6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Spotted Undergoing Testing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
huh? Just wait for the new motor to come out, mileage is supposed to be up

Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Passin Thru
Duramax for fuel mileage it is. Ford sux anymore. They could get it a lot higher I believe if they tried.
The Ford Trucks weigh more and have more frontal area, yet you expect them to get a lot more mileage? GM, Ford and Dodge all got hit hard in the mileage department with 07 emissions.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by a-rod
If you look close that front end is just kinda cobbled together for testing I guess, they either pushed the bumper out farther or brought the grill in more from the looks of where that hood latch is. That hood is ugly as heck, I hope thats just temporary.
Exactly. The article said it's a mule with the most important feature being the engine. MPG's sounds real good, HP/TQ #'s sound real but if the mule is an indication of the final design, then I'm very disappointed.

Tim

Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who is this "passin Thru" guy. Seems like each one of his posts are promoting duramax and trashing the Fords. What kind of BS is " my dmax will run circles around my OLD 7.3" I'm pretty certain the 7.3 powerstroke will run circles around the old Detroit that was in the GM truck before the D-max. I know the 6.0 powerstroke will run circles around the Detroits as well as the 1st gen D-max's. So what! Engine improvements come year after year..... as they should! Hell, my current TV is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, better than my previous one. That doesn't mean that Sony makes a POS! Get a clue "Passin Thru"!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 AM
strokinout
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A big problem is that, it was said before, Ford keeps changing their engines and both Dodge and Chevy have pretty much kept the same engine designs since the duramax came out and the cummins came out years and years ago. They've had plenty of time to work out bugs and improve their designs and if Ford would keep this engine for more than three years, it could be made to be a hell of an engine. They would have plenty of time to work out any possible bugs. I still want an I6! lol

Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
An 07 5.9 cummins is a lot different then an 89 5.9 Cummins. Sure the basic design is similar, but heads are different, pistons are different, injection systems different. The 6.4 PSD is pretty much a punched out 6.0, with different injection system. Ford has not really changed their engines all that much.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
strokinout
Senior User
I mean it's been a step by step process and little was changed at one time until recently when they went through having to figure out how tmeet emissions standards. The duramax changed very little and while the cummins might have had only a head change here and injector pump change there, Ford didn't change too much until 2003 and that's when things for the powerstroke got bad. Don't know if I'm getting across what I'm really trying to say here. By the way, does anyone know if the 6.4 has two or four bolts per cylinder in the head?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokinout
I mean it's been a step by step process and little was changed at one time until recently when they went through having to figure out how tmeet emissions standards. The duramax changed very little and while the cummins might have had only a head change here and injector pump change there, Ford didn't change too much until 2003 and that's when things for the powerstroke got bad. Don't know if I'm getting across what I'm really trying to say here. By the way, does anyone know if the 6.4 has two or four bolts per cylinder in the head?
Four bolts, just like the 6.0

Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
strokinout
Senior User
Do you know if they are the same maliable material? I'll be in the position to finally get a new Ford in October and am trying to figure out whether I should wait for the 6.7 or go ahead on the 6.4.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
4X4X4RV
Senior User
If I am out of line let me know...
I like how everyone says Ford changes this or Ford changes that or Ford is a piece S&*^. when they state Cummings not Dodge has not changed thier engines much, or Chevy, Izuzu which to Me is just like thier basic line 454.350 which really never changes thier basic design ( if it works use it ). After all We do have Internation to blame If we get down to it, As for Me I can't wait to see the new Ford Peugeot diesel truck engines, after they are doing quite well with thier smaller diesels ( research Fiesta diesel ) at a claimed 75 miles a gallon and eco green, until then I'm happy with my Ford/International and all it's quirks .......

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.0L could be a great engine. Whoever the idiot is that came up with the idea to use ten 10mm torque to yield head bolts per head on a forced induction compression ignition engine should be sentenced to 20 years of replacing head gaskets on those engines without the benefit of raising the body for access. And the high pressure oil pump and egr cooler could have been a better design also. The 6.4L engine is similar except the ten head bolts per head are 14mm torgue to yield instead of 10mm. Still not adequate. Both engines should have had standard head bolts or head studs originally. Would have saved Ford and Navistar both a ton of money. I also would have kept my 05 6.0L. I won't be buying another Ford diesel until I know for sure that Ford got it right.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I don't see any 6.4s blowing head gaskets yet because of stretched bolts, and they run quite a bit more boost them 6.0s as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's because they've increased the size of the bolt. But it's still a torque to yield bolt. Eventually they will stretch and fail. It just won't happen until the warranty has expired. Torque to yield head bolts have no place being installed on a forced induction compression ignition engine with 17.5:1 compression. That tells everyone that the stockholder is more valuable to the companies than the customer is. When the auto industry gets it's priorities in order and begins looking out for the customer instead of the shareholder first as Henry Ford's business model did, they will again see prosperity and great profits. If they don't put the customer first, then even Ford will see their ecomonic fortunes in ruin like GM and Chrysler. And we will again see great trucks and cars if they put us, the customer, first. And in case anyone doubts that Ford values the stockholder more than its cutomers, why is a F-250 that has far more capability than an f150 only a few hundred dollars more than that comparably equipped f150? Why did the price of the vehicles built in Mexico have the same sticker price as before production was shipped to Mexico? And why should I have to spend another $2500 to $4500 to make an engine that I've already paid a hefty premium to have ($5000-$7000) live a long life like they are supposed to? I must see evidence that Ford is putting the customer first before I'll by another new truck or car. That means building a product that does not need major repairs in the 1st 100K miles at an affordable price. It also means that it shouldn't cost $500 to have a new heater core installed or $200 labor for a tune up. I shouldn't have a spark plug break off when changing them. I shouldn't have a HPOP or EGR cooler go bad before 150K miles. I also shouldn't see a wheel bearing failure before 200K miles. Are you listening, Ford?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greg B
That's because they've increased the size of the bolt. But it's still a torque to yield bolt. Eventually they will stretch and fail. It just won't happen until the warranty has expired. Torque to yield head bolts have no place being installed on a forced induction compression ignition engine with 17.5:1 compression. That tells everyone that the stockholder is more valuable to the companies than the customer is. When the auto industry gets it's priorities in order and begins looking out for the customer instead of the shareholder first as Henry Ford's business model did, they will again see prosperity and great profits. If they don't put the customer first, then even Ford will see their ecomonic fortunes in ruin like GM and Chrysler. And we will again see great trucks and cars if they put us, the customer, first. And in case anyone doubts that Ford values the stockholder more than its cutomers, why is a F-250 that has far more capability than an f150 only a few hundred dollars more than that comparably equipped f150? Why did the price of the vehicles built in Mexico have the same sticker price as before production was shipped to Mexico? And why should I have to spend another $2500 to $4500 to make an engine that I've already paid a hefty premium to have ($5000-$7000) live a long life like they are supposed to? I must see evidence that Ford is putting the customer first before I'll by another new truck or car. That means building a product that does not need major repairs in the 1st 100K miles at an affordable price. It also means that it shouldn't cost $500 to have a new heater core installed or $200 labor for a tune up. I shouldn't have a spark plug break off when changing them. I shouldn't have a HPOP or EGR cooler go bad before 150K miles. I also shouldn't see a wheel bearing failure before 200K miles. Are you listening, Ford?
I get your point and it's a good one at that, but realize that Ford is changing their ways. Also keep in mind that Ford and every other auto maker is running a business.

With that said, your sign off should of read "Are you listening, entire auto industry?" They're all guilty of it.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The failure rate in Ford's diesel program has grown exponentially over the past fews years. It's supposed to get better and more reliable as technology increases. I want a Ford diesel truck really, really bad, but I'm very,very afraid to buy one. There's no proof that the new 6.7L will be any better.

Tim

Quick Reply: 6.7 Spotted Undergoing Testing.