Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aih Mod

Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
CHAD250CC4X4
Freshman User
CHAD250CC4X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aih Mod

what is this mod and what does it do?

Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.
you are probably talking about this:http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=48 you may have to cut and paste the link

Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Air Intake Heater plug is designed to heat incoming air on cold starts. It only comes on when ambient air and oil temp is below a certain point (can't remember off hand). It is designed to reduce white smoke on startup from unburnt fuel. Does it work? Well it's limited. Can you do without it? Yes and it's supposed to clear some of the restriction in the intake. The one from that Dieselsite link is just a plug. There are others with a bung to tie in a boost gauge at that location which is supposed to work really well. I think when I eventually feel like getting gauges and upgrading my truck I'll go that route.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:16 PM
CHAD250CC4X4
Freshman User
CHAD250CC4X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How can you tell if this has been done?

Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by CHAD250CC4X4
How can you tell if this has been done?
the stock AIH has 2 thick gauge wires comming off of it (one goes to a relay near the front of the motor the other is bolted to the intake manifold) if its been replaced there will only be a black plug in its place( or may have a boost line hooked to it as "pocket" said)

Old 03-16-2005, 02:32 PM
kilapapipa
Senior User
kilapapipa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Pocket
Air Intake Heater plug is designed to heat incoming air on cold starts. It only comes on when ambient air and oil temp is below a certain point (can't remember off hand). It is designed to reduce white smoke on startup from unburnt fuel. Does it work? Well it's limited. Can you do without it? Yes and it's supposed to clear some of the restriction in the intake. The one from that Dieselsite link is just a plug. There are others with a bung to tie in a boost gauge at that location which is supposed to work really well. I think when I eventually feel like getting gauges and upgrading my truck I'll go that route.
It is my understanding that the AIH only comes on during long idle periods and that the AIH relay and GPR relay cannot be on at the same time so the AIH does not help with cold starts. My info. is from what I have read on this and other sites. This is why it is not necessary to have it. All I did is remove the hot wire from the relay and the ground from the right side of the motor and then, I pulled the plug and sawed off the spring and ceramic with a hack saw before putting the plug back in. $0 dollar mod

Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by kilapapipa
I pulled the plug and sawed off the spring and ceramic with a hack saw before putting the plug back in. $0 dollar mod

This sounds like a cheap mod but you can never return it back to stock. The plug only costs 8.00 so if you are going to do it I would just spend the few bucks and keep the original part just in case you need it.

Fire Rooster

Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 PM
kilapapipa
Senior User
kilapapipa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good point, I am off Warranty so no need to go back to stock for dealer sake. I guess you may want to go back to stock if your truck usage changes.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pick up an oil drain plug for a Dodge diesel at a parts store.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by kilapapipa
It is my understanding that the AIH only comes on during long idle periods and that the AIH relay and GPR relay cannot be on at the same time so the AIH does not help with cold starts. My info. is from what I have read on this and other sites. This is why it is not necessary to have it. All I did is remove the hot wire from the relay and the ground from the right side of the motor and then, I pulled the plug and sawed off the spring and ceramic with a hack saw before putting the plug back in. $0 dollar mod
Sorry, I mistyped... I meant that it reduces white smoke "after" a cold start. You guys understood what I was talking about... right?..... right???.... right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 AM
01f350
Senior User
01f350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On some trucks you might see a code after removing the AIH. The code won't effect the truck's performance, but if you bring it in for warranty work, they will see the code. That's why I suggest buying the plug and keeping the original AIH, so you can through it back in if needed. And it's not just CA trucks that through the code.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
kalsc
Senior User
kalsc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kalsc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Drain plug

Regarding the Dodge Diesel oil drain plug, does it matter which year or are they all the same? $8 for the other plug is an inflated price . . . really.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:00 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Napa # 704-1378