General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any computer/internet gurus wanna provide suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any computer/internet gurus wanna provide suggestions?

I have developed a problem login in to certain sites and posting.

What happens in some cases, I will log in, it will thank me listing my username, then the next page will be the login page (?)...keeps going in a circle and I never actually login. In other cases it will thank me for login in, bring up the reply screen, I will type my message hit send reply and it will say your not logged in, I log in, it thanks me listing my username, next page blank reply screen...again a repetative circle. It doesn't do it on all websites but it makes no sense. In one case I registered using a different e-mail address and logged in using the same IE and it works, so that makes no sense. I contacted the administrator of one site and he said the e-mail address or the source of the e-mail address shouldn't make a difference.

Any ideas, as far as, I am concerned nothing has changed setting wise but obviously it must have. I have turned the pop up blocker off and it makes no difference. Any ideas appreciated.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 AM
rangerxlt02
Elder User
Just a quick idea on this one:
Bad or corrupt cookie information cached for your browser.

You didn't state what you're using to surf the web, but here a few things to try:
Internet Explorer - Tools |Internet Options | Delete Cookies and Delete Files

Firefox - Tools | Options | Privacy - Clear cookies etc there

HTH

Old 11-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Rocky J
Elder User
Sounds like you are blocking all cookies. Go to the top toolbar and click Tools> Internet Options> Privacy> Advanced
Choose to ALLOW first party cookies.
Choose to BLOCK third party cookies (these are the ads)
Check the box to Always allow session cookies (this is what's screwing you up).

Oh, this is the method to use if you have IE. I can't help you if you have Netscape or a Linux based browser.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Its netscape.

It was set to accept all cookies.

I delete the cookies on a regular basis, alway have, so that routine never changed/ didn't affect the situation.

On one of the sites that this was happening, the administrator deleted my original account, actually attached my e-mail address (the one I used with the username/password that stopped working correctly) to my new username, all works, so it cannot be settings or at least I don't think so. I am thinking something has affected certains sites but don't have a clue as to were I should begin. Appreciate the replies

Old 11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
RR4E
Elder User
Might not help, but you could try running SpyBot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html and Ad-Aware SE http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
and check your system for spyware. You may simply have a trojan installed that's redirecting you, or attempting to.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Did you recently install WinXP SP2. If you did, or already have it, turn off the Windows firewall. Use Norton PF or some other program that protects better. Also the Win firewall closes more ports than other firewalls.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:07 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
RR4E
I ran the mcafee if that makes a difference, it found nothing. I followed the link for spybot but ended up with all kinds of links and wasn't sure which one to use.

kingfish51
I haven't recently installed windows XP SP2, I wouldn't know where to turn the windows firewall off even if I did. Any ideas?

Appreciate the replies

Old 11-17-2004, 06:32 PM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Lightbulb Ditch the PeeCee

Go buy yourself a Mac!!!

Old 11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Stock78
Freshman User
If you know a little linux/unix you could download a bootable linux disc, burn the iso to a cd, and boot it up. Then you can run a program called dosfsck to test the hard drive. There is also a anti virus scanner called clam av. The Insert cd has this included, and if your pc is hooked to the net, can download the latest virus signatures online.

Here's some links to helpful cd's:

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-r...looplinux/rip/

These cd's have evolved quite a bit in the last few years, and are really good about automatically recognizing hardware. You will also want to know a little about your hard drive, for instance, they are usually denoted in linux by a HDA1, or HDA2, or HDB1, HDB2, etc... The HDA means the first hard drive in the line, hence the A. The 1 and 2 in the code is the partition. Most cases your hard drive and data will be on HDA1. Some laptops have a partition you don't even see for things like recovery, and in this case your data would be on HDA2.

I am rambling, but these discs can be a lifesaver. I know we have saved a lot of data on servers at my job. And the anti virus saved a laptop just a few weeks ago.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a list of live linux cd's...
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Isaac

Old 11-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Check your browser settings to make sure you are not blocking the cookies from the site or another related site. Sometimes it is not readily apparent which site may be causing the problem.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:46 AM
furball69
Postmaster
Could be the webmaster is not aware of a problem too. I hit the 'register' on one forum type web page and this little iwndow pops up with username and password spaces, so I put in what I wanted for a username and password, then hit enter. It takes me to a page that says I have to be a registered user to do that. Umm, Okayee.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:31 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
If you have SP2, go to control panel/security settings. Under there you will see how to turn all the new security junk off. And in MS's case I do mean junk. If you do not have another software or hardware firewall, leave it on as it is better than nothing.

Edit: Something else that I remember that happened to me. If you already have a firewall software, go into it's log or settings and make sure it hasn't blocked the particular site used to log in.

Last edited by kingfish51; 11-18-2004 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:56 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Check your browser settings to make sure you are not blocking the cookies from the site or another related site. Sometimes it is not readily apparent which site may be causing the problem.
I set the security settings on low for the following: internet, local intranet (thats how its spelled, odd huh?), trusted sites and restricted sites. Did not make a difference. I noticed something that says privacy report under view, it shows the last website that I tried to login too, it say my password/username was accepted and based on my privacy report no cookies were restricted or blocked. Is this what your saying?

If you know a little linux/unix you could download a bootable linux disc, burn the iso to a cd, and boot it up. Then you can run a program called dosfsck to test the hard drive. There is also a anti virus scanner called clam av. The Insert cd has this included, and if your pc is hooked to the net, can download the latest virus signatures online.

Here's some links to helpful cd's:

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-r...looplinux/rip/

These cd's have evolved quite a bit in the last few years, and are really good about automatically recognizing hardware. You will also want to know a little about your hard drive, for instance, they are usually denoted in linux by a HDA1, or HDA2, or HDB1, HDB2, etc... The HDA means the first hard drive in the line, hence the A. The 1 and 2 in the code is the partition. Most cases your hard drive and data will be on HDA1. Some laptops have a partition you don't even see for things like recovery, and in this case your data would be on HDA2.

I am rambling, but these discs can be a lifesaver. I know we have saved a lot of data on servers at my job. And the anti virus saved a laptop just a few weeks ago.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a list of live linux cd's...
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Isaac

yeah you lost me when you posted "If you know a little linux/unix....." .

Aright fellas, were is this firewall blocker everyone mentions, gonna have to spoon feed it to me. Thanks