2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

ROAD RAGE

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 03:36 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,443 Likes on 1,824 Posts
ROAD RAGE

So, I was on my way to a job location Saturday night, drove through a small town in Indiana, turned onto Indiana 15, as I did a pair of scooters turned behind me and the one guy was on my bumper right away, EXTREMELY BRIGHT LED headlights on his bike, and shining them right into my driver mirror, making it extremely hard to see where I was going. Watching the nav for the road I was supposed to turn on to go to the location, started to get close to it and laid my foot on the brake pedal to slow down looking for the road, with bright headlight scooter guy still on my bumper. Then as I slowed, scooter guy whips around me and as he passes my door going full throttle, he hit my mirror with his hand, and knocked it completely forward, knocking the mirror glass out of the mirror, then he and his buddy roared off down the highway. Scared the BEJEEBERS out of me, but I went into full pursuit mode and chased after them. Went down the highway into Michigan a ways when they suddenly slowed down and turned onto a side street and I turned with them. The guys stopped in the middle of the road, and the guy that hit my mirror got off his scooter and came back to my window, I had grabbed my 4-D cell flashlight in case I needed a tool, and rolled the window down a bit and told him he busted my mirror, he started screaming that I "BRAKE CHECKED HIM!" I told him he was full of crap, all I did was slow down to find the street I was looking for to make my turn. He kept on ranting about me brake checking him. I got my phone out, should have had it on video but I didn't think quick enough, and by the time I got the camera turned on he had gotten back on his scooter and was starting to take off and that was when I got the pick of the back of it and his license plate. I decided not to follow him any more, I needed to get back to the job location, a guy was waiting for me so I could get in and pick up the trailer.

When I got to the location and got the trailer I called the local sheriff, and they sent out a deputy to do a report. Deputy said I could file charges if I wanted, said he figured it would go down as a criminal mischief charge, but since the guy was from Michigan and the offense happened in Indiana, that they might have some difficulty doing much about it, and it is my word against the scooter guy. Deputy said he would take the plate number and try an run the guy, see if they could get ahold of him, and he would let me know, so far I haven't heard back.
And, here is the result, missing mirror glass and holder and torn harness ends...

Perpetrated by this no good SOB!!!

Any Michigan LEO's on this forum???

Old 05-13-2024, 03:59 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 420 Likes on 280 Posts
typical bike shenanigans.

The following 5 users liked this post by honda250xtitan:
Old 05-13-2024, 04:21 PM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,112 Likes on 607 Posts
I had someone riding my axx the other day through the mountains. I had to jam on the brakes because deer were crossing the road. The guy riding my axx almost crashed off road trying to avoid hitting me and hitting the deer. He was pulling an inclosed trailer with snowmobiles in it. I laughed my axx off.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:25 PM
2021F350
Laughing Gas
Received 263 Likes on 189 Posts
That could be an expensive fix as there are a lot of sensors in there... $1,700 Canadian for a new one here... Scooters...??? Is that what they are called there...??? I would have thought twice about following those type of "scooters"...

Old 05-13-2024, 04:35 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2021F350
That could be an expensive fix as there are a lot of sensors in there... $1,700 Canadian for a new one here... Scooters...??? Is that what they are called there...???
Yeah, 1500+ down here, list price, found one at a discount, about 1100.
But, the mirror housing is intact, and the adjuster motors and lights are all working, except of course the BLIS indicator, wire harness ends ripped off.
Have to see if there are any individual parts, what it would take to fix it.
The Ford parts catalog seems to list individual parts for the mirrors though.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:45 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,826 Likes on 1,372 Posts
Shoulda gave his bike a bump and knocked it off the kickstand while he was at your window and said "there, now we're even!" LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by ATC Crazy:
Old 05-13-2024, 05:40 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Shoulda gave his bike a bump and knocked it off the kickstand while he was at your window and said "there, now we're even!" LOL
Oh, I thought about it, but my luck it would have bent my bumper or scratched the paint on the fender or something.
What I'd like is the scene in "Smokey and the Bandit" where Cletus runs over all the biker gang's bikes, "FAR OUT MAN!"

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-2024, 06:13 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,420 Likes on 881 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Oh, I thought about it, but my luck it would have bent my bumper or scratched the paint on the fender or something.
What I'd like is the scene in "Smokey and the Bandit" where Cletus runs over all the biker gang's bikes, "FAR OUT MAN!"
These bikers sounded like seem manchildren who just had to "keep it real". But I am partly glad this did not escalate any further for everyone's sake.

This is also partly on the manufacturers, making the mirror a large yet relatively fragile part. In the old days with the simpler mirrors without all the plastic and sensors, the miscreant would have hurt his hand trying to slap the mirrors on a bullnose or squarenose.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-2024, 06:28 PM
6.8L_V8_DRW
Tuned
Received 237 Likes on 136 Posts
Good thing nobody ended up with a large caliber sucking chest wound in all of that. You have a great sense of control to not to have shot him in the face.

One the other hand you crossing state lines chasing two aggressive bikers down a side road are very lucky to not have ended up in a hole and your truck in a freaking lake.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6.8L_V8_DRW:
Old 05-13-2024, 06:39 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,420 Likes on 881 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.8L_V8_DRW
Good thing nobody ended up with a large caliber sucking chest wound in all of that. You have a great sense of control to not to have shot him in the face.

One the other hand you crossing state lines chasing two aggressive bikers down a side road are very lucky to not have ended up in a hole and your truck in a freaking lake.
Where my folks are from, some years back, something similar to this was how a long running feud started. Nothing like the Hatfields and McCoys but it ran for quite a while and some people ended up in prison for no good reason at all, real waste of some otherwise great young (at the time) men.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:45 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,125 Likes on 1,597 Posts
But, the mirror housing is intact, and the adjuster motors and lights are all working, except of course the BLIS indicator, wire harness ends ripped off.
That mirror glass is available separately, can't remember the exact cost, I want to say around $150 depending on options (heated, Blis..).

Old 05-13-2024, 06:49 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 420 Likes on 280 Posts
i had a hit and run on my truck a few years ago. we managed to find just the glass instead of the whole assembly. It was similar damage as yours. The dealer did the fix. the whole mirror was like 1200 for just an xlt pre covid mirror. i think glass was a couple hundred.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,536 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Sucks but probably not much can be done unless the sherrif contacts the Michigan and runs the plate and then serves a warrant for the hit and run.

Then you get his insurance and give them your police report and claim.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:19 PM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 816 Likes on 373 Posts
He would have had more damage than that to him and / or his stupid POS if he broke my mirror like that.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:24 PM
Bugzilla46310
Fleet Mechanic
Received 315 Likes on 170 Posts
Hindsight you should have really brake checked him.

Quick Reply: ROAD RAGE