Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 04:54 AM
MARCSPSD
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Mobil 1 ATF in my transmission and transfer case. Almost 400k miles. 1 owner, Me.

Enough said!

This is on my "built 4R100" which replaced the original transmission early on. (Mechanical diode failure) 6.0 Ford transmission cooler and Suncoast triple disk billet converter done at same time.

Original transfer case.

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3 PSD

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-09-2023, 06:00 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,693 Likes on 1,187 Posts
Great info @MARCSPSD . What does your change schedule look like?

Old 06-09-2023, 07:12 AM
MARCSPSD
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I drain transmission pan about 20-30 k. Transmission builder says waste of money to change at 20k. So about 25k average, but never over 30k.

I rarely change the transmission filter. Transmission builder says if the trans filter is full of debris, you have a big problem that a filter will not fix.

But I do change the trans filter once every few years. I drain and fill the transfer case much less. I would have to check my records on this one. I did drain and refill recently. Mobil 1 ATF every time for the transmission and the transfer case.

I always thought, wrongly, that the transfer case only works when the 4x4 is engaged. I only use 4x4 very infrequently. Once or twice a month I drive on grass for a few hundred yards to keep everything working properly.

Actually I drain/exchange every fluid in the Excursion now and then. Brake fluid, fluid in the power steering reservoir, differentials, Shell Rotella ELC for the cooling system.
And engine oil of course! Shell Rotella synthetic 5w-40 almost exclusively. I have tried the 15w-40 weight a few times in the summer, due to the well known shortages of Rotella synthetic that we all know about. Did not notice any differences, but I live in S Fl. Always very hot. The coldest this truck has ever seen is in the mid 20's a few times in the Ga winter. Never seen snow either.

Truck runs as well as new, some 22 years after I bought it! Looks almost new as well!

These old 7.3 trucks are very common in S Fl. In all the years I have been driving this Ex, the 6.7 guys never brag about their rigs. They often mention the great memories and reliability of their old and gone 7.3's.

Note: My Ex has only been to the dealership 1 time for a check engine light. About 15 years ago. Diagnosed as a bad glow plug and they charged me almost $500. to fix. They gave me my money back when the light came back on a few days later. Since then, I have been lucky enough to know a few Ford Master techs that have fixed my truck instead. (on the side not at the dealership)

All the basic maintenance has been done by me.

About 100 oil changes so far. When the truck was new and using Dino oil the oil was changed at 3k or less. Since switching to synthetic 5k or less.

Just my 2 cents but the above has worked very well for me!

The following 3 users liked this post by MARCSPSD:
Old 06-09-2023, 08:14 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Received 275 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Great info @MARCSPSD . What does your change schedule look like?

Originally Posted by MARCSPSD
I drain transmission pan about 20-30 k. Transmission builder says waste of money to change at 20k. So about 25k average, but never over 30k.

I rarely change the transmission filter. Transmission builder says if the trans filter is full of debris, you have a big problem that a filter will not fix.

But I do change the trans filter once every few years. I drain and fill the transfer case much less. I would have to check my records on this one. I did drain and refill recently. Mobil 1 ATF every time for the transmission and the transfer case.

I always thought, wrongly, that the transfer case only works when the 4x4 is engaged. I only use 4x4 very infrequently. Once or twice a month I drive on grass for a few hundred yards to keep everything working properly.

These old 7.3 trucks are very common in S Fl. In all the years I have been driving this Ex, the 6.7 guys never brag about their rigs. They often mention the great memories and reliability of their old and gone 7.3's.

All the basic maintenance has been done by me.

About 100 oil changes so far. When the truck was new and using Dino oil the oil was changed at 3k or less. Since switching to synthetic 5k or less.

Just my 2 cents but the above has worked very well for me!

@RacinJasonWV and @MARCSPSD Jason, your experience is noted, MARCSPSD still trying to figure out how to address you.. so mercon v is OK? on amazon the XL12 is available... please tell me its not counterfeit chinessium... I just ordered 8 quarts.. I will send it back if there are a bunch of misspelling's on the bottle or packaging. i need to do my ZF6, and trans case as well as I have no clue when the PO did it last.

Ken

Last edited by kenn_chan; 06-09-2023 at 08:15 AM. Reason: editing for brevity.