Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, read this post back in 06 and forgot about it and now it looks like a common failure has been found!

At any rate when my wife gets home with the X going to try it out. Found a place on Ebay that makes replacement leather lowers and uppers and they have some good vidoes on how to remove the seats and take the leather covers off.

Again this is a video on how to take the seat out and replace the leather cover.
Remove
YouTube - 02-06 F250 Driver Bottom Part 1 of 2
Replace
YouTube - 02-06 F250 Driver Bottom Part 2 of 2

Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
we could use some new covers, ours a getting worn.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Just took the seat apart and sure enough the bridge wire burnt. Looked like it made a nice little fire too.

Now waiting to get a new cover and should be good to go!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Dougger you rock man! REPS sent.
Subscribing so I can find this again when I'm ready.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 AM
hndacr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing...same issue with drivers seat only.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM
sierramp
New User
2001 Excursion driver's side seat heater inop

Obviously this has been a problem for others as well. I took the seat out (removed four screws that hold the seat bottom to the slider frame), got the plastic seat cover retainers off the frame, pulled back the leather and found what others have found - a burned jumper wire between the seat bottom and the thigh support heaters. It was burned along a 4" section into the cushion and had burned through the fabric backing of the leather.

I twisted off two hog rings so I'll be able to re-install them. The big round lumbar support **** did not have to come off but most of the rest of the trim at the bottom of the left (outside) of the driver's seat did have to come off.

I am going to use 16 gauge aircraft wire for the jumper between the seat bottom and the thigh support heaters with shrink wrap over the entire section. Only the outside (left side of the seat) is burned through but I'm going to replace the jumpers on both sides while it's apart. I may put a piece of felt in that trench between the two cushions to provide a little protection for the jumper.

I'm a woman and I'm getting this done. Toughest part has been compressing the cushion to release the long plastic fabric retainer clip. It's helpful to have three hands for that part.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
dudester
New User
My 2000 x doesn't have heated seats. I purchased new leather cover replacements a few months ago from The Seat Shop but have not had time to install them. I also purchased a few YEARS ago the aftermarket seat heaters. I am going to try and put these in the same time I replace the leather.Not sure if anyone would know the answer since you all seem to have heated seats,but,does anyone know if the wiring is factory installed as far as power to the seats for seat heaters even if it did not have the option installed.I was hoping the power wire would be there and just tag onto that for the aftermarket heaters.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Allpro
New User
Thanks to everyone for all this great info. I'll use it to fix mine next week.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM
F250Identity Crisis
New User
To all who contributed to this thread.... My a$$ thanks you.. . My driver seat quit working... i know here in Cali it doesnt seem like a big deal but the 23 degree nights make it a must... plus the OCD to have everything in the truck work. Mine wasnt a bridge wire but one of the small grid wires... burned in two... resoldered retested and YAY! my butt will smolder now. Once again thanks to all for sharing their expert advice.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Javo
Senior User
Help!!

Hey guys, so this seat heater thing is driving me crazy!! Now it's a quest. Here's my problem:
When I turn on the button (driver's side) I get the orange light, yet no heat. So I pulled the seat out, removed the seat cover and found no areas with burnt wires. I even removed the heating element from the pad and looked at with a flashlight on the back. When I tested for continuity I got a 0.001 on my meter. So I went ahead and replaced both wires between the thigh and rear heating element (soldered an 18ga stranded insulated wire). I now get 0.000 on my meter. Still no heat! So tonight I also did a resistance test and got 001.5. When I tested the pasenger side (since it works according to my wife) I also got 001.5.

Any ideas what to check next? Now it's a mission! God forbid it would be just as simple as finding a burnt wire, replacing it and now my heater works.

Forgot to mention. Before I completely put the seat back together I took the botom heating element and the seat back out to my truck (along with the button) and did a test. I was able to test the wires at the back of the element where they come in and where I soldered in the new wires and was get about 11.5 volts.

Last edited by Javo; 03-02-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
ekim17mr
New User
has anyone replaced their elements with heated seat elements from Heat seats .com

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
jxg
New User
Originally Posted by Javo
Hey guys, so this seat heater thing is driving me crazy!! Now it's a quest. Here's my problem:
When I turn on the button (driver's side) I get the orange light, yet no heat. So I pulled the seat out, removed the seat cover and found no areas with burnt wires. I even removed the heating element from the pad and looked at with a flashlight on the back. When I tested for continuity I got a 0.001 on my meter. So I went ahead and replaced both wires between the thigh and rear heating element (soldered an 18ga stranded insulated wire). I now get 0.000 on my meter. Still no heat! So tonight I also did a resistance test and got 001.5. When I tested the pasenger side (since it works according to my wife) I also got 001.5.

Any ideas what to check next? Now it's a mission! God forbid it would be just as simple as finding a burnt wire, replacing it and now my heater works.

Forgot to mention. Before I completely put the seat back together I took the botom heating element and the seat back out to my truck (along with the button) and did a test. I was able to test the wires at the back of the element where they come in and where I soldered in the new wires and was get about 11.5 volts.

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same issue. I see no breaks, and when I do the continuity test at the switch, i DO have continuity. I tried swapping the switch from the passenger side and the drivers side, passenger side still works, driver side does not!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Airslot
Senior User
First, thank you all for a great thread.

Second, on my 2000 X, drivers side, my heater is not working. Being a bit backwards, it pulled the seat cover to fix the burnt wires only to discover that there weren't any. I checked the blue/pink wires at the switch and found continuity. **Darn, shoulda done that first.** Then I swapped the under seat module with the passenger seat, and after the swap the passenger seat still works.

I originally thought my switch was fine because the led still works, but the switch "could" still be bad.

Anyone have any other ideas to check?

Thanks,

'Slot

Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM
LRSTony
Junior User
Originally Posted by Airslot
First, thank you all for a great thread.

Second, on my 2000 X, drivers side, my heater is not working. Being a bit backwards, it pulled the seat cover to fix the burnt wires only to discover that there weren't any. I checked the blue/pink wires at the switch and found continuity. **Darn, shoulda done that first.** Then I swapped the under seat module with the passenger seat, and after the swap the passenger seat still works.

I originally thought my switch was fine because the led still works, but the switch "could" still be bad.

Anyone have any other ideas to check?

Thanks,

'Slot
i would just go buy a new heating pad from ford, this is what i did. i tried the "replace the burnt wire" trick and i didn't like that idea at all, i just replaced the pad and problem solved.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Airslot
Senior User
Originally Posted by LRSTony
i would just go buy a new heating pad from ford, this is what i did. i tried the "replace the burnt wire" trick and i didn't like that idea at all, i just replaced the pad and problem solved.
I have continuity through the pad and no burned wires. Trying to diagnose what other problems may cause the system not to work.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Help with heated seats