1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike did you have the truck forward or backward on the tow dolly.I ask because I own a dolly and recently had to tow my plow truck.The plow frame prevented me from putting the truck front first.Weight on the dolly.I towed it backward,Got up to speed and the same thing happened.It swayed uncontrollably.Had to keep it under 45MPH.I believe the reason for this is the weight of the truck was trying to climb up onto the dolly,If that makes sense.I think that the majority of the weight has to be on the dolly.Just wondering if this is what happened to you.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Sorry to hear about your truck Jeremy. Hopfully everything will work out for you, keep us informed on the progress.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There must be a trick to joining the road help network that I am too simple minded to figure out. Just got another attempt kicked back to me by Daemon.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dryfly
Mike did you have the truck forward or backward on the tow dolly.I ask because I own a dolly and recently had to tow my plow truck.The plow frame prevented me from putting the truck front first.Weight on the dolly.I towed it backward,Got up to speed and the same thing happened.It swayed uncontrollably.Had to keep it under 45MPH.I believe the reason for this is the weight of the truck was trying to climb up onto the dolly,If that makes sense.I think that the majority of the weight has to be on the dolly.Just wondering if this is what happened to you.
Forward Bruce. Read more in the rep point thread.

Mark, stop trying. I will try to contact Alan. You are not the only one having trouble.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Jeremy, I thought you moved to Georgia man.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Forward Bruce. Read more in the rep point thread.

Mark, stop trying. I will try to contact Alan. You are not the only one having trouble.
Mike, if you get a chance, drop my name, I have been trying to get through, and keep getting bounced as well.
Thank you in advance.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by clux
Sorry for getting off topic, but that is damn funny Gene. I'll bet you didn't feel guilty as you drove away from your ex.
We meet while I was in grad school and she an undergrad, and we kind of just grew apart with separate interests, etc... There were no kids, but I must've felt some guilt because I inherited all the debt, while she got the 240 Z!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Markadeck
A little off topic, but not far. I threw a rod on my Cat at exit 62 northbound I-77 in VA at midnight one winter night. So I know all about the dismay. I left a spot of oil 7 gallons big right there that remained for years. I spent the night on the exit ramp with a cell phone that had no service until I climbed the nearest hill at daylight. Fortunetely the generator still worked so we did not freeze to death. Got towed to exit 1 in WV to the tune of 300 bucks and 2 months later and $15,886.32 and 2 months later I had it back with a brandnew 3208. Let me tell you, that's something you never forget.
Well, reading about CAT's that throw rods certainly isn't off topic for me, having just traded my trusty old PSD + $$ for a used M-2 106 with a CAT C7, and the 7 gals of oil really got my attention since that's what mine holds. Now I'm getting nervous about trying a pressure box to increase the ICP and get another 30 HP and 140 lb-ft of TQ! I'm also wondering how much cash reserve is required to replace my engine, like you had to do?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I was screwed and they knew it. I was in Bluefield, WV, or that is where I was towed to. I was on my way to Buffalo when it happened and had to get there so I just rented a car and continuted my trip. Told them to replace the motor and call me when it was done. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of 10k, so I was a little shocked. They had me by the short hairs and knew it. It will not happen again.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as I love the 7.3... If I pop another one... 5.9 is going back in. Sorry to hear it and like I said elsewhere... It makes me nervious at 460...

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Jeremy, I was shocked(to say the least) when Mike called me Sunday, we were another 150 miles away from yall and no easy way to get there.

If you need someone to blame for the motor letting go, blame me, I pushed you to roll the drums on sat. Sorry.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
Mike Tenn01PSD350 You da Man! You didn't even help me, and I want say thanks! My question is, did you guys see like a billion SuperDuty's heading up the road away from Smokin' ? Did others stop to help? I would have!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
powerstroke1869
Elder User
hey man sorry to hear bout the truck but ill be sticking around to hear what your going to be doing next ill be waiting

Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Uptade a few things here. Spoke with Jody today and he seems to think that it may be PMRs, based on the damage I described, even though my truck was made before the cutoff date. He's seen '99 trucks with PMR's in them and I guess Ford put a few sets out there for testing before '01. I'm going to try and find out this evening for sure what rods are in that motor.

Originally Posted by Orezona
Jeremy, I thought you moved to Georgia man.
I was supposed to, but the whole thing fell apart earlier this year, so I'm staying here in MO.

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
If you need someone to blame for the motor letting go, blame me, I pushed you to roll the drums on sat. Sorry.
No way would I blame anyone. Ultimately, it was my decision to do it. Like I said earlier, I wanted to find out anyway and what broke would have done it sooner or later.

Originally Posted by CSIPSD
As much as I love the 7.3... If I pop another one... 5.9 is going back in. Sorry to hear it and like I said elsewhere... It makes me nervious at 460...
After talking with some people today, I'm at 90% leaning that way. I've got some feelers out and it's mostly going to depend on price and availibility of a CR 5.9.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Atleast he had a resourceful man like Mike around to take care of him. Bob there really wasn't that many SDs there we were out numbered by the Dodges but they would have stopped and helped, where they broke down they were a few hours from Gatlinburg..

Quick Reply: Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.