Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Glad that got it fixed and it's on the way back. Can't wait for the review of this. Is that the carson T4? Is it stainless steel?
Yup, it's the CSD kit. I do not think it's stainless and they don't say if it is either.

Originally Posted by Sous
I too am really looking forward to the results of this. This is simply not in the cards for me, but I fully support your adventure into the unknown and hopeful for incredible results.
Thanks. I'm not generally the sort to pioneer the use of a new untested part but the upside for me (retain EBPV/exhaust brake, possibly better response with an S366) on this if it works is too much to ignore.

Originally Posted by Dan V
I don't see that orientation fitting under the cowl.
Yeah, I'm wondering if that corner of the actuator is higher this way than If I simply place the actuator flat on top.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,516 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Leonard, I just went out and measured from the top of the CSD pedestal like you have your tape measure set on, and there is 12" (1 foot) of clearance from the CSD pedestal to the cowl metal piece. Not the plastic that you might be able to cut into, but the metal of the cowl near the base of the windshield. There might be a bit more space, like 1/2" toward the windshield where your tape measure is, but not a lot.

I put my tape measure at the front of the center section of the SXE in order to measure 12" from the pedestal to the hard cowl.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:17 PM
FordTruckNoob
Leonard, I just went out and measured from the top of the CSD pedestal like you have your tape measure set on, and there is 12" (1 foot) of clearance from the CSD pedestal to the cowl metal piece. Not the plastic that you might be able to cut into, but the metal of the cowl near the base of the windshield. There might be a bit more space, like 1/2" toward the windshield where your tape measure is, but not a lot.

I put my tape measure at the front of the center section of the SXE in order to measure 12" from the pedestal to the hard cowl.
Thanks Sous. That is useful information. It looks like the backwards canted actuator will not work.

Dan, the pictures show the actuator orientation you and I discussed at your shop that day.

Shoot. Maybe I'll just go all rat rod and and have bits sticking up out of the hood.

Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
When you get the chance, clock it flat to the top and see what the height measurement is at that point. I really think that 12" is the absolute maximum you could get under there.

Also, what is the fitting on the bottom of the turbine housing for?

Old 08-01-2020, 03:15 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is video moves a little quick, but it does show how the VGT is set up.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I slowed the video playback to 25% of normal speed. Looks like it is clocked toward the front top, am I seeing that right?

The Y-pipe appears to be cast like the CSD Y-pipe and not piping like the Irate kit.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:32 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
I want to say that you are correct on your assumptions Jeff/Sous. It would have been nice if they had of slowed down and actually shown the VGT's and turbo to get a clearer picture of the install. I tried to find another 7.3 install, but being they're so new and well expensive, they are going to be difficult to come by for now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 363 and the 366 are both very similar in physical size? The 366 that Leonard is installing being maybe slightly larger, but not much more than the 363 that this old boy in the video has installed his truck. So in my mind, they should fit, bolt up very similar to one another.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Jeff, Fast forward to 5.16 min. Fitting on Exhaust housing ties in to the Exhaust Pressure sensor.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:45 PM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by countrycar
This is video moves a little quick, but it does show how the VGT is set up.
Excellent find Carlos. That looks like the way to go then.

I slowed the video playback to 25% of normal speed. Looks like it is clocked toward the front top, am I seeing that right?

The Y-pipe appears to be cast like the CSD Y-pipe and not piping like the Irate kit.
Yes, it appears to be above and to the front.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Definitely toward the front, see the snips I took of the VGT at 25% video speed. I cannot speak to the size differences between 363, 364.5 and 366 though.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 PM
FordTruckNoob
Jeff, Fast forward to 5.16 min. Fitting on Exhaust housing ties in to the Exhaust Pressure sensor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg6yn26ROHI
Yup. The Turbonator comes with both drive pressure and boost pressure sensors. The controller ia programmed with target drive:boost pressure ratios. This can be a static ratio for thw entire operating range (not recommended by DPS) or variable.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:55 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Yup. The Turbonator comes with both drive pressure and boost pressure sensors. The controller ia programmed with target drive:boost pressure ratios. This can be a static ratio for thw entire operating range (not recommended by DPS) or variable.
I've watched quite a few of this guys videos, and he's incredibly talented. Probably an engineer. I'll be honest, when I listen to him alot of what he talks about when he goes off in to the weeds, I have no idea what he's talking about. I've got an idea you and him probably speak the same language Leonard.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:05 PM
FordTruckNoob
I've watched quite a few of this guys videos, and he's incredibly talented. Probably an engineer. I'll be honest, when I listen to him alot of what he talks about when he goes off in to the weeds, I have no idea what he's talking about. I've got an idea you and him probably speak the same language Leonard.
You mean gobbledygook with a hint of balderdash ? Yes, I am well-versed.

I was a flight test engineer in one of my previous lives.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 601 Likes on 391 Posts
Well...you didn't have to climb in the contraption...unlike this.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
You mean gobbledygook with a hint of balderdash ? Yes, I am well-versed.

I was a flight test engineer in one of my previous lives.
Yes sir, it is apparent by your posts. Many well spoken and very smart fellas here on FTE..

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread