Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:47 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 827 Likes on 470 Posts
Doesn't the S300 run a 4.21" Marmon flange? Turbonator isn't 4.21?

Old 08-04-2020, 12:15 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by brokestroke
Doesn't the S300 run a 4.21" Marmon flange? Turbonator isn't 4.21?
Yes 4.21 to be precise but even Carson at CSD calls it 4 1/8". Nope, you get a choice of 4" or 4 1/2" on the Turbonator.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:27 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Good to know. I was able to use my 4" gtp38 downpipe flange on my S366 with only slight modification. Did they say there were any differences in the housing besides the choice of 4" or 4.5".

Old 08-04-2020, 12:48 PM
FordTruckNoob
You also have a choice between a 71mm or 74mm exducer for S300 series turbos or 83mm or 74mm exducers for S400 series turbos. Look at the middle pull down menu on this page:

https://www.dieselpowersource.com/tu...urbine-housing

Old 08-04-2020, 12:55 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
I see now, the 4" flange is a standard hx40 flange from what it sounds like.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:12 PM
FordTruckNoob
Sorry, I am bot familiar enough with Holset turbos to say if it is or not. It would make sense since DPS seems to be primarily focused on Dodge/Cummins.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:21 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
I thought I saw in one of their videos that they were working on a drop-in for the 7.3. I sent an email asking if that was still the case, but they never replied? Has anybody talked to them to see if a "drop-in" version was being created for the 7.3? Was just curious on the potential results of a "drop-in" Turbonator for the 7.3" vs doing the T4 conversion.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:37 PM
FordTruckNoob
Got a link to the video?

Old 08-04-2020, 05:02 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Got a link to the video?
If you watch the end of their own promotional video of "What does the Turbonator VGT fit?" they mention towards the end that they are working on one for the 7.3....

https://www.dieselpowersource.com/wh...onator-vgt-fit

Old 08-04-2020, 05:18 PM
FordTruckNoob
Oh yes I remember that video now. I asked them about the 7.3 kit but they hemmed and hawwed when I asked for a date so I decided to continue down the T4/SXE path since I was already headed that way.

It appears the 6.0 kit uses a simple adapter to go from the factory v-band coupling to a T3/T4 style flange and a simple replacement pedestal to support the turbo. I wonder why none of the T4 kit manufacturers decided to go this route instead of full up pipe replacement.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:33 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Oh yes I remember that video now. I asked them about the 7.3 kit but they hemmed and hawwed when I asked for a date so I decided to continue down the T4/SXE path since I was already headed that way.
I can see converting to the T4 setup being the "best" overall choice for more available options. But when you combine the T4 price and the Turbonator price (especially if you add the exhaust brake) it gets pricey for the average person (as you very well know being in the middle of the conversion). If they had a "drop-in" 7.3 version, and you added the exhaust brake, in the end it might be close to the same price as everyone doing the T4/SXE conversion (with the added bonus of exhaust brake). So would add another option to the table, and would be very curious on the results. This all being "if" they eventually offer a 7.3 drop-in.

I'm sure a lot of people here are curious to see your results with the Turbonator.

As far as the up-pipe flange and T4 kits, it might be something you can bring up to CSD or Irate and point out the Turbonator option. Maybe it is something they can create as an available option?

Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
I emailed DPS about the Turbonator option for the 7.3L again. They replied that they put that project on hold for awhile. No timeframe.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,516 Likes on 2,874 Posts
My suspicion is that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of 7.3L trucks still on the road, but less and less everyday. The Garrett GTP38 turbo design is old and outdated by at least 15 years now.

The margin for profit in an aging platform such as the 7.3L is getting smaller everyday.

The T4 platform is a huge consideration when designing something
like this that spans many different manufacturers and uses.

I think it us sheer risk vs reward or research/development cost vs payback.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

On a personal note, I am very interested to see what Leonard comes up with and I hope his adventure is a great success. But, this modification is in no way shape or form in the cards for me.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:37 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You mean gobbledygook with a hint of balderdash ? Yes, I am well-versed.

I was a flight test engineer in one of my previous lives.
Hey Leonard, I think you and I might have actually worked together, this was back when I was still a crash test dummy.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:43 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by sjbj
I can see converting to the T4 setup being the "best" overall choice for more available options. But when you combine the T4 price and the Turbonator price (especially if you add the exhaust brake) it gets pricey for the average person (as you very well know being in the middle of the conversion). If they had a "drop-in" 7.3 version, and you added the exhaust brake, in the end it might be close to the same price as everyone doing the T4/SXE conversion (with the added bonus of exhaust brake). So would add another option to the table, and would be very curious on the results. This all being "if" they eventually offer a 7.3 drop-in.

I'm sure a lot of people here are curious to see your results with the Turbonator.

As far as the up-pipe flange and T4 kits, it might be something you can bring up to CSD or Irate and point out the Turbonator option. Maybe it is something they can create as an available option?
Originally Posted by sjbj
I emailed DPS about the Turbonator option for the 7.3L again. They replied that they put that project on hold for awhile. No timeframe.
Yeah, I really took a reaming on this cost-wise but I hope this is the first and last turbo conversion that this truck sees in its (my?) lifetime. I doubt the likes of CSD, Irate and Obsession will want to retool to create a cheaper T4 conversion kit but I will mention it to them. DPS could possibly have copyrights on that v-band to T3/T4 flange adapter also.

Originally Posted by Sous
My suspicion is that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of 7.3L trucks still on the road, but less and less everyday. The Garrett GTP38 turbo design is old and outdated by at least 15 years now.

The margin for profit in an aging platform such as the 7.3L is getting smaller everyday.

The T4 platform is a huge consideration when designing something
like this that spans many different manufacturers and uses.

I think it us sheer risk vs reward or research/development cost vs payback.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

On a personal note, I am very interested to see what Leonard comes up with and I hope his adventure is a great success. But, this modification is in no way shape or form in the cards for me.
I have to agree with Sous on the reasons why DPS appears to have shelved their 7.3 project. Unless our generation truck achieves cult status like classic Mustangs where aftermarket companies spring up to manufacture parts for them, I do not see anybody investing money in developing kits except for morons like me.

Originally Posted by countrycar
Hey Leonard, I think you and I might have actually worked together, this was back when I was still a crash test dummy.
I knew I recognizedyou!!

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread