FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
205/80 aint so big,just a littlest baby hybrids..😁

Old 07-11-2020, 05:03 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
You guys are confirming a suspicion I have had for the last few months. I will be performing a pressure test to look for boost leaks this morning but I suspect the 38R itself may be toast. When I first installed the 38R, I could hear the wheels spooling down for quite awhile after engine shutdown. I have not heard that lately. Drive pressure side seems tight on visual inspection with no soot anywhere.

Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
I just watched it a few times again. Once you punch it are you under full throttle the entire time? Originally I thought you lifted when the boost dropped. But watching it again with the sound up and looking at the speedometer it almost looks like it dropped boost while still accelerating. If that’s the case then something is wrong here. (Where’s the head scratch emoji?)

And Dan brings up a good point. I’d think those big injectors Noob is running should light the turbo pretty quickly.
Getting off the ramp and onto the freeway, there were two instances of acceleration. On the first one you can hear the transmission downshift when I get on the go pedal.Then one typically passive-aggressive MN goober one lane over to the left sped up to cut me off so I got off the pedal. You can see that in the video where the transmission upshifts and the RPMs drop.Then I get on it again and that's the run where the EGTs got super high.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:51 AM
Ridedan2
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
After watching your video all I can say is you will be thrilled with the SXE. Why does the boost gauge move so erratic?

Old 07-11-2020, 06:43 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I just watched video again.

There is no way I could get EGT to climb that fast with stock or Stage 1 injectors. Even in a HOT tune. In daily and tow tunes it was basically impossible to get over 1250* no matter what I did. In daily tune it would shoot from 400-1000* pretty quick at WOT, but slowly increased over that until waaaaay over the speed limit. Max under 1250*

Something is wrong.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:36 AM
FordTruckNoob
Well whaddya know. I found a massive boost leak at the passenger plenum connection to the y-pipe. Ima fix it and run the baseline again.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:52 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Well whaddya know. I found a massive boost leak at the passenger plenum connection to the y-pipe. Ima fix it and run the baseline again.
Woot woot! Teamwork!

Noob, if you still believe something is up with the 38R after fixing the boost leak then please consider not running it until you can get the new one installed. I’ve heard of 38R failures which allow the bearings to enter the engine becoming much more than a turbo problem.
This isn’t the reason I pulled mine years back as I was told regular oil changes should prevent issues. But I still wanted to mention it to you for consideration.

Now my experience with a 38R.... I hated the top end characteristics of it. But recently with fixing my manifold leak I think maybe I didn’t give it a fair evaluation. I had some drive pressure leak at the uppipe gasket connection and just recently found the manifold leak. It may have performed more to my liking if these leaks were not present..... but I’m never going back to one of those screaming things!!!

Old 07-11-2020, 08:01 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 601 Likes on 391 Posts
In reference to your text from yesterday.....something is jacked....your boost is not anywhere close to what it should be. I would think that with your foot up near the grill, you'd be making in excess of 35 psi.

That's not really a "baseline" for your up coming project.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,516 Likes on 2,874 Posts
New baseline video coming along soon! Looking forward to seeing it. That will give you a real comparison between the GTP38R and the SXE/VGT. Well done on finding the leak!

Old 07-11-2020, 08:18 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
@Dan V I think you may have missed a post(#50). Noob found a boost leak and plans to rerun the baseline once it’s fixed.

on Edit: oops Sous posted while I was typing I guess.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:12 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
38R at full tilt with 6637 and straight piped exhaust sounds like a cat in a blender through headphones turned up to 11. I vaguely remembered I liked it on the test drive........ Then 100’s of HOURS of pulling the 5ver crisscrossing the country made it get old. Really old.

I got ‘busted’ driving like an ******* on a Sunday in Jersey City. Forgot something in the camper and had to return down a street with toooooo damn many speed bumps. Then I realized I forgot something else... On my 3rd trip out I was a bit annoyed. After waiting through the long red light AGAIN, I decided to release my frustration by flipping my chip into the RACE tune and I rowed through the gears up to the next light - leaving a puff of black smoke, pegging the boost gauge and probably leaving 4 stripes of rubber after every shift. At the next light, after my ears stopped ringing, I realized how QUIET the city is on a Sunday (windows were down). It wasn’t until Port Authority came ripping around the corner with lights flashing that I realized how much my display of ignorance must have ECHOED through those tall buildings and solid surfaces EVERYWHERE. Fortunately, the officer did not actually see me break any laws and after yelling and screaming at me for being an ******* - told me to GTFOH.

I sure do not miss it.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:46 PM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Woot woot! Teamwork!
*sob* I luv you guys SOO much!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM
FordTruckNoob
New baseline. This time without boost leak.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:09 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent video! Your EBP is way off and I think it would be a good idea to add MAT next to IAT to compare the discharge temp between the 2 turbos.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 601 Likes on 391 Posts
She's a smokey beast...

Old 07-14-2020, 11:57 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
That looks a little better! Nice work sir.

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread