Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install

Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install

The first few photos show the contents. Photo 1 shows that Rudy's now includes a new clip and O-ring seal. My 2015 does NOT have a seal in the cold air tube as some other year models might have. The lower hose has some offsets in it as do some of the other kits. Photo 2 & 3 are close ups of the lower hose.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4 & 5 shows how I attached the clamp that most state is too small and difficult to install. I installed the clamp without the spring and tightened it enough so I could later remove the nut and install the spring. Once I had the nut tightened sufficiently, I used some safety wire to secure the two ends of the clamp for removing the nut to install the spring. Photo 6 is the wire clipped and removed. Photo 7 & 8 are a mock up of the upper sections of the tubes. They were later separated for installation.

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Photo's 9, 10, 11 & 12 are the stock tube and removal of it. Notice, the power steering reservoir was not relocated. I used a long pry bar to help removed the stock lower hose from the innercooler

Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11

Photo 12

Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Forgot to take photos of the lower hose install but is fairly simple. With the offsets in the lower hose, I lubricated it with glass window cleaner and wiggled it on with the clamp loosely on the innercooler side of the hose. Took a little effort but was not excessive to get it to slip on the innercooler. I visually aligned the hose so the opening pointed pretty much straight up and snugged, not tightened, the clamp on the innercooler side.

I had to persuade the throttle body adapter to slip on after i put some grease on the O-ring. I temporarily disconnected the coolant hose from the reservoir so I could use a rubber mallet to bump the adapter onto the throttle body. Photo 13 showes adapter installed with the reducer hose and the intermediate pipe inserted into the lower hose with clamp in place on both ends. A little wiggling and I was able to insert the intermediate tube into reducer hose. Photo 14 shows the direction of the lower clamp for the intermediate tube. This allowed me to reach in with a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm socket to tighten it.

Photo 13

Photo 14

Old 09-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Photos 15, 16 and 17 shows final assembly. The PS reservoir is still in stock location and no interference problems. I did rotate the PS hose clamp 90 degrees to avoid rubbing the lower innercooler hose.

Install was about an hour and a half. A lot of this time was making multiple trips to my little shop to get tools or grease or towels. Road test went well with no problems and no codes.

Photo 15

Photo 16

Photo 17

Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Iowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputation
Nice step by step install Larry.
Thanks for sharing !

Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I know it's kind of a pain to post all those pictures and comments, thanks.

I have the AFE one and I get oil mist leaking out of the reducer on top of the turbo inlet. The AFE kit comes with an o ring too but it's just a little loose fitting. Your rudys kit looks good.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Nice write-up, pictures, and handy tips in dealing with the known clamp issue.

Did you take the time to look at and possibly clean the butterfly inside the throttle body? Mine on my 2015 was covered in about an 1/8 inch of crud. Took a moment and several towels to clean this off before I started to install my Rudy's kit. I have well over 5,000 miles on my Rudy's kit and outside of the clamp issue, think this is the way to go. With the great tips here, the clamp issue may not be a big deal and the Rudy's kit is a quality piece at a nice price.

If you have to clean the crud, put on some gloves. The crud is really tough to get off your hands afterwards. Wish I would have taken a moment to put a set of disposable gloves on.

Bruce...

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
I looked into the throttle body but wasn't much crude, so did not clean it.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Overkill2
Posting Guru
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great write up with comments and that "wire the clamp w/out spring" tip is brilliant. I was thinking of documenting my Rudy's install, which I haven't done yet, but there's no reason to do so now...

Great job.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I had been using Archoil AR6200 in my fuel since about 3000 miles. When I installed the Rudy's kit at 40,000, my throttle body was clean.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM
FrostyMug
New User
FrostyMug is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like your serpentine belt is on upside down.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FrostyMug View Post
Looks like your serpentine belt is on upside down.
Yes, it does look upside down but it isn't. The dual alternator engines have grooves on both sides of the belt and no flat side as you are use to seeing.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Bohen
Elder User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.
Can you post a link to this kit every time I punch in cold air intake kit or cold air kit the air filter kit pops up

Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Overkill2
Posting Guru
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Search rudy's cac kit or 6.7 Powerstroke cac pipe kit. Or something along those lines...

Old 09-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bohen View Post
Can you post a link to this kit every time I punch in cold air intake kit or cold air kit the air filter kit pops up
I made them an offer of $150 and it was accepted. You might try less than $150.

Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit For 11-16 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel | eBay

Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit For 2011-2016 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 Diesel | eBay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: