1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeremy,

Was that hp and tq at the real wheels? That's a lot of power! I also hear the PMR's rolled out mid '01. If that's true, you had the forged rods.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Here's the pic of how Mike was towing me. Thanks again Mike for the help.

Rep points aren't much in the way of a thank you. But I repped Mike anyways.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just wondering, did you all PUSH it onto that trailer, or did you drive it on? I know when Kenny boggerr blew his, he managed to drive it on. What wasnt destroyed ended up being destroyed but it was all coming out anyway, so he managed to do it.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stomach dropped when I got that call Jeremy, I am so sorry our trailer was down as far as I knew up there it was ready to go. I am glad you all made it up to meet Jeff safetly, glad Jeff came out to meet you half way and tow you the rest of the way. As they always say Jeremy its time to make it Bigger, Better, and Stronger. I cannot wait to see you back at Smokin next year, it was nice to meet you and hang out at the Camp FTE.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Wow, my condolences.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Eugene, yes, that's at the rear wheels. I know I should have forged rods. I guess I'm just looking for answers and possibilities. My hunch is that it's a piston that broke and let the rod go. What could have caused the piston to fail...many possibilites. Something as simple as a missing oil jet could have let the piston overhead, which could go right along with the LPOP issues that Scott mentioned. Again though, it's all speculation at this point until I start tearing the engine down.

Mike deserves lots of reps. He saved my tail for sure. Without him, I would have been sitting on the shoulder of the interstate for several hours.

Kris, we used Mikes truck and some chains to pull it up on the trailer. I tried to start it, and it does crank (makes lots of noise though), but not fire. I suspect there was not enough oil to run the injectors anyway. The engine shut off on its own before I stopped rolling.

JD, I appreciate you trying. You did what you could, and that's all I can ask.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uuuggggghhhhhh.

Myself and a friend of mine were heading on a trip last summer when his 7.3 let a rod go. Not even my truck but the feeling in my gut was sickening.

Real sorry to hear the news, Jeremy.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
Rep points aren't much in the way of a thank you. But I repped Mike anyways.
I agree cookie I did the same

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, Apparently I have to spread it around before repping you again. That is one hell of a service to a friend and fellow FTEr. Great job to everyone involved in helping.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
This whole thing just sux. Jeremy I'm really sorry for your ordeal. Mike, you're a good man. Not like we ever doubted that. I bet Jeremy owes you a couple 12 packs of bottles!

Obviously, none of my bs can make Jeremy's probs any better. But I hope it works out for you dude.

I'd blame all the beer drinkers that talked you into getting on the rollers!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Jason, I don't blame anyone. Ultimately, if I didn't want to get on the rollers, I wouldn't have. I was curious though, and did want to see where the HP level was. Jody also told me my tuning was pretty conservative, so after that I didn't have a concern.

One thing about it, whatever broke was going to break eventually. Nothing I did this past weekend would have made any difference as to whether it broke or not.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Orezona

I'd blame all the beer drinkers that talked you into getting on the rollers!
Jason, don't think we hadn't thought of that. We were feeling bad.

I have to say though, I have been on them twice and feel that the dyno is not as hard on the truck as I am on it on the drag strip, or acting like an idiot on the street. The dyno is so much smoother and seems easier on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Jeremy, JD called and told me about this yesterday and asked me if I knew of any wreckers in that area, which unfortunatly I did not. This really sucks though and I hope you get it straightened out. I really wish I would've made it up to Smokin' this year, but I look forward to meeting you all next year.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Jason, I don't blame anyone. Ultimately, if I didn't want to get on the rollers, I wouldn't have. I was curious though, and did want to see where the HP level was. Jody also told me my tuning was pretty conservative, so after that I didn't have a concern.

One thing about it, whatever broke was going to break eventually. Nothing I did this past weekend would have made any difference as to whether it broke or not.
I was just kidding man. Stupid attempt of trying to make light hearted of your ordeal.

But I was serious when I said I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 PM
yellow401
Elder User
On a side note Jeremy, at least you don't have a lady saying..... "See, I told you...what a waste of money!...now what?...look how much time you wasted on that truck...you could have bought me a ring with all that money...now your going to do it again!...don't you ever learn"... yada yada....

Just some of what I get to listen to with the little I throw at my truck and the problems I run into. Something to be greatful for...

Quick Reply: Well fellas, she's done. Engine threw a rod this weekend.