1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

here's a new twist on the door chime prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
dwildmanj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's a new twist on the door chime prob

I have a new twist on the door chime problem.

Immediately after I turn off my truck, when I open the driver's door, the chime starts. (I take my key out before I open my door. Locked myself out one day.) Doesn't do it if only the passenger door is opened. But if the driver's door is opened, while the passenger door is open, then that stupid chime starts going off. IF I let it sit a while and try to enter from outside, the chime doesn't chime. But the minute I open the door from the inside (still the driver's door), that blasted chime starts. Doesn't chime when the door is closed, (knock on wood), doesn't chime while going down the road. Only chimes when the driver's door is opened from the inside. No key in the ignition and no lights left on.

Now isn't that a kick!

97 Ranger XLT, 2.3l, automatic.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Donald Rohret
Senior User
If you have tried the WD40 routine and still have a problem, my guess is that you have an after market radio installed. I bought a '95 XLT and fought the same problem for a long time, until I accidentally discovered that if I left my radio on when I turned off the ignition key, no chime when I opened the door. It has something to do with the GEM circuit and how the after market radio was installed. Just a guess.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm thinking like Don is, that the GEM is involved in some way. If I'm not mistaken the GEM remains "alive" for several minutes after the ignition system is shut off.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start installed? Has anything electrical installed lately (alarm, radio, CB, etc.)?

Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 AM
lala
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might be the key switch stuck... theres a line off the ignition that goes to 12vdc once a key is inserted or the cylinder twisted more than a few degrees, the line goes high. the chime thinks theres a key in lock

use a meter and see... theres quite a few lines controlling that module

i just unplug it, i hate that thing.

lala

Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
95mazdab23
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
I'm thinking like Don is, that the GEM is involved in some way. If I'm not mistaken the GEM remains "alive" for several minutes after the ignition system is shut off.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start installed? Has anything electrical installed lately (alarm, radio, CB, etc.)?

That might explain why my light tends to want to stay on even though I have fixed the door ajar problem. The previous owner had an alarm on the truck before I got it, and looks like some of the components were left on.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:14 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
I know mine is in the key switch, when i first open the door it doesn't come on, when i open the drivers side door from the inside, it chimes, when i open the passenger side door it doesn't. All i have to do is smack the ignition switch once or twice and it'll stop, not hard, just enough to move it a little. Abot 30 seconds later, if i still have the door open, it will start doing it again, smack it, it'll stop for a while until it gets jarred again. nothing stays on, just the chime, no power to anything, i know there for a while it did it where i had power, then i realized i had overturned the key when i pulled it out of the ignition, how i got it to release and still move, i'll never know, only done that a hand full of times, but for the most part it's dead and the chime goes until i smack the switch.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:28 PM
dag
Senior User
Wow my 96 is sooo wore out I can take the key out of the ignition while its running, kinda convient when you want to run in the store, I can leave it running and lock the door. But I also noticed that the lock cylinder doesn't alway come all the way back to run after starting, so none of my signal lights will work.... gonna change it out this weekend.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
dwildmanj
Junior User
Talking

Ok.....call me ignorant, but what does 'GEM' stand for? I've tried to figure it out, but have had no luck.

I know it's not that the chime is a gem of a sound (yuk, yuk).

Oh, and here's a new one. I had my doors open yesterday messing around and cleaning it out a little, and shut the driver's door 'cause I got tired of that infernal chime. When I opened the driver's door again, NO chime,......that is until I opened the glovebox.

(I sure do wish that they didn't depend on so many little sensors that develop annoying problems later down the road.)

And I DID try bumping around the switch, with no luck. It does act like it thinks the key is still in the ignition, though.

Last edited by dwildmanj; 04-26-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Generic Electronic Module = GEM.

The GEM is essentially a combination of what used to be several different modules on earlier vehicles. As an example, on my '94 Taurus there is a module that governs windshield wiper operation(s) which is seperate and distinct from the module that controls the remote keyless entry system. On my '98 Ranger these functions are combined into a single GEM.

Some further discussion on the GEM can be found here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=185379

Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 360 Likes on 290 Posts
Up underneath the steering column, there is a brown plug with 3-4 wires in it and one is black with a pink stripe. Cut the black/pink wire. This is the line from the switch that goes to ground when the key is inserted. Mine acted about like yours until I cut that wire, now I get no chime at all, which is what I wanted.