Modular V10 (6.8l)  

K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pops, now that this topic has died off, I was wondering why you felt the need to attack me personally. I would have given you a pm, but mines not working. You know nothing about me, but yet you sugest I'm stupid and a bigot. I am FORD MAN, and I rib everybody that doesn't drive a ford, like they do me, it's all in fun. I don't hate anybody, I meant I won't suport a goverment that attacked us, it has nothing to do with the japanese people. They were doing what they were told to, just like our soldiers do, war is a terrible thing for both sides, people die, and all blood is red. As a christain, I try to love everbody like the lord commanded, some are easier than others. I may be stupid , but I am no bigot, life is to short for hate, it's a wasted emotion. The personal attacks started because I disagreed with you on k&n. Unless you know me, I wish you would keep those kinds of coments to yourself. You don't have to like me, just don't attack me personally on the forum. I'm sorry we that we got off on the wrong foot, but I have nothing but positive experience with k&n, I'm sorry that you haven't, but it doesn't call for being mean to someone. Lets start fresh, and respect one another if we ever debate again, as I'm sure your a great guy. You have a great evening, and may God bless you, thanks for listening.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Wendell,
I have gone back over my posts and see nowhere where I personally attacked you. I only rebutted your assertions on the K&N argument.

I then quoted you where you used the word "jap" which has always been an offensive racial slur. I then added my commentary on how sad it is that this word with its attendant emotions still hang on in America. Making an assessment of one's poor usage of 'buzz' words is not a personal attack.It is not worthy of the faith.

I hear too many still using that word today. When I hear some say it, and I know they are christians, (as I am) I hasten to remind them that they are children of the same god we worship.

I hope we can bury the hatchet right here and now. I want to be friends with all who are on this Ford site.

As I stated, and you may have missed, I was really interested in installing the K&N set up. But after doing extensive research, I determined it was not for me, and would not afford me the benefits they purport to offer.

If it would improve my mpg and power at no expense to my engine's longevity, I would flip in a heartbeat.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
As we used to say, back in the day, Peace, Love, Led Zeppelin! Or was it Los Lobos?

Just funnin, and, by the way, a brother in the Lord as well.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Los Lobos were a great band and so was the Zep. Take your pick!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:31 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Thanks Pop's I knew your were a great guy, never knew jap was a slur, I just thought it was short for japanese, I'm glad you told me, cause I wouldn't want to hurt anybodies feelings, were all created in the image of God. I'm not sure about k&n either anymore, I have no complants with them in personal use, but the data that's comming out about thier ineffectivness to filter properly makes me nerves about them. A filter is only as good as the amount of dirt it keeps out, and at the prices of todays engins, is not worth the risk. I never put one on my SD anyway, it's just my work horse. I just got it paid off this spring, and with the price of gas, I mostly just pull the camper with it. It pulls my 5000 lb jayco kiwi like it wasn't even there, I don't even have to use the leveling bars on the hitch. I bet those new 3 valve v-10's awesome, my 2 valve ain't no slouch, it doesn't need no stinken k&n anyway. What filter do you use ? I've been using motorcraft in the SD, they seem to be pretty good.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Lazy Farmer
New User
Hello everyone.....We all should know where the word Jap came from....WW2....Enough on that.....To the real things, paper filters........Re reading the tests which were done in controlled lab conditions.....With the k&n.........For filtering dust particles the No. 1 was the AC Delco.......No. 2 was Baldwin.............Thanks to all who put their time and efforts into this FORD site.....real tests, on the road, at the fuel pumps, ect.......................1978 F-150 400 (2) 1979 F-150 460 (1) 1975 Granada 302 (1) 1973 FORD tractors (3)

Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
I like and use Baldwin, Wix or NAPA. I believe they are made at the same factory.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Who here has owned one truck long enough to see an air filter related breakdown?

Who here would keep a truck long enough to see if a K&N would pass enough dirt to cause demonstrable damage to the engine (with regular oil changes). Most are traded at 60K.

With the contaminating the MAF sensor as the only real fault (and even that is mainly the end-users fault when re-oiling) I see no reason to not use a K&N or any other oiled gauze filter...if that's what you decide.

This subject has been so beaten to death on internet forums...kinda like the gas vs. diesel threads.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The real topic was fuel mpg's
Which k/n claims.
Not, Nada,doesn't happen
actually more fuel being used .less mpgs

Rich

I end the discussion on this!

Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsta
Who here has owned one truck long enough to see an air filter related breakdown?

Who here would keep a truck long enough to see if a K&N would pass enough dirt to cause demonstrable damage to the engine (with regular oil changes). Most are traded at 60K.

With the contaminating the MAF sensor as the only real fault (and even that is mainly the end-users fault when re-oiling) I see no reason to not use a K&N or any other oiled gauze filter...if that's what you decide.

This subject has been so beaten to death on internet forums...kinda like the gas vs. diesel threads.
I'm with you, I have run my work truck with a K&N in it from 12K when I changed out the original filter. I now has 99320 miles on it and I have never had any trouble with the MAF or is there any dirt in the air tube. And around here if you work on construction sites its dirty.

But I do like the extended times between cleanings with the K&N filter, its more than payed for itself.

Denny

Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Monsta

GREAT point Monsta!!!

biz

Old 07-22-2006, 06:07 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I have used k&n foe several years now, But I did trade in alot. Now I'm at the age where I can't trade in so often, I don't work the overtime as much, have health issues and so on. So now I need to be more careful in what I do. I just got my SD payed off, and I want it to last a long time, and at these gas prices, it should last forever ha ha.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:44 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I have used k&n foe several years now, But I did trade in alot. Now I'm at the age where I can't trade in so often, I don't work the overtime as much, have health issues and so on. So now I need to be more careful in what I do. I just got my SD payed off, and I want it to last a long time, and at these gas prices, it should last forever ha ha.
He he he, Wendell, now you sound like me! I cannot retire until I get my SD paid off. I am 58 soon to be 59 and have only 4 more years to go.

Even so, We all must remember that Monsta is living in what I call a confined space. My very first pick-up truck was a 1981 F150 with a manual tranny and an in-line six (4.9) with only an a/m radio in it and no a/c. You couldn't kill it. I ran it for 13 years, and it had 155k on it when I traded it in for peanuts.

Unlike Monsta I live in the wide open spaces in SoCal where you can rack up the miles in a hurry. I took that ol' F150 into the High Sierras several years draggin' a 24 foot trailer and five kids along with me.

It also crossed the US/Mexican border a few times and also went to Utah more than a dozen times into high lake and stream areas for fishing and camping with the same trailer and kids. Also took them to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

I drove it to work everyday, too, and to church on Sundays. I wore out the cheapo aluminum tranny in it in no time and dropped in a Warner T18 with a supergranny and took out the 2.75 gears and put a 3.50 punkin in it and a new split driveline.

I also had an 85 Club Wagon which I adored. It had a 460 in it. When I gave it away it had 166k on it. The 460/C6/3.55 differential (Dana) were a bulletproof combination. I just wore everything elso out in it.

Lastly was my first Triton V10 E350 CWXLT. I sold it last year with 180k on the clock. It stil lookd show-room new. What a gorgeous machine.

So, you see...like the human body, if you want it to live long, take care of it from day one! Wasn't it Satchel Paige, the famous Negro League ball player who said when he was into his 90's, "If I had known I would have lived this long I would have taken better care of myself" ?

Now after one heart attack and an angioplasty, and diabetic, I wish I had!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by pops_91710
Even so, We all must remember that Monsta is living in what I call a confined space.
Now here I was thinking that where I lived provided me with a very diverse driving enviroment. Let's see...

The Big Island has:

1. 11 of Earth's 13 climate zones.
2. The ability to go from desert to sub-Artic tundra in less than 40 miles.
3. Beach to snow in the same.
4. Sea level to 13,000+ in the same.
5. Roads that'll beat the crap out of your truck.
6. Roads that are like glass.
7. I can go 4 wheelin' through a tropical rainforest but must go through rolling green cow pastures to get there.
8. I go through more elevation changes and therefore climates and therefore different enviromental pollutants in a single drive than most on the planet.
9. Contrary to the Mainland hick mentality, I have the ability to cruise for hours and not get wet!
10. I have town driving that'll stress any cooling system & patience. We don't just live in huts on the beach and drink from coconuts, ya know. Well...holidays don't count...
11. It takes 8+ hours to drive around the island.
12. There's more but you get the point...

If it is yearly mileage well...my Excursion hasn't turned 1 yet and I just turned 25K. And I've got 3 other vehicles to choose from to drive.

Let's not think that just because I live on an island that automatically makes me not know anything or that I cannot go anywhere or that I do not have to take care of my stuff and can take those silly chances like using a K&N etc.?

With aloha...

Last edited by Monsta; 07-22-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

And another thing...

Do we really think that any particle that can get past the K&N type filter won't be utterly destroyed in the what?... 2000° combustion camber?? and what doesn't gets suspended in the oil to either be filtered out or flushed out at the next change!

Point is I'm just playing devil's advocate here. If you want to use a K&N or similar, go ahead. Does it make you feel good?...great. If it is an emotional decision then fine. But if it is a non-emotional decision then there are a lot of reasons NOT to use one.

That said...I got a drop-in in my Excursion as I gather evidence to get real facts about it's use. but I wasn't suppose to say anything for another 20K.... shoot...

Last edited by Monsta; 07-22-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter