Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:18 AM
CommercialNuke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny. The seat heaters in my X work great, but the driver's heater in my wife's Explorer just stopped working.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
JAY95gt
Mountain Pass
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drzman
I am not at home where it is but when i do get there i will copy it and post it for you to look at.
That would be awesome - thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
drzman
Junior User
Sorry it took so long ,but for some reason i had a heck of a time trying to upload them .

Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM
JAY95gt
Mountain Pass
Awesome! thanks!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 PM
drzman
Junior User
i hope it helps you out, it did for me. good luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
fiveohpatrol
Junior User
I'm having the same problem now, but haven't went out with the volt meter yet. What ended up being the problem with yours?
Mine seemed to get really hot (more so than usual) the last time it worked, now the indicator light is on, but no heat. Could the temp sensor in the diagram above have gone bad causing the element to burn out?

thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
mohrds
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem in my '00 Ex. Driver's side wouldn't heat up but light was on.

Out of frustration one day I took the seat out and brought it in the house. I took off the seat cover and saw the problem. The bottom cushion has two elements. The main one under your butt and a separate element under the thigh support. There are wires (about 18 Ga from the looks of the charred remains) that connect the two sections. both wires were charred and broken. They had even melted a small grove in the cushion. I always love a good fire inside my seat

I tested each pad section with an Ohmmeter and they were fine. I then replaced the two burnt wires with some 12 Ga stranded wire I had and soldered everything together. Ever since then it has been performing flawlessly.

A 20 minute fix instead of a big $$$ dealer replacement. You do not have to remove the seat, I just didn't want to work outside in the cold.

Doug

Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
fiveohpatrol
Junior User
thanks for the reply, I'll look into that this weekend

Old 12-18-2007, 12:34 PM
chapter7
New User
Heated Seat Repair

Originally Posted by mohrds
I had the same problem in my '00 Ex. Driver's side wouldn't heat up but light was on.

Out of frustration one day I took the seat out and brought it in the house. I took off the seat cover and saw the problem. The bottom cushion has two elements. The main one under your butt and a separate element under the thigh support. There are wires (about 18 Ga from the looks of the charred remains) that connect the two sections. both wires were charred and broken. They had even melted a small grove in the cushion. I always love a good fire inside my seat

I tested each pad section with an Ohmmeter and they were fine. I then replaced the two burnt wires with some 12 Ga stranded wire I had and soldered everything together. Ever since then it has been performing flawlessly.

A 20 minute fix instead of a big $$$ dealer replacement. You do not have to remove the seat, I just didn't want to work outside in the cold.

Doug

You are the man....repaired both seats by way of new wire.

thanx
tony

Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
mohrds
Senior User
Originally Posted by chapter7
You are the man....repaired both seats by way of new wire.

thanx
tony
Happy to help!

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Posting Guru
How long does it take you guys to actually start feelin the heat after you turn it on? Seems i need to wait a good 10 minutes or more sometimes. Ive turned it off then back on and it seemed to get warm faster? Also, is it supposed to turn off on its own after a lil while? Seems as soon as i start feeling some good heat it turns itself off!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
so what does the problem seem to be? The two little wires between the pads breaking? If so, how you do you remove the seat cover to access them?

Thanks,

Isaac

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
fiveohpatrol
Junior User
thanks mohrds, that was the same problem in mine.

I just pulled the front portion of mine off, there's a long plastic channel that is holding the front of the seat cover on from underneath. I just pried that out and that gave me plenty of room to repair the short section of burnt wire.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 PM
bigdog55
Senior User

Does anyone have pix??? I s'pose I could work on mine between rain storms and won't have to take it all the way out..After having 12" in a day two weeks ago we just had another 4" yesterday and more on the way.. Look-out mid-west and south-west, there's more precip coming...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Part-Timer
Senior User
Dumb question: The wire that you use as a replacement for the ones that were burnt out - do you use insulated or bare wire?

My X is in the shop (someone tried to steal it - body shop has had it for 4 weeks now), so I can't check it out directly. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem in both front seats.

Thanks,

Brian

Quick Reply: Help with heated seats