design 2nd, 3rd, and cargo LED upgrade. It's like daytime in there now. Had to solder on the cargo and 3rd row center light due to the old festoon mounts breaking with the old lights. Easy install and fantastic output.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:49 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kostkafex
Installed the Sleepy Pirate Design 2nd, 3rd, and cargo LED upgrade. It's like daytime in there now. Had to solder on the cargo and 3rd row center light due to the old festoon mounts breaking with the old lights. Easy install and fantastic output.
Where did you get the LED upgrade from? Looks impressive!

Old 08-11-2023, 05:03 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't posted in a while..

Been messing with AC stuff on my X. Already replaced the dryer/accumulator, orifice tube, rear filter, expansion valve, vacuum pump, and heater bypass but wanted something to assist with the slow speeds. - this fan seems to help. And at only $50 and some time, I gave it a shot:

Old 08-13-2023, 04:25 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Just letting you know I'm still alive. I can't believe it's been 18 years with the EX and FTE, and FTE Excursion is STILL my home page.

Still maintaining my Excursion. I had to slow down for several months after I broke my back last year. But I'm finally back together and basically the same as before.

The following 9 users liked this post by housedad:
1css, AlaskanEx, BassFantasizer, DavenTn, ExxWhy, ford_model'a', gr8scott72, IMASAP, wpnaes and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:29 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
Haven't posted in a while..

Been messing with AC stuff on my X. Already replaced the dryer/accumulator, orifice tube, rear filter, expansion valve, vacuum pump, and heater bypass but wanted something to assist with the slow speeds. - this fan seems to help. And at only $50 and some time, I gave it a shot:
One thing I found is that the evaporator gets clogged with dust and dirt after a few years and it just won't flow well. I know mine has this problem, but I've been too lazy to take the dash off and clean it out. i really wishh they had designed the EX with cabin filters.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?