K&N Filter

Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monsta,

Did you show up late?
A) I am not pro K&N. I am pro paper.
B) I never said or even inferred you don't know anything or don't take care of your stuff. I have been around here long enough to read many of your posts that are always well written and informative. Besides, you got to be a good guy cuz you drive a V10.
C) My comment to Wen was a tongue in cheek way of saying we all don't trade our cars in before the window sticker is faded. I run the wheels of mine. Well, usually. My second (2003 SD V8 ) truck I had only 11 months and traded it back on my V10. (Bent over).

BTW, I can't help you on the differential. I can't find that website anymore.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think my post may have read too harsh when that wasn't my intention. Sorry....

Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I can say one thing Pop's, you get your money's worth out of a vehicle, but that's really the only way to do it. For the kind of mileage you put on, I can see why your a ford man ha ha. That ole 300 I-6 in my opinion is one of the best motors ford ever built, I've had a couple in my day, loved those big six's. Guess the k&n issue didn't get settled here either, well", it will live to rear it's ugly head another day somewhere else. you guy's take care of yourself's, it's been great talking to you all, and I'm sure we'll talk again, but in the mean time, "MAY GOD BLESS".

Old 07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
superduty lee
Junior User
Smile

I think it was Will Rogers that said " never miss a good chance to shut up " and thats the road I will take on this topic.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well Monsta here is one where you and I certainly disagree....

My attitude is from three perspectives:

1. As you know I am usually against MOST hyped up and overstated claims in advertising by any aftermarket device or product. Part of my thoughts here are on the line of "if the filter was half as good as K&N says...then Ford would license them and put in every car and truck because they need ever edge they can get with the CAFE folks.

2. I have a testing background and have thoroughly read the test reports and science behind them including slogging through all the different Test Specifications to understand the relevance of any particular test. Fact is that the silica small particulate mater the paper WILL Trap and K&N WILL pass ("until properly loaded with debris" (K&Ns words)) is small enough to contaminate the oil with very abrasive matter and also pass through the typical oil filter systems with ease. Oil analysis proves this fact also.

3. I got to test my 2v V10 on three different dynos before I assassinated her and on one Saturday I got three good runs in on a low humidity and cool(ish) day. I ran a MC paper (under 1500 miles old), a new factory oiled K&N and a run with no filter. True the K&N makes about 7 more HP up above 4200 to 5100 RPM but all the the runs were dead nutz even up to 4200 no matter filter or not... Side note is that the K&N filter is just slightly quieter then no filter...in other words the Open chamber K&N FIKP is more noisy then the factor snorkel (I do not think a drop in K&N is going to be much louder then the paper element)

I don't know about the rest of you all but I have a great relationship with my dealer and I get oil, and plugs and filters that their cost... I know CaptChas is aghast at the filter cost of 38-42 bucks but I get mine for under $20..... hummmm fresh clean filter every 180 days ..... no screwing with cleaning, drying, re-oiling.... literally a 7 second job... sorry folks the the inexpensive...effecient filtering and air passing and my own laziness make the MC paper filter tops in my book

For what it is worth I have added in every filter post my own use of K&N gauze filters... I have even gotten two free ones when I sent them a pair of their cone style general purpose filters I adapted to my racing bike motor. The rubber holding the pleats and mesh in place had deteriorated (probably from my fuel mix and winter ether shots).... I like the company, the product is sort of OK ... but if you live in sandy, dusty, talcum powder areas, I would not run them daily.....

And Monsta... true that many of your beaches are coral and sea shell based sand... but there is a lot of black volcanic crushed glass silica sand beaches... that is some of the most abrasive crap on the planet... (shrug) I doen't know...just a thought

Old 08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Captain Nemo
New User
The dealer I bought my truck from (used) told me if I put in a K&N filter, they would likely not honor the factory or extended warranty if they could show wear due to excessive particulates being passed throught the filter. The service guy had some specifics about blade wear in the turbo and 2 cylinders that seem to get the most abuse (I can't remember which ones). He then proceeded to tell me that Ford sold an aftermarket filter like the K&N filter that would not affect my warranty. I thought they were feeding me a line so I put a K&N cartridge in anyway, but after reading this thread I'm thinking there's enough doubt to make me switch back to paper. Like others here, I noticed no decernable difference in power or responsiveness.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
The dealer I bought my truck from (used) told me if I put in a K&N filter, they would likely not honor the factory or extended warranty if they could show wear due to excessive particulates being passed throught the filter. The service guy had some specifics about blade wear in the turbo and 2 cylinders that seem to get the most abuse (I can't remember which ones). He then proceeded to tell me that Ford sold an aftermarket filter like the K&N filter that would not affect my warranty. I thought they were feeding me a line so I put a K&N cartridge in anyway, but after reading this thread I'm thinking there's enough doubt to make me switch back to paper. Like others here, I noticed no decernable difference in power or responsiveness.
First, welcome to FTE!!!!

Second, I'm sorry you wasted your money on a K&N!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Houndog101
Junior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
And another thing...

Do we really think that any particle that can get past the K&N type filter won't be utterly destroyed in the what?... 2000° combustion camber?? and what doesn't gets suspended in the oil to either be filtered out or flushed out at the next change!

Point is I'm just playing devil's advocate here. If you want to use a K&N or similar, go ahead. Does it make you feel good?...great. If it is an emotional decision then fine. But if it is a non-emotional decision then there are a lot of reasons NOT to use one....
Very well put..!! I use them in my race vehicles and have not had a MAF or motor fail because of the K&n or my STB,, another filter like K&N...

Old 08-18-2006, 05:26 PM
cameon
New User
IF K&n is so good why dont ford use them? i've never own a k&n filter dont mean i want get one .It seems that there is as much good as there is bad out there on these filters, whats a new v10 owner to do i mean i dont want the v10 gods to be mad at me

Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Houndog101
Junior User
Wink

Originally Posted by cameon
IF K&n is so good why dont ford use them? i've never own a k&n filter dont mean i want get one .It seems that there is as much good as there is bad out there on these filters, whats a new v10 owner to do i mean i dont want the v10 gods to be mad at me
Like stated "do what you feel is right"..
Can you imagine if ford did put K&N in ,,Most people would not know how to properly maintain one.. I don't think the average truck can benefit from one at all..But if you supercharge ( my 2000 Ford Lightning ) or have a highly modified motor It will benefit from one..
Leave this thread die,, Because its going no where.. You are all right !!
do what you want, leave the rest of us to do what we want...

Old 08-19-2006, 04:52 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Damn, lots of off topic in this one. Touchy touchy, lol.

I run K&N in all my offroad stuff that sees more dirt that any daily driver would in its entire life. The #1 thing I've noticed is that the guys that are getting dirty intakes running K&Ns are the guys not cleaning them enough. They take a lot of maintenance to operate properly. They should be at least cleaned every oil change if not more when playing hard. I also run the pre-filters too and the main reason is the ease of cleaning with them. K&Ns don't get the hard to clean cake on them with the pre-filter, that's a sweet bonus for sure and they last longer too. You can take any one of my filters off, rub your finger in the inside of the intake and come out clean.

Clean the damn filters and do it religiously and they'll return good service.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's interesting how heated this topic can get, on a lot of different boards. I used K&Ns in a couple of offroad Jeeps and got really worried after reading a heated debate on a Jeep board. I started checking my airbox after offroading and noticed that with one Jeep (with K&N) I got no more dirt past the filter than with the stock filter...so I put a K&N in that one. It saved me money and with over 100k miles it didn't seem to make a difference in wear. Who knows ultimately if there would have been a big difference in wear at 200k miles...but it was cost effective for me.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ace!
It's interesting how heated this topic can get, on a lot of different boards. I used K&Ns in a couple of offroad Jeeps and got really worried after reading a heated debate on a Jeep board. I started checking my airbox after offroading and noticed that with one Jeep (with K&N) I got no more dirt past the filter than with the stock filter...so I put a K&N in that one. It saved me money and with over 100k miles it didn't seem to make a difference in wear. Who knows ultimately if there would have been a big difference in wear at 200k miles...but it was cost effective for me.
Actually, I think it is more interesting that this thread continues to live on over so many weeks and with so many comments. I've seen other more interesting/educational threads garner only a few comments (if that) then it just goes plain dead.

With that said, I'll just add this one comment. Yesterday I went to the NAPA autoparts store and picked up a replacement paper filter (NAPA Gold). It's only the second one I have had to buy. The last one I bought was April of last year (2005). The cost was less than $19.00 and it took me one minute to install it, and I was done.

For me and my style of driving that was more cost effective. I do not think one dollar a month is excessive for a filter change, and I didn't have to spend any time with washing and oiling it. Instead, I used that time to detail my engine compartment. But, I do not off-road like some here do, so that may be why I like my way better.

As for inspecting the air box to determine if one filter is working as well as another seems to me like looking down someone's throat for colon cancer.
You may be on the right path, but the problem may be just a little deeper.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
That's not how they find colon cancer?

Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cameon
I thought some performance vehicles did come with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Filter