1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's a lot of broken pieces..thanks for sharing the pic's..have you decided on where your going from here???

Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, you got that torn down quick. Ive been thinking about this alot, wondering when you would get it out. Thats some real horrible looking carnage! Maybe the same thing that happened to Joey Terminator when his engine blew up, a bad rod. Maybe you got plagued with that too.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMFG that just makes me wanna puke Jeremy. That's rough man i feel for you. I hope you get everything worked out on that. Keep us posted step by step

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 AM
jeffthralls
Senior User
Jeremy, those pics make me ill. Sorry to see all of this happen to you. I love my 7.3 but I am impressed with my friends 5.9. Tough choice to make, good luck with it!!!

Jeff

Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Jeremy, is it possible to see any color variation in the cross section of the rod? Wondering if maybe a flaw when forged. Interesting the damage done to the camshaft.

I know that pictures don't tell the whole story but they sure make the engine removal look somewhat easy. Good job on the pics.

Any ideas on what would have caused the pistons to crack like they did and so many of them? It appeares to be a clean crack, not a melt, so could the pistons possibly have flexed?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
From the looks of it there was too much power given to all the components.
I vote destroking if you want big HP.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM
jrciii56
Elder User
I guess I will be just like everyone else. HOLY CRAP!! That looks pretty bad. But if there is a bright spot, you will be building a better and stronger engine than before. I know that you are leaning towards a cummins. I dont have to tell you that you are making a wise decision with the cummins. Cummins makes the best motor out there bar none and that even includes our 7.3's. The only problem with a cummins is that is has been wrapped around by a piece crap for so many years. I do feel however that the new Dodges are a much better truck than the early models. Just think you are going to have the best truck and the best motor and the best tranny(BTS) that money can buy. I cant wait to see your truck with a cummins in it. Oh yeah. You can get some great money at a scrap yard for your block. They are paying a premium for scrap now. Just a little hit on how to get some of that money back. Call or PM me if you are going to sell any of your old stuff. I have to get back to work now. see Ya and good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I said it before, I'll say it again, Damn that sucks!!! I wish I could do more for ya.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Remember talk about your oil having some metal shavings in it some time last year? I would bet that some of what you saw is from this piston right here. Those scratches look like they have been there for a little while.

IMG_2717 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
IF there is any consolation from this, look at it your truck didn't want you spending so expensive fuel on it when you could be driving the jeep. Fuel prices should be a little lower by the time you get it back running again. Is that one youre talking about the black jeep that the parts are setting on?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too hope it wasn't just the weekend at smokin that did this. It would make me feel alot better to know it was a combonation of the two.

Best of luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
I can say one thing, i bet his truck would be still running IF he hadn't driven down there. Not that it's a lesson for everyone else to not push their trucks, but his #1 rod was probably a little chueco from the factory and pushed it just a wee bit too far. I wonder if the rod bent and then snapped, typical of forged rods, or did the center just shatter out like a PMR Rod would? I'm trying to blow mine up now, but with the fuel costs it's not too easy to feel good about it, plus i probably don't have enough HP to mess anything up.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
I can say one thing, i bet his truck would be still running IF he hadn't driven down there. Not that it's a lesson for everyone else to not push their trucks, but his #1 rod was probably a little chueco from the factory and pushed it just a wee bit too far. I wonder if the rod bent and then snapped, typical of forged rods, or did the center just shatter out like a PMR Rod would? I'm trying to blow mine up now, but with the fuel costs it's not too easy to feel good about it, plus i probably don't have enough HP to mess anything up.
Why would you intentionally try to blow your motor? I know you've been wanting to de-stroke, so why not just get it over with and sell your motor to help offset the cost of destroking?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
I'm trying to blow mine up now...
I've read that like 6 times and am still trying to figure out 2 things:

1) WHY?????
2) How a 17/18yr old has the coin to throw at a truck like you do.

Do us a favor and just donate your engine to Jeremy instead, OK?

Congrats on having the money to burn, but .... wow.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by papadelogan
I've read that like 6 times and am still trying to figure out 2 things:

1) WHY?????
2) How a 17/18yr old has the coin to throw at a truck like you do.

Do us a favor and just donate your engine to Jeremy instead, OK?

Congrats on having the money to burn, but .... wow.
Thank you, one of these questions I've wanted the answer to for several years, y'all figure out which one.

Quick Reply: Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.