6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 F350 Cold side Intercooler pipe recommendation & tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F350 Cold side Intercooler pipe recommendation & tuning??

Hello,

I'm in need of upgrading my stock F350 6.7 chassis cabs cold side intercooler pipe.

Their are so many brands and reviews I'm unsure what one I should get.. i was leaning towards sinister diesels cold air pipe because its made of mostly metal and only has two clamps at the elbow where it connects to the intercooler.

Would you mind recommending me a brand(s) I should be considering. I'm getting the hiss/whoosh sound and it looks like my cold side pipe is going so i need to replace asap. This is my work truck for HVACr and I can have the truck out of service.

I really appreciate any input.

ONE MORE QUESTION
Has anyone added a tuner to their 2015 f350 6.7 chassis cab? I was thinking of getting a very mild tune just to help clean up how the truck burns and to give it more efficiency (mpg) if possible. I know that banks Derringer tuner works on chassis cabs as does dp tuners tunes. I don't want to add a stealth box or one of those junky things. If anything I was thinking of adding a throttle sensitivity booster. Anyone hear of this brand?

https://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/en/throttle-controllers-ford/2011-2019-ford-f-350-super-duty_39.htm

Thanks
Patrick

Old 07-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Buying name brands doesn't always mean better. Sometimes it means spending extra coins for the name. You can now get a cold side kit for less than $125 with one metal tube and the lower a molded silicone hose.

Here is a link to where I installed a two metal tube version. The kits was approx $150 with free shipping 4 plus years ago. I bought it off eBay. You can find no name brands there that are the same quality as the named brands for a lot lower cost.

Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here is a link to some cold side kits. Some kits include the hot side but it is not needed as the factory hot side is metal tube already.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ipe+-%28oem%29

Old 07-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
Thanks for your input. Is it worth getting the larger diameter cold side intercooler pipe rather than the 2.75”? Brand doesn't matter to me. I'm more interested in how it fits, its durability and slight Performance/lower EGTs.

Is getting a coolant filter worth the investment? I have 75k and have had the coolant changed twice and the diffs and transfer case fluid changed because of the constant heavy payload I keep in my Knapheide utility body.

I'm also going to be replacing my rear leaf springs with a set of Dayton 43-1265hd or 43-1699hd from a local commercial suspension shop. The OEM rear leaf springs are a joke when I found out their actual rating for a SRW chassis cab with a GWVR of 11,500.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Buying name brands doesn't always mean better. Sometimes it means spending extra coins for the name. You can now get a cold side kit for less than $125 with one metal tube and the lower a molded silicone hose.

Here is a link to where I installed a two metal tube version. The kits was approx $150 with free shipping 4 plus years ago. I bought it off eBay. You can find no name brands there that are the same quality as the named brands for a lot lower cost.

Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here is a link to some cold side kits. Some kits include the hot side but it is not needed as the factory hot side is metal tube already.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ipe+-%28oem%29

Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
No matter what size tube you buy, you are still limited to the size of the throttle body diameter.

I suspect a coolant filter will not add much if any benefit to your truck since you had two coolant changes. Others might think different and if they do, maybe they will say why.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,435 Likes on 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Nytefog
Hello,

I'm in need of upgrading my stock F350 6.7 chassis cabs cold side intercooler pipe.

Their are so many brands and reviews I'm unsure what one I should get.. i was leaning towards sinister diesels cold air pipe because its made of mostly metal and only has two clamps at the elbow where it connects to the intercooler.

Would you mind recommending me a brand(s) I should be considering. I'm getting the hiss/whoosh sound and it looks like my cold side pipe is going so i need to replace asap. This is my work truck for HVACr and I can have the truck out of service.

ONE MORE QUESTION
Has anyone added a tuner to their 2015 f350 6.7 chassis cab? I was thinking of getting a very mild tune just to help clean up how the truck burns and to give it more efficiency (mpg) if possible. I know that banks Derringer tuner works on chassis cabs as does dp tuners tunes. I don't want to add a stealth box or one of those junky things. If anything I was thinking of adding a throttle sensitivity booster. Anyone hear of this brand?

https://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/...er-duty_39.htm

Thanks
Patrick
Pat, Larry always gives good info. From his EBay links:

If you are stock, this is the type you need with the factory style clip retention end:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Side-I...AAAOSwnlReuks9

This type here which has the throttle valve adapter for the deleted guys. It's the piece with the 4 bolt flange on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-7L-Powers...EAAOSwm69esMuA

Now with that being said, if I was to do it again and not use the Rudy's kit, I'd go with SPEs cold pipe upgrade. Again, that is just me.

https://spediesel.com/collections/en...cold-side-pipe

Yes, it's more. But I like the fact it's one piece. There's also ports in the throttle adapter which could be used with say, a methanol injection system. Again, just me. YMMV...

DO NOT USE A STEALTH FOX or any other type box. It just fools the ECM to add more fuel, that's it. As to a Derringer with a chassis cab, I'm not sure but I just checked Bank's site and they list the F450 and F550 also. So I'm not sure. I thought the chassis cab engines were derated so not sure. I'd contact them to find out.

If you couldn't do the Derringer tuner, ask about their Pedal Monster for your chassis cab truck.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM
cumminsdieselfreak
Junior User
Hello,

ONE MORE QUESTION

https://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/...er-duty_39.htm

Thanks
Patrick
PM sent my friend.

Romans 10:13
See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
Joe@DudesDieselPerformance.com
https://dudesdieselperformance.com/
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,007 Likes on 775 Posts
Pushers cold side pipe has two NPT connections which is handy for boost sensors and methional injection systems

Old 07-10-2020, 06:58 AM
55 BelAir Wagon
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Overkill2

This type here which has the throttle valve adapter for the deleted guys. It's the piece with the 4 bolt flange on it.

Dave,
Can you explain why the aftermarket cold air intake pipes eliminate the throttle plate? I don't understand why they remove it.

Thanks,
John

Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by 55 BelAir Wagon
Dave,
Can you explain why the aftermarket cold air intake pipes eliminate the throttle plate? I don't understand why they remove it.

Thanks,
John
I just looked up the answer myself as I keep learning here as I go.

Diesels don't need a throttle valve but in the emissions world we live in now, it helps with EGR operation and efficient engine shutdown. I'll let the link explain in better and more detail.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tle-plate.html

Old 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
I appreciate all the info from everyone. I just like to slightly mod my truck and add any type of product that will add to longevity.

I would never use any type of stealth box B.S. product.

I know the Banks Derringer works with my truck but haven't been able to find anyone who has actually reviewed its performance or problems on a f350 chassis cab.
I also could always get a DP Tuners tune. I gave DP Tuners my vehicles strategy and they said no problem tuning it. I believe that's who what the dude on you tube, powerstroke Help, uses for his tuning with his trucks with emmissions intact.

That SPE cold air pipe looks nice.. im trying to find one that only uses two clamps. Sinister Diesels cold air pipe look very nice with the only clamps on the elbow on the intercooler and the cold air pipe. Problem that it's back ordered for at least 2 weeks. I almost got that afe blade because I could pick it up locally.

Anyone install one of those cp4 pump bypass kits? I like products that will help keep my truck running well and long. This is the reason I asked about the coolant filtration. I had a Amsoil dial remote oil bypass kit but I removed it because it made my oil pump whine and that was not ok with me.

I use Better Diesel FBC and a mixture of Optilube XL and Boost as my fuel additive. I like Better Diesel FBC because it reduced my regens. I do a lot of stop-and-go driving. The diesel fuel in NJ isn't very good. I've never seen Cetane rating higher than 40 at the pump ever. Premium Diesel fuel or bio diesel never seen it. I found companies that will sell you bulk premium diesel but i don't want to deal with fuel storage and the liabilities associated

Pat, Larry always gives good info. From his EBay links:

If you are stock, this is the type you need with the factory style clip retention end:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Side-I...AAAOSwnlReuks9

Now with that being said, if I was to do it again and not use the Rudy's kit, I'd go with SPEs cold pipe upgrade. Again, that is just me.

https://spediesel.com/collections/en...cold-side-pipe

Yes, it's more. But I like the fact it's one piece. There's also ports in the throttle adapter which could be used with say, a methanol injection system. Again, just me. YMMV...

DO NOT USE A STEALTH FOX or any other type box. It just fools the ECM to add more fuel, that's it. As to a Derringer with a chassis cab, I'm not sure but I just checked Bank's site and they list the F450 and F550 also. So I'm not sure. I thought the chassis cab engines were derated so not sure. I'd contact them to find out.

If you couldn't do the Derringer tuner, ask about their Pedal Monster for your chassis cab truck.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I appreciate all the info from everyone. I just like to slightly mod my truck and add any type of product that will add to longevity.

I would never use any type of stealth box B.S. product.

I know the Banks Derringer works with my truck but haven't been able to find anyone who has actually reviewed its performance or problems on a f350 chassis cab.
I also could always get a DP Tuners tune. I gave DP Tuners my vehicles strategy and they said no problem tuning it. I believe that's who what the dude on you tube, powerstroke Help, uses for his tuning with his trucks with emmissions intact.

That SPE cold air pipe looks nice.. im trying to find one that only uses two clamps. Sinister Diesels cold air pipe look very nice with the only clamps on the elbow on the intercooler and the cold air pipe. Problem that it's back ordered for at least 2 weeks. I almost got that afe blade because I could pick it up locally.

Anyone install one of those cp4 pump bypass kits? I like products that will help keep my truck running well and long. This is the reason I asked about the coolant filtration. I had a Amsoil dial remote oil bypass kit but I removed it because it made my oil pump whine and that was not ok with me.

I use Better Diesel FBC and a mixture of Optilube XL and Boost as my fuel additive. I like Better Diesel FBC because it reduced my regens. I do a lot of stop-and-go driving. The diesel fuel in NJ isn't very good. I've never seen Cetane rating higher than 40 at the pump ever. Premium Diesel fuel or bio diesel never seen it. I found companies that will sell you bulk premium diesel but i don't want to deal with fuel storage and the liabilities associated
There's a user on here that has experience with Jody at DP-Tuner. He's also a sponsor here as well. I can't remember if it's this section because I'm on my phone now. There's also 5 Star Tuning as well. I have no experience with either.

I'd search in this section as there are threads on the DPK for the CP4.2s. I want one also at one point. I'm going to go with S&S Diesel's kit.

I haven't heard of too many guys running the coolant filter kits as it doesn't seem to be a problem as opposed to the older engines. But I'm no expert. Besides, it mounts where I have my oil catch can.

I have been using K100 religiously since I bought my truck new. The pumps here in my area say MIN 40 CETANE. I know or have heard that most of the diesel sold here is a B2 to B5 fuel.

I have plans for a CAI, 5 inch DPF back pipe (mostly for looks; just to be different), S&B fuel tank, AFE DFS 780 filter/pump, Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster amongst other things like aftermarket bumpers front and rear.

Good luck with your truck. Let us know what you go with.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
There's a user on here that has experience with Jody at DP-Tuner. He's also a sponsor here as well. I can't remember if it's this section because I'm on my phone now. There's also 5 Star Tuning as well. I have no experience with either.

I'd search in this section as there are threads on the DPK for the CP4.2s. I want one also at one point. I'm going to go with S&S Diesel's kit.

I haven't heard of too many guys running the coolant filter kits as it doesn't seem to be a problem as opposed to the older engines. But I'm no expert. Besides, it mounts where I have my oil catch can.

I have been using K100 religiously since I bought my truck new. The pumps here in my area say MIN 40 CETANE. I know or have heard that most of the diesel sold here is a B2 to B5 fuel.

I have plans for a CAI, 5 inch DPF back pipe (mostly for looks; just to be different), S&B fuel tank, AFE DFS 780 filter/pump, Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster amongst other things like aftermarket bumpers front and rear.

Good luck with your truck. Let us know what you go with.

So I got the Sinister Diesel Cold air side intercooler pipe. I’m happy with it and it came with a new wire locking ring.

My next upgrade this fall will be new rear leafs springs Dayton 43-1265HD, 5400 lbs. my stock springs are a joke even with chassis Cab Timbrens and Supersprings. They are embarrassingly noisy. If I could afford Rickson 19.5” wheels for my I would get those as well.

anyone know how to determine rear leaf spring ratings? My trucks code is DDHH.
I have a 2015 F350 Supercab, 6.7, 18” alloys, Chassis & Cab,11,500 GVWR.

My next upgrade will be the Banks Pedal monster with idash Datamonster. I plan on getting the Derringer since I have a Chassis Cab truck in the future.

Any suggestion on. What eles I should get for this truck? I have a set of Rigid Q2 Fogs.

i had a Amsoil 6.7 Powerstroke dual remote oil bypass kit but removed it because my oil pump would whine pretty loud and I couldn’t use the Motorcraft oil filter. I like to get another Oil bypass filtration system but I really don’t want one that discharge the oil into the oil fill cap. I’ve seen those oil filter sandwich devices but don’t if they are okay to use for filtration. Most are used for oil coolers. Any suggestions?

I use Schaeffer Superme 9000 5w-40 CJ-4 but their new OTR 5w-40 CK-4 has much more PAO base stock. They will sell direct to the public but minimum order is $375. It’s $153 for (6) 1 gallons jugs which is a really good price.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2020, 09:47 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

So I got the Sinister Diesel Cold air side intercooler pipe. I’m happy with it and it came with a new wire locking ring.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice of the CAC cold pipe upgrade.

My next upgrade this fall will be new rear leafs springs Dayton 43-1265HD, 5400 lbs. my stock springs are a joke even with chassis Cab Timbrens and Supersprings. They are embarrassingly noisy. If I could afford Rickson 19.5” wheels for my I would get those as well.

anyone know how to determine rear leaf spring ratings? My trucks code is DDHH.
I have a 2015 F350 Supercab, 6.7, 18” alloys, Chassis & Cab,11,500 GVWR.

Check out your GAWRs front and rear. My truck is also 11.5k lbs GVWR. My rear is rated for 7k lbs.

My next upgrade will be the Banks Pedal monster with idash Datamonster. I plan on getting the Derringer since I have a Chassis Cab truck in the future.

I want a Derringer and a Pedal Monster as well.

Any suggestion on. What eles I should get for this truck? I have a set of Rigid Q2 Fogs.

will edit later

i had a Amsoil 6.7 Powerstroke dual remote oil bypass kit but removed it because my oil pump would whine pretty loud and I couldn’t use the Motorcraft oil filter. I like to get another Oil bypass filtration system but I really don’t want one that discharge the oil into the oil fill cap. I’ve seen those oil filter sandwich devices but don’t if they are okay to use for filtration. Most are used for oil coolers. Any suggestions?

I have a Filtration Solutions FS2500 bypass filter. I converted it to the spin on filter kit. It's huge. Why are you against a return line on the oil fill cap? Did you ever get ahold of Amsoil about your problem with their bypass setup on your truck?

I use Schaeffer Superme 9000 5w-40 CJ-4 but their new OTR 5w-40 CK-4 has much more PAO base stock. They will sell direct to the public but minimum order is $375. It’s $153 for (6) 1 gallons jugs which is a really good price.

That's a good price, no doubt. I still run the Motorcraft 10w30. I have 2 6 gallon Bag in the boxes left to run through before I go to the Triax synthetic blend 10w30. I have a 5 gallon pail of it. It cost $4.50 per quart. I will probably run their full synthetic which comes out to about $6.00 per quart.

Thanks
+10 character

Old 08-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I am looking at these for upgrading my factory fog lights to LEDs.

I would go with the more powerful Sport kit probably in amber due to the snow and fog we get where I live.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...-legacy-1.html

Have you considered adding a digital monitor to pull info for PIDS to monitor when driving the truck?

Old 02-20-2021, 06:42 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Thanks for your input. Is it worth getting the larger diameter cold side intercooler pipe rather than the 2.75”? Brand doesn't matter to me. I'm more interested in how it fits, its durability and slight Performance/lower EGTs.

Is getting a coolant filter worth the investment? I have 75k and have had the coolant changed twice and the diffs and transfer case fluid changed because of the constant heavy payload I keep in my Knapheide utility body.

I'm also going to be replacing my rear leaf springs with a set of Dayton 43-1265hd or 43-1699hd from a local commercial suspension shop. The OEM rear leaf springs are a joke when I found out their actual rating for a SRW chassis cab with a GWVR of 11,500.

Thanks again
If you haven't done so yet, you should do a fluid drop and fill for the 6R140. A filter change would probably be in order also. I wouldn't wait on doing that. The 8 quarts you drain and refill will freshen up the additive package in the Mercon LV.