1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
high quality engineering there, did they at least put one with a plug in it?...lol

i agree, the shift kit is not enough alone when adding the extra goodies on the truck that is why i am upping the line pressure, i am trying to do it "user friendly" so you wont have to drop the pan or pull the trans to install new valves. my goal is to do it the same way the computer designed it to, think of it as creating my own banks transcommand, i'm so close i can taste it

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim
If trans has no slipping issues. I would go for it.
PITA is that you have to pull trans and pump to mod the pressure.

Bill

Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Suber
Elder User
Great stuff gents, awesome! I may give this a go also.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
or give me a little time to get the pressure adjustable using the pcm to control the epc however you like

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
high quality engineering there, did they at least put one with a plug in it?...lol
Nope no Drain plug, old style pan that doesn't use the reuseable gasket and 2wd. So I modified it with a drian plug and ground down the raised bosses to be able to use the reuseable gasket. Now next time it comes apart I will have a 4R100 pan and some upgrades ready to go in.

Madvan thanks for the help. Tranny is still in good shape. just everynow and then it can't decide if it wants to shift or not.

One more question. What does the Transgo Tugger/reprogramming kit do?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5797670&rd=1,1

Thanks guys!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
One more question. What does the Transgo Tugger/reprogramming kit do?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5797670&rd=1,1

Thanks guys!
It will do the same as drilling the VB. With the exception of having stock line pressure. Your year i think you would use the HD2-D. Tugger is for 98 and up. If you want higher line pressure you have to mod the pump. Remember this if you increase the pressure you tax the TC,Pump,ect and run a higher risk of cross leaks. That is why this type of drilling of the VB is great. No losses just a gain in firming shifts.
Good thing is your truck should have the input shaft with the grove on the end. Thats the upgrade shaft that goes with the steel planet. (4pin not 6pin)

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 06-06-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MADVAN
Good thing is your truck should have the input shaft with the grove on the end. Thats the upgrade shaft that goes with the steel planet. (4pin not 6pin)
Bill
Thanks Bill! I will be doing this all very soon. My tranny is my biggest worry. I also thought the same thing about my planetary and all that but after finding out I have a pre 96 2wd pan who knows what my tranny has in it. I am beginning to wonder if the didn't take a early tranny and throw it in there to keep the 97 tranny for themselves. I will find out when I pull it for the pump mod! Its a good thing the previous owner had the tranny work done cause the shop isn't going to enjoy me if that ends up being the case! Thats why I do my own work period! Any way enough ranting! Thanks again guys!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Understandable.
Rip it down. Start from point A finish at Z.
Good luck if you decide to rebuild yourself.
Its not that hard to do. Just check and recheck!!!

Jury is still out on red or blue clutch packs.

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 06-06-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
This is an awesome post and I will save it. Just wanted to say thanx to all you guys for the info.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MADVAN
Understandable.
Rip it down. Start from point A finish at Z.
Good luck if you decide to rebuild yourself.
Its not that hard to do. Just check and recheck!!!

Jury is still out on red or blue clutch packs.

Bill
When the time come (hopefully not for a long time!) I will be rebuilding it myself. But for now I am just going to up the pressure and the shifts a bit and see where that leads me. If got around 75k on the rebuild now and seems healthy but still stock mushy shifts!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
if it were mine i wouldnt pull it out just to install a new pump valve, if you want to up the pressure sooner i can show you exactly what wires to "adjust" to up the pressures safely, i just havent perfected a simple adjustable method yet, my plan is to have it on a potentiometer mounted on the dash so you can adjust the shift firmness on the fly, all i need is a weekend off from work to finish it up but the good 'ol US DOD is keepin me quite busy right now, 7 days a week 12 hour shifts or more

Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 AM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
I wondered into this forum from the 99-03 forum... I was just wondering if anyone has done this and what they think. I would like to give it a try on my 225k mile 99's tranny.
So if you have done it.
How did it go?
and how do you like it?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I haven't yet but I plan to.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chj, this is a really informational post (is that even a word) I have a question for ya. I think you stated before if you have some goodies, then the shift kit alone is not enough. Im running stage 1's and I only have 15K on my rebuilt stock tranny, and shes really feelin bad. not sure what i can do. thanks for all the links, I have found the pump mod but is the shift kit and pump and maybe the "adjustable" line pressure gonna be enough? id like to start there... what do you fellers think?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the pump mod, from what i understand, is the same thing as electronicly upping the line pressure, either or would work, my first question on the rebuild was did they install the sd 6 pinion forged steel foreward planetary? that is the biggest weakness in our trans..in my opinion. if not your still ok, just dont tow your buddies 79 f250 hiboy with 38.5's up the side of a mountain while climbing over rocks because he blew his diff and clutch out. Not smart, trust me, really, dont do it, got pics on that one too. lol. but in any case you should be fine with what you have done to your truck with just the shift kit, as i said before towing near 10k on 35's my trans could care less with just my drilled accumulator body, never shuddered never slipped.i'm not the biggest fan of cranking the line pressure up, i agree with what madvan said to a t but some people want it so i will get it made up user friendly. i will try to take a video capture with my digital camera today of my tach while driving to show you all what its like, i know its not the same as riding but its the best i can do unless some of you live close enough and want to take the ride. offers on the table.
mustang gt 350, its the exact same part number accumulator in e40d's as in 4r100's it takes longer to drop your pan than it does to do the mod, sit tight i'm off to get pissed off at my camera

Quick Reply: shift kits