General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

puter help cant get 1 specific website to load on my pc /all other sites load fine??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
pancake
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post puter help cant get 1 specific website to load on my pc /all other sites load fine??

ok i am running windows xp home and have avg anti virus and a bunch of anti adware/spyware programs adaware,spybot s&d,spykiller,spysweeper,and have the windows firewall actyive

my problem is there is one particular website a band website that i was able to get to in the past on my computer but just recently (the past month or so)i will not mention the name or the site url because many ppl here might think im weird and i didnt come here to plug theyre site ,so what i get is there is 3 computers in the house 2 personal ones mine and my stepmoms and a buisness one that she uses for a work from home job (which the work from home pc is on a seperate high speed internet acct with a seperate feed line and seperate modem...

on both the personal pcs i can access just about any other site out there without a problem but this site in question gives me an error of "the page cant be displayed /invalid syntax error" and i dont know why...on the buisness pc i can get the site to load no prob,on my sisters dialup she can get it no prob...

i tried unplugging the modem and router power that feed my computer for 5 mins then hooking them back up to like reset i guess the ip address or whatever DIDNT HELP i tried disabling the windows firewall for a short time and stillWOULDNT WORK i dont know what is wrong but i hope some1 can help

Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 PM
jonm61
Senior User
Odds are, if you can get to any site except one, then restarting your modem and router won't help. If you do need to restart them in the future, though, it should be minimum 15 minutes. 5's not enough to get the desired effect.

Open Internet Explorer

go to Tools, Internet Options....

in the middle of the box that pops up, click Delete Cookies... then Delete Files....

restart the computer & try to go to the site again.

If that doesn't work, try disabling your antivirus, firewall, antispyware, etc., one at a time until you see which one is blocking the site.

If none of that works, then I have no idea.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I get the message, "WAOL, you've performed an illegal operation" when coming to this site when using a bookmark. Tried deleting the bookmark and entering new, and it didn't help. Cleared all my cookies, files, and deleted AOL, and reloaded AOL. Went away for a week and came right back. No problem if I come here off the Email notification cut and paste, or do a search. Have the same problem with MSN sites, only worse, AOL severs my connection when on MSN.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:14 PM
ColtM4
Elder User
try using another web browser other than IE. Use Firefox or Opera.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Cravin
Senior User
If you have used antispyware you might have added that sites URL to your hosts file. What that will do iswhen you type in the name of the site the Host file will redirect your browser to your local host IP address. Here is an example of what I mean.

# This Hosts file has been altered to block ad servers.
# To restore the file just
# delete everything below the first entry or rename hosts.nbk
# to hosts and move it to the proper directory.
# Updated: scroll down for date stamp
# This is an ad blocking hosts file compiled by
# Mike Skallas(user245(at)hotmail.com)
# Available at http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
# Copyright 2000-2004. Please do not redistribute, use above link.
# Free only for Residential/Non-Profit use.
# Just add '127.0.0.1 ADSERVER' to the bottom to continue the list.

127.0.0.1 localhost #this is not an ad server this is your PC
127.0.0.1 www.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net #remove this for atomfilms problems
127.0.0.1 ad.preferences.com
127.0.0.1 ads.doubleclick.com
127.0.0.1 ads.infospace.com
127.0.0.1 ads.msn.com

That is part of my host file opened in notepad. The entire list is alot longer. Basically what happens is I dont see ads from those sites. 127.0.0.1 is a IP address used only for your computer. Spybot search and Destroy has a feature called Immunize that will add bad sites and bad ads to your host file. The path to your host file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. If you are going to open it use notepad but make a copy first and name the backup copy host2 or host backup just in case. when you open it up look for the url of the page your having trouble getting to. Good luck its really not as complicated as it seems.