Diablo Chip Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, 6.33 minute miles are not super easy. Especially on a friday when all your really thinking about is the weekend. They should make the run on a Wednesday.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:58 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Ouch man...I didnt intend on moving the thread in this direction. I appologize if I got under anyones feathers. Its a beautiful day in Petaluma though...The cows are mooing, the fog hasnt lifted, its 9am and there still is no sunlight. Glorious! We dont have mandatory PT either, BUT, I am tryin to get back into the gym. I am just now getting strength back in my shoulder after surgery. What was this thread about again? Oh yeah...hows the progress on the chip? Any how...Where can I find info on ambient temperatures? I am really interested in how you find that out. Or even what it means. LoL.

Garret

Old 12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Yeah you should be sorry Garrett!!!

it is 11am and there is still frost and ice on the vehicles.. expecting an ice storm tonight or saturday..

Old 12-12-2003, 11:03 AM
sigma
Senior User
It is possible to calculate horsepower vs rpm on the street without paying for a dynamometer test. This will probably be confusing, so if you have questions I’ll answer them next week (going out of town for the weekend).

One horsepower = 550 foot-pounds per second.

To start weigh your truck

Get your truck rolling and put it in third gear. Record your speed for a given RPM (for example the truck goes 49 MPH at 3000 RPM.

Decelerate until your RPM drops to 1000 then floor it.

Time the intervals between 1000-2000-3000-4000-5000 RPM. I recommend using a tape recorder while accelerating and then figuring out the time later with a stop-watch.

Now go home and calculate the corresponding speed for each RPM ( example 1000 RPM/3000RPM base x 49 MPH = 16MPH @ 1000 RPM.)

The foot pounds of energy required to move your at each of the different speeds is 0.0336 x Truck Weight x MPH x MPH (example 0.0336 x 4440 x 16 x 16 = 38191 foot-pounds of energy to move the truck 16 MPH or maintain 1000 RPM in third gear.)

Calculate this number for each RPM.

The horsepower delivered to the road is calculated by subtracting the individual foot pound readings and dividing the resulting number by 550 and again by the seconds it took to effect the change. (example: 1000 RPM foot pounds from the 2000 RPM foot pounds = Foot pounds delta

Foot pounds delta / 550/ the # of seconds it took to accelerate from 1000 to 2000 rpm = the horsepower deliver to the road @ that RPM.

You can also figure HP losses to internal friction by timing how long it takes you to decelerate in gear and HP required to overcome aerodynamic losses by coasting down out of gear.

If you take all your readings at identical RPM/Speeds you can figure crank horsepower by adding the numbers together.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Originally posted by horizonhuskies
The cows are mooing,

I don't know why that struck me as soooo funny, but it just did.

Tom

I'm still laughing.....the cows are mooing???????? I can just picture it...

Old 12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Sigma...That was the coolesst most practical post Ive ever seen on FTE.. Thats amazing, I will get out there and try that. The only reason I need a dyno is for my chip, Ken needs A/F ratios and such. After that chip I should be making some serious power.

Tom, Petaluma is NorCals cow country. Its the major dairy area of California period. Kinda sucks in teh summer time.....the crap trucks come and fertilize all around the base....stinks like murder here :*(

Garrett

Old 12-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
I'm not sure of the formula, i can get it easily though, but if you have a quarter mile track you can calculate your horsepower using your quarter time vs. vehicle weight also. The calculation is much much more simple and still effective. It does not take into consideration aerodynamics or excessive wind speeds working for or against you, but still fairly accurate.

However, if you had a 1/4 track easily at your disposal, you really wouldn't have as much desire to know what your RWH is, you'd just simply be more interested in your 1/4 times, which would tell you more easily if a motor upgrade benefited you or not.

tom

Old 12-12-2003, 11:30 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
True...Very true Tom. I really wanna go to Sacramento Raceway after the install.

Joe, good luck with the chip man, I hope it works out for ya.

Garrett

Old 12-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Guys, I am sooooooooooo taking off early today. My couch is calling me louder and louder.

Garrett, you mentioned something about a chip. Where you going to replace your JET with something else??

Tom

Old 12-12-2003, 11:38 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Yeah man, I am. I am going with a custom Diablo after the New Year. I want to run the SC on the 1/4, install chip, run 1/4, and compare and contrast. I think I need the 3 stage, but I am confused.

I guess I should ask Ken what the difference is between a hi performance burn and the custom burn. I dont know why I would need the custom if the high performance compensates for the S and other mods. Confused. Maybe I should just call Motorhaven?????? Please advise!

Garrett

Old 12-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Garrett,

You will need a custom tune for the Super Charger, as I did with the nitrous. The SC, like the nitrous, is going to force air and fuel into your cylinders causing the motor to run lean already. If you run the normal performance tune with the advanced timing and lean mixture, your going to run into detonation problems. The custom tune will reduce the timing advance and add extra fuel at higher rpm's to keep things at a safe operating level.

However, I'm not sure about your SC, but all the other SC advertisements I've seen for other vehicles come with a custom chip that already does this. Perhaps your SC does not because it's a custom job and not a factory job direct from Vortex.

If your does not come with a chip and you want to use the Diablo, Ken will have to upload a custom tune that will keep detonation at bay, just as my nitrous custom tune.

Tom

Old 12-12-2003, 11:55 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
The reason it does not come with a chip is because this particular Vortech is made for OEM SC's. IE this is something you would see on a factory SC'ed Harley Davidson Edition. So basically, right now, Joe could bolt this up, take out his chip, and not set off any codes. Thats why this SC is so flexable. Same head unit used by the 4.7 Dodges, and their V6, I forget their Litres. You know what I mean Tom? So basically, if I get a 3 stage, stock is useless because I require 92 octane, high performance is useless, cause I will already be leaned, and the only one I can use is Custom. So why cant I get a stage two with a stock and custom program? Because, if you say is true, the HP burn is useless.

Garrett

Old 12-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
I'm not sure what your getting at Garrett. With the custom tune, your timing and fuel/air ratio will be just like the performance tune with 93 octane during low end driving. The timing is only slightly retarded with just a small addition of fuel in the high rev range, like when your really punching it. Otherwise, it's the same tune.

Ken would be abe to explain it better. But, do you really even NEED a chip after you put the SC in? The SC by itself might be way way enough horsepower even without the chip.

I would put the SC in first and leave the JET in there and see how happy you are with the power first. Then you can decide if you want to switch chips.

Take one step at a time because you can start to confuse yourself if you try to think about too many variables at once.

When do you plan on having the SC installed? Soon??

Tom

Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Basically, I want a crazy insane supper aggressive burn, and a "toned down" burn. Basically, is a 2 stage with stock and a custom a possibility, or do you HAVE to go 3 stage. If you dont, what would be the point in the 3 stage? Ever. I could never use the other two burns.

SC will be installed the weekend of the 5th.

Garrett

Old 12-12-2003, 12:09 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
The JET must be removed, according to Derek, once the install is completed.

Garrett

Quick Reply: Diablo Chip Report