Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Spotted Undergoing Testing.

 
  #61  
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Lead Head
Lead Head is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,857
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Number of cylinders does not mean how refined an engine is. You can't say that a loud, crude running 7.3L V8, is more refined then the quiet smooth running Cummins 6.7?

Plus, it wouldn't be cost effective for a manufacturer to have TWO different diesel engines in the same truck, not to mention a whole new engine would have to be developed as well.
 
  #62  
Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
"Originally Posted by IHpuller450
you know what i think would be really nice? an option with ford and navistar to pick between a V-8 and an I-6 when you order your truck."

Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
If they did that, do you really think they would sell any V-8's?

Absolutely, they sell lots of medium trucks and buses with the V8 and many people prefer them.
Stand within 3 feet of an idling DT466/MaxxForceDT and try it beside a 6.4/Maxxforce 7, unless you desire noise and vibration many would very likely choose the V8.
 
  #63  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
herman391's Avatar
herman391
herman391 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Leamington, Ontario
Posts: 1,288
herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
True, but what is the percentage of people who buy the trucks for the "V8 Diesel" compared to the true enthusiasts who know which is the better engine?
 
  #64  
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by herman391 View Post
True, but what is the percentage of people who buy the trucks for the "V8 Diesel" compared to the true enthusiasts who know which is the better engine?

Last time I checked it was 73.6%
 
  #65  
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 PM
BigF350a
BigF350a is offline
New User
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Britsh Columbia Canada
Posts: 24
BigF350a is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by IHpuller450 View Post
In my opinion Ford has made a giant mistake dropping navistar. Now we may end up with years and years of diesel engine problems because ford is just now making its own diesels for this application, yes i know that they produce other size diesels, but hasnt it been proven that the only reason that the 6.0 had trouble was because ford refused to use the electronic specifications Navistar recomended. now im a ford fan and an IH fan and it just breaks my heart that we are loosing the best combination of diesel truck/engine suppliers

--just my two cents.
It's not just the electronic specifications, Head Gaskets,Not enough clamping force from the head bolts. To much stretch. How about egr coolers leaking,oil coolers leaking. Turbos sticking, ect ect ect.. I love fords I work on them all the time. But Navistar made a big mistake when they released this engine. And because of that us Ford Guys have been taking a beating for to long..
 
  #66  
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
mnmwhit's Avatar
mnmwhit
mnmwhit is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Pole Alaska
Posts: 983
mnmwhit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I LOVE MY POWERSTROKE

And its not quiet.
 
  #67  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
IHpuller450's Avatar
IHpuller450
IHpuller450 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 58
IHpuller450 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by BigF350 View Post
It's not just the electronic specifications, Head Gaskets,Not enough clamping force from the head bolts. To much stretch. How about egr coolers leaking,oil coolers leaking. Turbos sticking, ect ect ect.. I love fords I work on them all the time. But Navistar made a big mistake when they released this engine. And because of that us Ford Guys have been taking a beating for to long..

Yes i agree with you here but wouldnt international design an engine that would work with its electronics, i refuse to belive that they would put an engine into production that wasnt tested to their specifications. also these new diesel engines are all electronicly run, you say turbos sticking well isnt this turbo an electronic varibling turbo? and if the electronics werent correct wouldnt that cause it to stick? i agree with you about the head bolts and the oil coolers, but i dont belive that the entire problem is international or fords fault. and i do know that we have been taking a beating i get razzed by penndot mechanics all the time about them having breakdowns with their 6.0's this problem needs to be fixed and i hope ford and IH work out their diffrences and realize that it is in their best intrest to stay together
 
  #68  
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM
rollerstud98's Avatar
rollerstud98
rollerstud98 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 4,745
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
Turbos sticking is due to either not enough use of the vehicle or exhaust coking on the variable veins, which is just a poor turbo design, international is having the same problems the fords are as far as the head gaskets popping, injectors going out turbos sticking, egrs sticking and failing egr and oil coolers failing, its sad that the design is so flawed, when running good the 6.0's are fantastic powerplants
 
  #69  
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
FordxFour
FordxFour is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Apex, N.C.
Posts: 2,413
FordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to behold
Comparing the DT466 to the V-8 is comparing apples to oranges. The v-8 is the base motor the DT is the optional motor. The DT is substantially more I might add.
 
  #70  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 AM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FordxFour View Post
Comparing the DT466 to the V-8 is comparing apples to oranges. The v-8 is the base motor the DT is the optional motor. The DT is substantially more I might add.
It was a comparison between the currently available, comparable V8 and inline 6 from Navistar, as the prior poster asserted no one would choose a V8 given a choice and was alluding to a Ford/Navistar alliance.
We have both in similar sized units so I consider it a fair comparison, the 2 engines are available in several similar power ranges, and in many of the same trucks. The DT is about a $1800-$2,000 up charge but whats that on a $60,000-$80,000 truck?
 
  #71  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Lead Head
Lead Head is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,857
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
For what its worth, almost every one of my school buses has a T444E, and very few have the DT466.
 
  #72  
Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM
herman391's Avatar
herman391
herman391 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Leamington, Ontario
Posts: 1,288
herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by origcharger View Post
It was a comparison between the currently available, comparable V8 and inline 6 from Navistar, as the prior poster asserted no one would choose a V8 given a choice and was alluding to a Ford/Navistar alliance.
We have both in similar sized units so I consider it a fair comparison, the 2 engines are available in several similar power ranges, and in many of the same trucks. The DT is about a $1800-$2,000 up charge but whats that on a $60,000-$80,000 truck?

It's about $1800-$2000 on a $60,000-$80,000 truck.




Sorry I couldn't help myself on that one
 
  #73  
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by herman391 View Post
It's about $1800-$2000 on a $60,000-$80,000 truck.




Sorry I couldn't help myself on that one

 
  #74  
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
FordxFour
FordxFour is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Apex, N.C.
Posts: 2,413
FordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to beholdFordxFour is a splendid one to behold
When I bought my 03' the DT466 was about a $4500.00 upgrade, must be a regional thing I guess. Also the reason you see so many of the V-8's in buses and trucks belonging municipalities and school etc, is vendors bid to provide vehicles for a set price from different manufactures so they can't really stipulate specs for all different models. Most of the Big Wigs that procure vehicles don't Know anything about ordering buses/trucks anyway. They Just want what is the cheapest. No Doubt both are good engines, but around here most in the private sector just prefer to have the DT in a medium duty truck that is loaded most of the time to the Max GVWR. IMHO...
 
  #75  
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 AM
origcharger
origcharger is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,096
origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FordxFour View Post
When I bought my 03' the DT466 was about a $4500.00 upgrade, must be a regional thing I guess. Also the reason you see so many of the V-8's in buses and trucks belonging municipalities and school etc, is vendors bid to provide vehicles for a set price from different manufactures so they can't really stipulate specs for all different models. Most of the Big Wigs that procure vehicles don't Know anything about ordering buses/trucks anyway. They Just want what is the cheapest. No Doubt both are good engines, but around here most in the private sector just prefer to have the DT in a medium duty truck that is loaded most of the time to the Max GVWR. IMHO...
We could buy either but choose the V8s becuase they do just as good of job for us, don't have a doghouse that intrudes into drivers area and have less mirror shake at idle. The 6.4 /MaxxForce 7 has all those advantages plus its much quieter. We buy the DTs in front engine transit style buses because its the only choice.
If you compare the prices of the engines with identical power ratings I don't believe the differance is over $2,000.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 Spotted Undergoing Testing.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: