Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Caved

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I just read my real name in print on the web...very impressive-thanks - toreador_diesel...
Yes I have a 6 inch fabtech lift. Just passed up the chance to increase a couple more inches and 38" tires. I paid about 950 for the lift, 500 to install it and 600 for tires and 100 for lights. Total paid was about 2250 but I kept stock rims.

That was about 30000 miles ago. No issues and very little MPG loss. Last 2 tanks combined (1100 miles) averaged over 14 mpg. About 600 was road miles and rest in town. I guess she is getting broke in.

I really wanted to increase her altitude, and attitude but same shop that did first part said it would never ride as it does. Vibrations and tire wear would increase dramatically. They actually said they would not install spring spacers for me. I wanted cut out fender flares and 1.5" spacers and a rear add a leaf. No can do with the spacers. I think it has to do with the 6" lift as others without lift have not had issues.

she rides perfect and GPS showed over 100mph on a couple occasions. First time was his gps and a bet for $100. He said no ford truck w/o chip would break 100, I did 102 on HIS gps. Then I eplained the tire change issue. My gain. With close to 30K on the tires, I am in the market for more. I want bigger and think I can get cut out bushwacker flares and 37s.

I enjoy this board and the info, but high point was reading my real name today. As close to SUPERSTAR as I will get.

Adam

Old 07-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Glad I could immortalize your name on the boards!

From what I'm reading I guess I don't have too much to worry about.

Another question comes to mind though:

With your 35's, did you have to cut anything out to properly fit them lock to lock?

The lift gets here tomorrow and tires may be on same day if not the next, so I'm just a little anxious. Any other final suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35 fit with very slight rub at full lock only if you use stock rims. Lift recommends wheels with an additional 3/8-1/2 inch backspacing. I bought 1/4 wheel spacers which really made it better. If you are going 305s, then you will be close to me with spacers. 305 are numerically(who knows the difference mounted) about 1/2 inch narrower than 315. But it is at full lock, and that additional 1/4 of steering wheel movement is useless anyway. I cant make a uturn for crap.

Other thing to watch out for is the rear blocks. Most companies include 4 inch rear blocks but the front of an X is not that much lower and 4 inch blocks make the front sit about 1 inch high. If you have that drop, you are fine. The issue with waiting and seeing is that you throw away the u-bolts after tightening them ($50-75) Most shops will just trade you 4 inch blocks for 6 inch blocks and give credit on the U-bolts for a marginal increase in cost. I have a 6 inch block for $50 after argument.

Good luck and post pics

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Well I get my tires either today or wednesday so we'll see what happens. But I have a feeling I may have to order some spacers....

As far as the blocks are concerned, I really hope they got it right. As I said before, something just doesn't add up, so I'll probably have to send off for them or make a drive.

With most of the lift being installed today, I've started to think about some of my steering components. My steering has been a little loose for awhile now and I need some suggestions on what I need/should replace seeing as I'm working on the front anyhow. What would cause my steering to be so loose?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When do you think that lift will be done? Dont forget the pics

Old 07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
When do you think that lift will be done? Dont forget the pics
Probably tonight or early wednesday morning. Definately not gonna forget the pics; it just wouldn't be right without them.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
If it gets down tomorow, thatd b a good forth of July gift

Old 07-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
If it gets down tomorow, thatd b a good forth of July gift
It definately would, but it's not.

My buddy got tied up with a couple other projects and I've got a 2-week business trip starting friday; so it's not going on anytime soon. Man am I pissed! I was really trying to squeeze this in before I left, but now I have to wait about 2 and a half weeks before we even start working on it.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
dang that sucks, i really wanted to see how it looked.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
We have to wake two weeks so we can see what she looks like?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
We have to wake two weeks so we can see what she looks like?
Nope, the parts for the lift are still sitting in the back of my truck and have to go in my garage or somewhere meanwhile. Once I get back from the trip (I think the 23rd), then I'll have to plan from there. As I said, I was REALLY trying to squeeze the lift in before I left, but some projects my buddy was working on took him longer than he expected. So no-go for me. He was just as pissed and wanted to see this as bad as you, myself, and the rest of us did. But once it's done, there WILL be pics; not just a few but many.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
I would try to avoid lift blocks as much as possible if you tow with it. Full springs will always do MUCH better at controlling axle wrap.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I thought I could get away with 285 michelins or BFG All-Terrains, but one of the advisors there suggested some 305 Goodyear Silent Armor tires since I'd be on the freeway more than off-road. I don't know much about them but they seem like something good, best of all they're load range E, so no worries there.
So far, a decent tire - I think I have 200 miles on my 285's

One thing that stuck out at me - the size I was looking for was 285/75R16's.

The E-rated BFG AT was NOT rated "severe snow service", but the D-rated one was.

I looked at the Goodyears, and their E-rated SilentArmor in a 285 was rated "severe snow service".

I like snow

Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Unhappy

Well boys, today was yet another glorious day for the X as I got into a wreck. I'll post some pics when I get some, but to say the least, my front bumper and the fogs are pretty badly damaged. More details later....

Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Damn, what happened? Will this hold the lift off?

Quick Reply: Finally Caved