Cummins Conversion Update - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cummins Conversion Update

Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Cummins Conversion Update

Now that I'm back from vacation and most of the parts have shown up, I have been getting to work on the conversion a lot more. Mostly I've been working on it in the evenings after I get home from work.

So far, I've got the aftermarket valve springs installed, injectors pulled and sent off for and upgrade, installed a fuel bowl delete, and got the adapter plate & starter fitted up. I'm still waiting on headstuds, as they accidentally got shipped to the vendor instead of being drop shipped to me direct from ARP. They are on their way to me now.

Next up on the list is to get the new cam installed, which I'm going to try and have done by the weekend. An ATS exhaust manifold is on the way to me as well, and once it gets here I'll install it and the new turbo (which is here already, and it's really shiny). Hopefully by that time that's done, the headstuds will be here so I can get them installed and the injectors will not be far behind them. After injectors are in, I can finally start putting everything back together on the engine, like the rockers, valve cover, and a new intake horn.

Of course, there's still getting all the Ford sensors mounted on the engine so the dash gauges will work, hooking up the PCS controller for the trans, getting everything else wired up, and finalizing my fuel delivery. There's also the slight chance that I'll end up with dual CP3's before the engine goes in the truck as well.

Anyway, it's been pretty slow going but now I'm hitting it pretty hard. Here's the album where I'll be posting pictures as progress continues:
Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior User

TP83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
lookin good, can't wait to see it in the truck.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior User

dirty1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds awsome! I am happy to see that you can get more done now with all of the new parts. Good luck with the rest.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Post Fiend

Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Curious why you decided to swap the cam? I thought the stock cam was good enough for most high HP purposes?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
Curious why you decided to swap the cam? I thought the stock cam was good enough for most high HP purposes?
The cam swap is not about HP, it's more about driveability. The F1 Helix 2 cam that I'm putting in will give quicker spool, better throttle response, and lower EGT's. The stock cam is designed more for emissions, and I'm simply correcting that. However, with an increased lift and duration on both the intake and exhaust side, there will be some peak power gains, but that's just not the main reason I'm doing it.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
very nice Jaremy...glad to see she is going together good..should look sharp with all them shiny new parts..cant wait to hear her run...good luck to ya..looking forward to the updates as you go along......
Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Elder User

greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice work! Hope everything turns out Ok.. Is the truck ready for the motor yet, mounts ect.?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Thanks for the update and the new pics. Is it me, or does that turbo look kind of small? I'm not up on the 5.9, but I figured you'd be going after some ugly HP numbers so you'd want plenty of air.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Postmaster

03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.
sweet Jeremy!! thanks for the update. sounds like you got all your ducks in a line, hope all goes well!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedy737 View Post
Is the truck ready for the motor yet, mounts ect.?
There's really not much to do to the actual truck. The motor mounts will bolt up to the engine, then set the engine in place and from underneath, I'll drill through the steel plates of the custom mounts and bolt it in place. Those steel plates sit on the front crossmember and you use the stock motor mounting holes in the crossmember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Thanks for the update and the new pics. Is it me, or does that turbo look kind of small? I'm not up on the 5.9, but I figured you'd be going after some ugly HP numbers so you'd want plenty of air.
The turbos on the 5.9's are definately smaller than what the 7.3 can spin. What you're used to seeing as a moderately sized single charger on a 7.3 is pretty easily the larger charger on a 5.9's compound system.

I'm going after 600+ HP for the moment, and the charger I've got should do it. It won't like it at 600 HP, it's happier at 500-550, but it'll lay down 600 if I ask it to.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Post Fiend

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Jeremy,

Thanks for the update and pics. Like all I am looking forward to seeing it under the hood and hearing it run. Let's hope "Murphy's Law" stays clear of this project. Good luck, but I sure hope you don't need it.

That turbo is beautiful. When you said "shiny" you meant "SHINY"
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior User

jeffthralls is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the update. It's great to hear, I've been following your posts to see how things are going. Good luck and keep the pics coming!!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Nice pics. Too bad I ain't closer, would love to see how this goes in. Typical of a gearhead, eh?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold