Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 vs. 460

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:57 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoa, how did i miss this thread? there is no comparison between the two. the only year of efi460 that had any tuneability was the 97 maf motors. the efi and lack of user modification on an easy to do yourself basis made 460's weak, that and the epa. if ford kept at it and put some cash into the gasser king, who knows where things would have gone. take a factory 1968 460 and put it up against a v10, see what happens. they got so de-rated in pick ups that they are some what sad in stock form. v10's are great motors, but the strange exhaust note will never make up for the better mileage for me. they have better tranny's and better computers/ignition systems. give a 385 series some updates and coil on plugs, bet it would stomp any and all gas motors, overhead cams or not

Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by fatdan460
they have better tranny's and better computers/ignition systems. give a 385 series some updates and coil on plugs, bet it would stomp any and all gas motors, overhead cams or not
Thats one problem is its hard to compare two different generations of motors on completely different platforms and with different technologies and gvmt regs...

Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
i don't have emissions testing where i live, and you can build a 460 to the moon without worries. i hate computers controlling my vehicle. i am a driver, and love the quirks of older vehicles. i also hate diesels, so the best motors for the years of trucks i love are 460's. don't get me wrong, i would love to swap a built 460 into a superduty and scare the hell out of 5.4 guys that are confused by the v8 rumble, and someday i hope i get to do it. i am the last of a dying breed. young guys who miss the old ways. you have to look at the truck as a whole. unit bearings, computers, sensors, metric lug pattern, metric in general, sissy car creature comforts, no more wing vent windows, and did i mention computers? i know the mod v8's have carb intakes and ignition systems, if they made that stuff for the v10's, and an adapter for the c-6, i would love to try to swap one into an older truck.
they are both great motors, but they come from different times with different needs. wait till the 6.2 hits the market. i'm sure i'll hate it, but you never know

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tpcgregsheh
the v10s are notorious for blowing gaskets.
Excuse me?
You need to double check your sources that are claiming the 6.8L is "notorious for blowing gaskets", they are not.
JL

Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
Excuse me?
You need to double check your sources that are claiming the 6.8L is "notorious for blowing gaskets", they are not.
JL
I was thinking the same thing. This is first time I heard that.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Take it from an old long time 460 lover, the V10 rules! I have had more 460's than I can count and had them as pursuit cars when on the force. Great engines, but anyone who says the V10 is a slouch has not owned one. I held out for a long time on the V10 until my old 460 just wheezed out.

Now I know that when I tow up a mountain I won't have to change the jets every two thousand feet. The EEC does it for me. Try that with an analog engine.

Sissy comforts? I had enough of crossing the scorching deserts with my kids faces turning red from heat exhaustion because I had no A/C! I guess some people will always prefer outhouses over flush toilets.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If ford kept at it and put some cash into the gasser king, who knows where things would have gone.
The 460 had some major issues in the emmisions department up to it demise in 97'. (98' MY) My 6.8l meets 2004 emmision standards with no smog pump and no EGR which the 460 would not do regardless of how much money they threw at it. I like the old engines but after 30 years the 460 and engines related to it had to go.

As for carburetors and 3 speed autos with no locking TQ you couldn't pay me to go back to them. Rebuilding carburetors, screwing with fast idle linkages, anti diesel solenoids, idle screws, jets, chokes and etc all the time, no thanks. I have a 74' F-100 to do all that stuff to and I'm glad I don't have to work on it all weekend to keep it in good shape to drive to work on monday. I'd rather save the old trucks with old gas guzzling engines for fun on the weekend.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
tpcgregsheh
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
Excuse me?
JL
My dad owns a F-350 v10 that blew a gasket. I've also heard others complain of this as well. Still have nothing against the 6.8, it's a powerful engine, I just question their reliability sometimes.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Fatdan - believe it or not I'm with you on the older non computer engines as you can see from my 78 in my avatar... But as DKF says they are more for weekend fun when they get that old. Even the stock 351 in my bronco never sees anything but single digit mpg and even though I can work on it myself there is no way I'd call the over 30yr old motor more reliable. I enjoy tweaking on the carb and turning wrenches and I can get the thing running again quick but for a DD I can't afford a breakdown on the way to work. But as far as a 460 and 90's truck still in good shape I say more power to you, even if I still prefer the 6.8 for myself. As far as sissy comforts there are probably alot more 90's 460 trucks out there with more sissy comforts than my 09... maybe not yours just saying dont be accusing me of that since I'm a big proponent of keeping it a 'mans truck'. Now AC and cruise I'm guilty of but thats about it. And we do take out of state family trips in it and the family loves the truck.

DKF it seems like emissions is what kills just about all the series... I know the 351M/400 motors were phased out in the 80's because they couldnt as easily be adapted to the newer emissions and electronic engine controls as the 302/351W(and those were cheaper for ford to build to I guess).

Originally Posted by tpcgregsheh
My dad owns a F-350 v10 that blew a gasket. I've also heard others complain of this as well. Still have nothing against the 6.8, it's a powerful engine, I just question their reliability sometimes.
Just so we are all on the same page which gasket are you referring to? I purchased mine based of from a pretty good consesus here that its one of the most reliable gassers ford has put out. I;ve heard others complain about alot of things like how ford has terrible trannys in the sd's and how the v10 gets terrible mpg and how fords suck. Good thing I dont take hearsay for gospel.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dkf
The 460 had some major issues in the emmisions department up to it demise in 97'. (98' MY) My 6.8l meets 2004 emmision standards with no smog pump and no EGR which the 460 would not do regardless of how much money they threw at it. I like the old engines but after 30 years the 460 and engines related to it had to go.

As for carburetors and 3 speed autos with no locking TQ you couldn't pay me to go back to them. Rebuilding carburetors, screwing with fast idle linkages, anti diesel solenoids, idle screws, jets, chokes and etc all the time, no thanks. I have a 74' F-100 to do all that stuff to and I'm glad I don't have to work on it all weekend to keep it in good shape to drive to work on monday. I'd rather save the old trucks with old gas guzzling engines for fun on the weekend.
i hear posts like this all the time. granted i live in illinois, basically flat for the most part, but i am in the illinois valley. i have never had all of these carb problems that i hear about, nor have i had any problems wheeling my truck with a carb.

about emissions, those are a problem for left handed californians. if they didn't ruin everything for the rest of the u.s. i would still have a 460 as an option in a new truck. v10's are damn good motors, but i have a loyalty issue with the 385 series

Last edited by krewat; 05-25-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: editting for language
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM
tpcgregsheh
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Just so we are all on the same page which gasket are you referring to?
Not exactly certain, believe it was on one of the exhaust ports.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 AM
240 gordy
New User
Hey pops, I'm with fatdan on your comment on the carbs. If you are rejetting after climbing 2000 feet, then you have something wrong, did something wrong, or just should not touch a carb at all. Carbs work great and are simple to diagnose if something does go wrong. Try to diag a v10 running problem without a dealership at your disposal and few hundred dollars for their time. Generic scanners do very little but throw you a p-code and your still left trying to figure out what the problem is.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
about emissions, those are a problem for left handed californians. if they didn't ruin everything for the rest of the u.s. i would still have a 460 as an option in a new truck. v10's are damn good motors, but i have a loyalty issue with the 385 series
Yes, go live in the sticks, rip out your catalytic converter and never EVER realize what emissions requirements on gas engines did for the rest of the country.

Blame it on the Californians. And, just so you know, I had to edit your comment about left handed californians. Language like that will not be tolerated.

I am constantly amazed at the "head in the sand" attitude from some people about engine emissions.

Try uninstalling all the emissions stuff on all engines in a semi-populated area. After you're outside for a few hours and can't stop wheezing or your eyes are tearing or your kids get asthma, come on back and tell us how it went. Worse, try that in a big metropolitan area like New York.

I remember riding my dirtbike near a four-lane highway when I was a kid back in the early 80's when lots of cars were still running around without catalytic converters and other things like EGRs. I could smell the exhaust from a mile away. Now, riding around the same area, with about 5 times more traffic, gee, no smell. Go figure.

But hey, when the acid rain comes (if it hasn't already) to your part of the US, and then mysteriously goes away, you can bitch and complain about all those people who have functioning EGRs

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
i can't say queer, but you can say bitch? maybe you should follow the rules as well, sir.
and just so you know i just sold my 94 f350 which had all emissions equipment in place, except a cat that gave me issues and got lopped off for a quick fix, and that truck only saw maybe 2 miles a month street time. i was aiming my comments at the fact that c.a.r.b. and the e.p.a. set the standards too high too quick and kill off good engines before manufacturers can get them to meet the new standards.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
i can't say queer, but you can say bitch? maybe you should follow the rules as well, sir.
It was used as an insult, case closed. Take it to PM if you want to discuss that further.

and just so you know i just sold my 94 f350 which had all emissions equipment in place, except a cat that gave me issues and got lopped off for a quick fix, and that truck only saw maybe 2 miles a month street time. i was aiming my comments at the fact that c.a.r.b. and the e.p.a. set the standards too high too quick and kill off good engines before manufacturers can get them to meet the new standards.
The 1997 460 was in production since, what, 1968? I think there was enough time, in THREE DECADES to make the engine come up to emissions standards. And if you look at EPA (and California) standards, there are so many steps along the way that tightened emissions standards that it can't be considered "too high too quick".

Instead, it got doggier and doggier and harder and harder to pass (ask anyone with a 1990's 460 who had to get a sniffer test).

The V10 has been in production for 13 years, has gone through a few different configurations, including stiffer EPA (and California) emissions standards along the way, hasn't been substantially altered in any way, and still to this day, is being produced in the F450 and F550 for the over 14K lbs emissions standards. It'd still pass in the lighter-duty 250/350, but Ford has opted instead to go to the 6.2 (and for good reason, to some degree).

Now, before you say "my old 460 still passes emissions" - well, yeah, given that the inspection shop will use the year of manufacture for the tests. Not 2010.

Quick Reply: V10 vs. 460