1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
EDIT... It just occurred to me that my 9 year relationship with my PSD lasted 2 years longer than my first marriage, so I guess that PSD was putting out pretty good after all, but never as good as 435 HP!
Sorry for getting off topic, but that is damn funny Gene. I'll bet you didn't feel guilty as you drove away from your ex.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeremy, (a moment of silence for the departed). An engine coming apart has to be one of the worst sounds to hear especially after the weekend that you just had. Sorry to hear it ended that way. But 7.3 owners stick together. Way to go, Mike!

Just for information on parts, Ford (or International) no longer makes new 7.3 blocks. So, unless you could find one sitting around somewhere, you would have to use a used one to rebuild. I know this doesn't affect you but Ford no longer makes the transmission case for the 4R100 either.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The true friend here was Jeff. He was the one that dropped what he was doing and got a trailer, then began a long ride from Missouri to go help his friend in need. That is a true friend indeed, and says something about Jeremy right there to have friends like that.

I did what any one of you guys would have done. First thing, get him off the interstate. Then get him closer to home. If I had a flatbed or access to one, things would have been a lot simpler. Thanks for all the reps everyone but not really necessary.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
TN97STROKE
Senior User
I have been thinking of something (this has been a good example) I think it would be a good idea if we had some sort of contact list in case of a problem when we are out on the road. You would only be a contact if you choose to be. Then you could print out contacts for the route you are taking. I was not very far from were you broke down. I could have gotten you a trailer and off the road. I even had a place to store your truck until you could have made plans to pick it up (I know it would be hard to leave my truck behind) but I would have taken care of it as if was mine and I am sure anybody on here would do the same. I am sorry you had trouble here in the great sate of Tennessee but if there had be away of contacting other members I am sure You would have had more help than you wanted. Good Luck with the fix.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
GregN
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eBay Motors: 01 7.3l powerstroke engine Ford Motor 444 International (item 300212710491 end time Apr-07-08 17:03:57 PDT)

I found this on eBay. I don't know if it is a good deal or not, but worth a shot if you aren't going with a Cummins. Sorry to hear about the horrible drive home. That is always my biggest fear.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I have been thinking of something (this has been a good example) I think it would be a good idea if we had some sort of contact list in case of a problem when we are out on the road.
We have that. Have a look here and sign up for the roadside help network. I have it on good authority that I was the closest.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
A little off topic, but not far. I threw a rod on my Cat at exit 62 northbound I-77 in VA at midnight one winter night. So I know all about the dismay. I left a spot of oil 7 gallons big right there that remained for years. I spent the night on the exit ramp with a cell phone that had no service until I climbed the nearest hill at daylight. Fortunetely the generator still worked so we did not freeze to death. Got towed to exit 1 in WV to the tune of 300 bucks and 2 months later and $15,886.32 and 2 months later I had it back with a brandnew 3208. Let me tell you, that's something you never forget.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TN97STROKE
I have been thinking of something (this has been a good example) I think it would be a good idea if we had some sort of contact list in case of a problem when we are out on the road. You would only be a contact if you choose to be. Then you could print out contacts for the route you are taking. I was not very far from were you broke down. I could have gotten you a trailer and off the road. I even had a place to store your truck until you could have made plans to pick it up (I know it would be hard to leave my truck behind) but I would have taken care of it as if was mine and I am sure anybody on here would do the same. I am sorry you had trouble here in the great sate of Tennessee but if there had be away of contacting other members I am sure You would have had more help than you wanted. Good Luck with the fix.
You are exactly right! The roadside help network link in my sig will lead you there

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Gene, I've got a way to at least get around town, so when you make it through Columbia, we can still meet up. The truck won't be running by then though, I can tell you that for sure.

Diane, you'll hear from me soon. I needed to talk to you or Jody anyway.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap, went to work last night after reading what a great time all of you guys had and really wishing I could have got there to see you guys. Then I wake up and read this. Jeremy, that makes me sick. Never heard a 7.3 turn loose, but have heard my share of 2 stroke boat motors turn loose (a few of my own) and nothing sounds worse than a 250 hp break three weeks after the warranty ran out. I know you will make the best out of this and glad Mike (reps when I can) and others were there to help you out. At least you got to enjoy most of weekend.
Another plug for the Road Side Help Network. If you guys travel, you need your name on the list. I know I will call you if I need help and if you don't call me, it's your fault.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
"Jeremy's Truck, an F350, a truck barely workable. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic truck. Jeremy's truck will be that truck. Better than it was before. Better. Stronger. Faster."

Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
dryfly
Elder User
Wow,sorry to hear the bad news.Thats gotta suk in any event but especially after a greatweekend with the dino.Good luck on your new motor.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Just tried to join the roadside help network and the e-mail got kicked back to me?????

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Just tried to join the roadside help network and the e-mail got kicked back to me?????
I just tried to log in, and it won't let me. I think there is a problem with the site right now.....

Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
I just logged in and it worked. Luckily I remembered my username and password.

Edit: You have to have at least 200 posts on a forum or be recommended by a member to get membership. If anyone needs the recommendation, let us know and we will cover you.

Quick Reply: Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.